Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 06/11/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Strange Blue Ball

I have found a blue-green ball about 1/2 inch diameter inside the aquarium. It is so light that low water flow can move it. If you see the pictures in my gallery: Blue Ball and Blue ball crop, you will see that it traps organic material from substrat, also it have something transparent-blue like a skin wrapping around it, perhaps it could be seen in the crop.
A crab have puntured it and start to emanate a light blue liquid as dense as a caramel in water. Just in case, it is not a candy!!!!
I would like to know what is this thing. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06/12/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

some sort of egg mabey
Old 06/12/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Tunicate or sponge possibly. No positive answers without a picture.
Old 06/12/2007, 01:21 PM
reef obsessed

There is a pic.....

Old 06/12/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Sponge most likely. Now that you have a pic, try posting in the Inverts forum for another opinion.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Well, if it was a sponge, why it was emanating a fluid after puntured by a crab? The crbas love it, this ball had crabs around it. I had to separate crabs to make the pictures.

This this disappear already, a sponge would be still there.

It just appeared in the aquarium, I didn´t notice that thing growing, a spronge grows slowly and this thing had about 1/2 inch in diameter.!!
Old 06/13/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Since you are in Venezuela, it may not be something commonly seen in North America as most of our shipments come from the South Pacific. Very interesting nevertheless.
Old 06/25/2007, 08:37 AM
Professional Hen Teaser

Looks like a tribble... If it is becareful because they divide, and divide and divide....
Old 06/25/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure its not a coral poop packet?
Old 06/26/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Has got to be a tribble.
Old 06/26/2007, 08:33 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by thriceanangel
Looks like a tribble... If it is becareful because they divide, and divide and divide....
All fun and games until it takes over your starship...

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 06/28/2007, 01:58 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Looks like a tribble to me too...lol.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

OMG. what can you do about it?
Old 06/29/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Hope its a poop packet; still have it?
Old 06/29/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Wow, I went for that one hook, line, and sinker. Hmm, what's a tribble? I've never heard of those before, I'll have to google it......silly Trekies
Old 07/02/2007, 02:24 AM
El Jefe de WRS

You know, after an experience this last weekend at the dance club I was at, I think I know the cause of these 'Strange Blue Ball's. Are there any naughty women who like to tease near this tank?
Old 07/02/2007, 10:15 AM
Parapterois heterura

sorry if this is stating the obvious, but are you sure this is not a Valonia algae ball? It looks like it to me form the pic. They are very common in your waters too. I have had some that were fully as large as 2"/5 cm in diameter... and many that were quite tiny, too.
Old 07/06/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Well I don´t think is a Valonia. The last green algae balls in my aquarium were 6 month ago. They were very, very different to this blue one.
Old 07/06/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I would be very careful about casually dismissing Anthony Calfo on marine life identification. He only had your small pictures of course but I would bet on his years of experience. People buy his books for a reason. Of course some of the experts here think its a tribble so maybe you did not need Anthony!
Old 07/06/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Man that definatly is a Tribble . It looks like species Iota Geminorum. You need to get a hold of Cyrano Jones.
Old 07/06/2007, 11:30 PM
Parapterois heterura

not sure if this helps, my friend:

http://perso.orange.fr/sulawesi.biol...iewpage10.html

do browse the pics at www.algaebase.org for more candidates (inside and out of Valoniaceae)
Old 07/09/2007, 02:53 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

I wouldn't mind bubble algae if it looked like that! That's pretty cool!
Old 07/09/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for your replay and link Anthony, and thanks for the rest of you.

The Valonia I have had in my aquariums looks like grapes, they are green and very shiny, somethimes with a brown-dark red over them but never seen so big as this blue thing. They were ever patched in live rocks and never was attractive to crabs. I want to say too, that is a little hard to take them out of the rock.
In the link you can see the Valonia looks as shiny as a grape and under the picture I can read the following translated from french:

ressemble à du marbre vert avec une lueur réfléchissante lumineuse....

resemble green marble with a luminous reflective gleam...

It is too big for an egg, layed from species I have,,,,, I haven´t seen birds inside the aquarium,,, just kidding, only a big Condylactis gigantea, but I don´t believe this thing came from the anemone and from ´´Star Trek´´, as someone thinks, either.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:32 PM
Moved On

Do you have an anemone in the tank and maybe a blue starfish you can't find? I had a orange ball just like that appear in my tank and after some searching and dissecting of the ball I discovered that it was my orange star. I came to the conclusion that it must of fallen off a rock above my anemone and was partially digested then spit back out hence looking like a slime ball. Just a thought for you
Old 07/10/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

ok I am just spitballing here however here is my theory:

I think it is a new planet from an alternate dimension. In time it will grow. The micro-people inhabiting this pan-dimensional world will demonstrate technology far beyond the boundaries of our understanding of physics. Years later, groups will arise preaching about the coming doom from these people who have now infiltrated every part of our lives.

Many will call these humans "conspiracy theorists" and "tin-foil heads". Michael Moore will make a movie documenting their Nirvana like alien culture and how much it resembles communism and hail them the greatest "race" ever. The movie will also go on in detail to say how by mixing with humans we have corrupted their very essence and purity. The movie will be called "Failed Utopia"

Even later as more hatred towards these beings grows, radical elements of the KKK will display a new standard of a large boot squashing their tiny home planet which still resides in your aquarium. However, now your home is under 24 hour Secret Service protection and you can't even have a friend over without a proper security screening of the friend in question. Your life has become a prison sentence. You can not leave your home, and must monitor your water parameters due to an entire race's existence relying on you.

Finally, you will be imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay for being a "hostile combatant" when someone overheard you say in public, "I should have just flushed the damn thing down the toilet 6 years ago".

Save yourself the trouble my friend, remove it immediately NOW before it is too late for you.

(I was going to have an alternate ending of Randy Holmes Farley saving the day by injecting it with Joe's juice at the zero hour)

peace