Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Experience with Giesemann Coral bulbs?

To those who have used them, what are your thoughts as to coral color and growth as well as overall look of the tank?

I just (3 days ago) switched out 8 month old Reeflux 12Ks for Giesemann Coral bulbs. I run them on 250 watt SLS HQI ballasts and so far they are very bright, but appear to yellow - not the blue/white I was expecting. The appearance is better with 330 watts of VHO actinic throuwn in, but still a little yellow for me.

Will they burn in and become more blue? On Sanjays sight, they have a large spike in the blue spectrum that led me to believe they would be more blue. Do I need to give them more time?

Also - the colors of the corals seem to be more "washed out" with the new bulbs. The pinks are not as bright and the greens look more olive colored than than the bright green that they were under the RF12K. Will changing the bulbs have a negative effect on the corals?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08/30/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

I am also interested in hearing about G bulbs
Old 08/30/2007, 09:25 PM
Mortar Target

I am using the G-Mann 14.5K bulbs; three of them actually. They are very white with a slight hint of blue to them. My eyes don't detect any yellow, but definitely give them a few days to burn in. They will get a tad bluer after a week or so.
Old 08/31/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Thank you. I put them in 5 days ago and will just wait to see what happens. They are stark white right now an maybe I am just not used to them. I think I will also change out the VHO actinics (they may be old) and see if that changes things.

I did reduce the photo period from 8 hrs to 6 though as I wanted to give the corals a little time to adjust.
Old 08/31/2007, 09:49 AM
SPS Kibitzer

I use 14.5k as well, they are crisp, make blues pop and really shimmer
Old 08/31/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Im using the DE coral bulbs. They are definitly yellow to begin with. Mine took about 3 weeks to burn in to a white with some blue. They are a decent bulb that color up the corals fairly well. Next bulb change though, Im going back to pheonix.

Dennis
Old 08/31/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I went from phoenix 14k to the 14.5k also (2x250w). I run them w/o supplemental and was hoping for more blue than the phoenix. They were yellow at first, but after burning in are very white, no yellow and not much blue either. I've been running them for about 8 mos. Next I'm going to switch to 20k to get that blue I'm looking for.

IMHO, these giesemann bulbs are not worth the premium price I had to pay.

rob
Old 08/31/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Coral bulb rocks. I feel that I get much better color rendition than 20k's. BTW: 400 SE on IC. I had XM 20k and growth was ok - just every thing was washed out with so much blue. Look a Sanjay's spectrals on G bulb. Got 10k-like spikes all over. Actinic spike is huge.

Jon
Old 08/31/2007, 06:07 PM
Mortar Target

Quote:
Originally posted by Doubledown
Thank you. I put them in 5 days ago and will just wait to see what happens. They are stark white right now an maybe I am just not used to them. I think I will also change out the VHO actinics (they may be old) and see if that changes things.

I did reduce the photo period from 8 hrs to 6 though as I wanted to give the corals a little time to adjust.

Keep in mind that reducing the photo period means it takes a bit longer for the bulb to "settle in".
Old 08/31/2007, 07:01 PM
Moved On

I have their 20k megachrome blue and love it. Its not as blue as it sounds.
Old 08/31/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

I just swapped out my Phoenix after 9 months for the GMan 14.5 Coral yesterday and couldnt be happier. The Phoenix bulbs make everything look washed out IMO and just look un-natural to me. If you like a lot of blue then they might be right for you and the price is definitely right.

The Gman Coral makes reds and yellows pop that you just dont get with the Phoenix.

The Coral bulb, like XM10k's will make your tank look yellow if your water is not perfectly clear. Try running carbon if thats the effect you are getting.

I am running it on an SLS Blue Wave III.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

It has been 6 days and I am already seeing a slight shift in color of several corals - most notably the zoos. The color may be more natural and I am just not accustomed to seeing the tank in this color. The bulbs are definately brighter than the Reeflux or the Phoenix I had used in the past but that could be because they are new.

I will give them another week or so to see what color they do settle into.
Old 09/23/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

What's the status now? I have some old Phoenix's I am needing to change and the gman's are on my list mainly because of the PAR. I have been happy with the phoenix's though and get decent growth.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 09/23/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

I used the Geissmann 14.5k for about 15 months, I did not see a major shifting from the initial color, they are not as blue as I may have wanted them to be, I think they are great lights as far as growth is concern but for the price I changed them with Ushios 15k and I am getting the same results and color at half the price.
I would like to try the Reeflux in my next tank.
Old 09/23/2007, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

If you're looking for more blue, you may want to think about supplementing with a blue bulb, rather than the 420nm actinics, if that's what you really have. From Sanjay's plots, the G bulb has a lot of 420nm but not much 460nm, which is the blue look.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by Doubledown