Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2000, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Could anyone please advise how to take frags of coral. Does it depend on the type and are there any precautions I can take so as to minimize any damage caused.

Thanks,

Nige.
Old 09/11/2000, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

this link http://atlantisaquatic.com/prop.html has a list of lots of coral propagation links. I would suggest you read several to become familiar with all the techniques out there

Good Luck

------------------
brian

atlantisaquatic.com
Old 09/11/2000, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

We use different techniques for all different types of corals whether they be soft or stoney. Some are easy some are next to impossible, not to cut or divide but to survive the fragging, reattach to a surface and then begin growing.

Here are 3 very important things to remember:

1. All corals especially softies excrete very toxic substances when cut, so never frag pieces in the display tank. It may result in the loss of many of your other corals and yes even fish and other inverts. We once cut up one 9" sarcophyton into 10 pieces, left it out of system for 48 hours until we thought the excretions had subsided and then placed the pieces back into a mian system. The main system consisted of 26 seperate tanks all connected by a central circulation pump making up a system of over 1500 gallons that are skimmed by a 9 foot downdraft skimmer that processes over 4,000 gallons per hour. For 5 days after the sarcophyton frags and mother were placed back into system all xenia stayed closed and almost all other corals showed signs of distress. I realize this is an extreme case but I am trying to make the point that most display systems are alot smaller and the end result could be catastrophic.

2. When seperating the frag, whether it be a cut or a controlled break, and this goes for stonies or softies, always be careful not to crush or tear surrounding tissue and or skeleton. It is very easy to cause massive tissue damage with tools such as pliers and scissors so be careful.

3. The last and most important thing to keep in mind is all living tissue needs oxygen. Most corals both hard and soft will react to your fragging activities by excreting substances that are in some cases part of the corals defense mechanism and in others part of protecting and aiding in the healing process. These excretions can be so extensive that they coat the frag and mother as well or saturate and foul the system water with so much material that respiration is impaired. Always watch that the water stays clean and that circulation is sufficient enough to remove these excretions. It can also be a good idea to isolate fresh cut corals from others in a seperate container of appropriate size and water movement until excretions subside. A protein skimmer can provide an invaluable service to you by removing toxic substances excreted by the corals from the water.

[This message has been edited by Fish Junction (edited 09-11-2000).]
Old 09/11/2000, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

I didnt mean to scare you, anyone can frag corals, I am just trying to pass on some valuable info to save others from making the same mistakes we have already made.

The first cut is always the hardest but the next is always easier than the one before.

Old 09/11/2000, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the links and the posted info. It looks as though it should be only done by people who know what they are doing, which excludes me .

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Nige.