Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 09:41 PM
Island Jumper

Urchin Info

Does anyone have any info on this little guy?

Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 06/20/2007, 09:43 PM
Moved On

I don't know much about them, but you may find what you are looking for here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinsii.htm
Old 06/20/2007, 10:20 PM
Island Jumper

Couldn't find an ID. I remember seeing info before on them, but I can't remember where. Internet turned up nothing. I think they are poisonous, but I am not sure.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:08 AM
Island Jumper

No one else?
Old 06/21/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Pencil urchin? How big is it... cute little bugger.
Old 06/21/2007, 12:29 PM
Moved On

Def not a pencil sea urchin
Old 06/21/2007, 06:45 PM
Island Jumper

No bigger than a nickel. I have it in a bag right now and I am afraid to put it in my tank. I swear I saw they were poisonous, but I want to be sure...if not it is a sweet little urchin!
Old 06/21/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Its not a pencil urchin. I got 4 of those in my tank.
Old 06/21/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

looks cool though.....
Old 06/21/2007, 07:52 PM
Island Jumper

kh6sat- you have pencil urchins or one like this?
Old 06/21/2007, 08:28 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

I'd be wary, #1, and I'd send the photo with the question to Bob Fenner and to Dr. Ron (find him yourself, RC doesn't look fondly on linking to him) at their respective websites.

You may have luck here in the inverts forum but I'd head to those two, and keep this out of your display.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 06/21/2007, 08:38 PM
Island Jumper

Ostrow - I sent a pic of it to Mr. Fenner and Mr. Calfo. I posted in the invert section with no luck. And yes, I agree...until I know for sure, he will keep getting reoxed in his bag
Old 06/27/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Fiji, I think I have atleast narrowed it down to the genus. There is a pic, but no species name.

It's possibly a Echniothrix for sure, and possibly calamaris.

Scroll down in the link to the section titled similar species. It has a Echniothrix pictured(exactly like yours), and also describes a Diadema species. It tells that both have banded spines, but only Echnothrix have tubular spines. It would also seem, they are somewhat poisonous. It says they can inflict painful stings, but nothing more.
http://www.edge-of-reef.com/inggris/laben.htm
Old 06/27/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, something went wrong on the link... It takes you to the home page. On the left side, near the top, you'll see Urchins. Click on the symbol, just to the right of that. At the bottom of the urchin page there is a link for all 21 species, click there. Scroll down to Echniothrix calamaris and click on that. Then scroll down to the pic I posted about above.
HTH.
Old 06/27/2007, 09:22 PM
Island Jumper

Thanks Ray Whisperer! Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was. Seems that it is pretty common. I was hoping something would turn up soon cause he still is being rebagged everyday!
Old 06/27/2007, 09:33 PM
Island Jumper

That last comment didn't sound right...I meant the urchin was common . He is up for grabs if anyone is interested. I don't think he is reef safe nor do I want to risk my tank. PM if interested.
Old 06/27/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

talk to a scientist, wouldnt it be awsome that you discovered a new species..... Of course i am so tired that i probably act drunk....
Old 06/27/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Well heck, I'm interested.
PMing you now.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Fiji, Put the Christmas Ornament Away. You have ray way to excited over that piece of Glass.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue
That last comment didn't sound right...I meant the urchin was common . He is up for grabs if anyone is interested. I don't think he is reef safe nor do I want to risk my tank. PM if interested.
Fenner and Calfo are no match for Gus! a.k.a. Ray Whisperer.......
Old 06/28/2007, 08:12 AM
Island Jumper

Musho3210 - that would be sweet!

desjardiniidj - that goes without saying...Gus is the man! Im trading him some very rare limited edition Red Planaria for the urchin. He said he only sells 5 of them a year! I feel like I am totally ripping him off!
Old 06/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue

desjardiniidj - that goes without saying...Gus is the man! Im trading him some very rare limited edition Red Planaria for the urchin. He said he only sells 5 of them a year! I feel like I am totally ripping him off!
Don't feel bad. He is really easy to take advantage of. He's also a uber-cool guy!
Old 06/28/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by desjardiniidj
Don't feel bad. He is really easy to take advantage of. He's also a uber-cool guy!
You should know. After all, I think it was you who took advantage of me at Tonya's post-tour ball.
Thanks for the compliments though.
Old 06/28/2007, 08:58 PM
Parapterois heterura

Hmmm, interesting... I'm looking at our emails with you and see that I wrote you a full paragraph on photo tips for helping others to help you with photo IDs... and that Bob clearly answered your question:

Re: urchin ID - couldn't find it in the archives... Antoine and RMF input
jartanyon wrote:
Found this little guy and thought he might be poisonous...any ideas?
Justin
>IDs from pics are often difficult. If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help
here: what kind of camera are you using? (and do get an off-camera cord for that flash to hold it from above, my friend... a huge help right there)
(Good advice)
The problem with the pic sent is that your subject comprises only a fraction of the frame (always get as close to your subject as possible for these types of shots, and in general).
(Ditto)
As for the focus... with stronger light (from above or above-angled) you could increase your shutter speed and likely get a sharper image. Better yet... please use a tripod.
(As well)
Without a clear pic, its hard to say what genus let alone species this might be.
kindly, Anth-<
(is likely a juvenile Eucidaris species... family Cidaridae, not venomous as the toxopneustids...
Bob Fenner)

------------------

Yoru original question is also archived on WWM (we archive everything useful for the benefit of other/fellow hobbyists). Your query and answer have been archived appropriately on the "Urchin identification" page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinidfaqs.htm

It seems rather innacurate if not unkind that you'd say "Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was," to folks that gave you a fast and personal response to your query.
Old 06/28/2007, 09:39 PM
OT Slaughter House

whoops..