Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2006, 04:07 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride

3 days of skimmate out of new H&S skimmer:

oh man you know how much trouble i would be in if i had a cup full of stanky skimmate on my kitchen counter??? you gonna dump that down the sink? i'd be banished for life!! i have to dump it down the toilet in the spare bathroom. then i clean out hte riser of my skimmer (APF600) and i'll go in the bathroom 5-10min later and it smellls like somone dropped a huge bomb in there. can't imagine what your kitchen smells like!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 12/24/2006, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

LOL!

It did smell quite bad, luckily my wife wasn't going to be home for a few hours. She has never said anything about dumping it down the sink other than the horrible smell. Oddly enough, the H&S has a much worse smell than the ASM ever did.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 01/14/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Any updates yet? Great looking tank BTW!!
Old 01/14/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Thank you hulley. The only updates I have are verbal. The skimmer is still performing very well, I picked up a lawnmower blenny and a copperband butterfly, both from Coral Dynamics.

I'm starting to get some troublesome algae growth, probably from overfeeding with the new fish and my laziness with water changes.

Old 01/14/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I picked up my 180g yesterday and I'm using your stand frame work as the basis for my stand. I'll start building this week! My stepdad will be helping me with the wood work seeing as he is a much better wood worker than myself! Are you happy with the panworld 50px-x? I'm thinking of using the blueline (same as panworld I think) 40hd-x. I'll also be using two tunze 6060s.
Old 01/14/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

BTW, I love my lawn mower blenny! His name is "Rocky", he is so cool! very laid back!
Old 01/15/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

My tank is still standing so the framework ought to work for you.

Actually my pump is a blueline 30x, which I'm told is the same. When I bought it the pump was supposed to be the panworld, I just never changed it in my sig.

It works good, is relatively quiet and has been dependable. The pump is probably underpowered for this sized tank but I'd rather it be slow to keep bubbles down.

Old 01/15/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Hey thrlride.. Looking good.

I have the same panworld return pump on my 225. I'm also relatively happy with it.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 01/15/2007, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Jeremy!

I did consider upgrading the return system to a pressure pump and penductors but I didn't want to experience much added noise.

Old 01/15/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

I removed the penductors from my return pump. The antisiphon holes made a spaying mess everytime the pump came on because of the back pressure caused by the penductors.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 01/15/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Speaking of the stand, thrlride, once complete did you have to shim it or level it once in the house? I'm soon starting to build a stand for a 150, and i'm wondering what i'll need to do once i get it inside. Mine will be on tile, which i'm pretty certain isnt perfectly level (though it is quite flat). What did you do?

The red house. Click it!!
Old 01/15/2007, 02:58 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

thrlride you have a nice tank.
totally off topic but you also have the cutest daughter, well right after mine

she is almost 4 and this was her first da of preschool. man they grow up fast.

(the red head is my son who has since gotten a hair cut)

Chris.
Old 01/15/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Speaking of the stand, thrlride, once complete did you have to shim it or level it once in the house? I'm soon starting to build a stand for a 150, and i'm wondering what i'll need to do once i get it inside. Mine will be on tile, which i'm pretty certain isnt perfectly level (though it is quite flat). What did you do?
I built the stand in the garage, which has a slope to it due to drainage needs. This makes it fun making something straight.

After completing the stand I actually used a manual planer and made sure the top was perfectly smooth so it didn't give the bottom of the tank any sharp points. 210 gallons of saltwater on the hardwood floors is not my idea of a good time.

My tank is sitting on the hardwoods, on an area run and I did have to shim it slightly.

Old 01/15/2007, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lordhelmet
thrlride you have a nice tank.
totally off topic but you also have the cutest daughter, well right after mine

she is almost 4 and this was her first da of preschool. man they grow up fast.

(the red head is my son who has since gotten a hair cut)

Chris.
Don't make me whip out the cute pics now! Screw it....

Your daughter and son are very cute, and you are right about them growing up too fast. My daughter just turned 4 one week ago today.

Old 01/15/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Hey Thrlride,
She is such a cutie! I'm getting married in May and if we have a daughter that cute she'll get what ever she wants cause I'll never be able to say NO!!! Please GOD give me a boy!!
I ordered a blueline 40HD-X and another Tunze 6060 today. My step dad is getting the supplies this week and we will build the stand this weekend! I'll take pics and document a thread.
BTW I've followed this thread from the beginning and been very impressed with the craftmanship and tank itself! Keep up the great work!
Old 01/15/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks hulley, she does get whatever she wants. LOL, she even has some hermit crabs in the big tank that she picked out.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!

Good luck on the stand, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. My advice is to glue the outer wood to the wooden frame as well as screw it so it is a tight, strong hold. I went so far as to rip apart the whole stand during assembly to glue it because it worried me.

Old 01/16/2007, 02:27 AM

hey i got those too.

princess aurora and prince phillip for halloween. the pumkin was 21 days old.

ok that was the last one i promise. i just wanted people to know on RC that you arn't the only guy with cute kids.
Old 01/16/2007, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

LOL

Very cute pic. My daughter did the Aurora thing too.

Congrats on the young'n too. My wife is pushing for a second.

Old 01/16/2007, 01:25 PM

let me tell you, 2 is more then twice the work as one. i have no idea how that math works but it does. good luck with that one.

Chris.
Old 01/17/2007, 12:15 AM
SPS Freak

If you are gonna have two, have em close We are done here. I heard after two, there isn't much difference, but two is enough.
Old 01/17/2007, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
If you are gonna have two, have em close We are done here. I heard after two, there isn't much difference, but two is enough.
I suppose I should get to work then, they will be almost 5 years apart if we busy now.

Old 01/17/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Welcome home the new CBB. It was WW3 when he was first put in. The PBT and Sailfin went after him. The CBB couldn't even hide, they seeked him out.

Decent picture of one of my bangaii's

LMB

Side Pic

Opposite side

FTS

Old 12/17/2007, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

great tank! any updates?
Old 12/17/2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I can't believe it's been 11 months since I last looked at this. I'd love to see an update, too! Hope it's going well.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 12/17/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

it was a shocker to see a reply to this! I let the lights get old, neglected on water changed and overall let the tank run on auto-pilot too long. I replaced the two tunze with four wirelessly controlled vortechs and after I did that a huge algae outbreak handicapped the tank. I lost a decent portion of my birdsnest and a few other corals suffered. I replaced all of the lights and stepped up my water changes as well as sisnificantly beefed up the cleaning crew. The algae is almost gone and some corals that had lost their color are coming back around.

I don't have any updated pictures to share but will try to get some soon.