Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Psuedochromis

Well I got a Blue line Psuedochromis about January this year and from then till now he has eaten 6 Blood shrimp twice his size and 8 cleaners. He's pretty smart little guy Dad and I have been trying to catch him for the last month and half. I've tried everthing I know of traps, blocking of the side he was on. etc.. I am almost to the point of sticking my Mantis(8 inches) in there to get him. Any ideas from anyone would be helpfull.
Old 08/31/2007, 03:16 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Cut the neck off of a 2-liter or 3-liter pop bottle, invert the neck inside of the body of the bottle, put food in it, and sink it to the bottom. Wait until he enters it for food, and then take him out.

Also, have you tried to leave the net in the tank for a day, and then when you feed the tank, put the food in the net?
Old 08/31/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I have done both. I put 3 camel shrimp in the bottles and he scared them out and ate all 3. The net he goes nowhere near it. Wants nothing to do with it. He was a $24 fish but he is now worth close to $300 now lol. He doesn't really eat anything but nice pretty shrimp and brine shrimp and pods.
Old 08/31/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I used 2 acrylic sheets to get my sail-fin and butterfly out with. Make a little corner with a 1 inch opening, wait for it to swim in for the bait then slide the acrylic over, essentially making a box. Get some one to hold them and net him out. Did that make sense?
Old 08/31/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

We have done something like that but jumps out or sqeezes by. But I may try that may work better ur way.
Old 08/31/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

the key is patience. You may want to not feed for a day or two so it's good and hungry. Make sure the acrylic is a tight fit to the glass and tall enough to stick in the sand and still reach the top.

Last edited by ionredline0260; 08/31/2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09/01/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

That is probably my favorite fish I have ever owned. Beautiful colors, active swimmer, lots of personality (for a fish), and unfortunately...a voracious shrimp eater. I got rid of mine so I could keep shrimp. Looking back, I wish I would have kept the fish instead of the shrimp.

Ronnie
Old 09/04/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Shrimp

Well I got him lol finally. My Dad had bought a very LARGE trap last week and I spent a good hour waiting for him. We even bought live shrimp for him and he didn't want anything to do with it. So I tried frozen brine shrimp and not a min. later he was in going crazy eaten it. HA HA!!! Took him to a LFS and traded out for a couple cleaner shrimp. Now its time to stock the tank with a few bloods and who knows what else. If you have any ideas on what kind of shrimp to put in. I already have a very large coral banded, a blood, and 2x cleaners. I do not have any Anemones so no sexy's too small hard to find.
Old 09/04/2007, 08:43 AM
My Life for Aiur!

2 things. Sexy Shrimp are like Porcelain Crabs and Clownfish. They don't need anemones to survive. And Coral Banded Shrimp can be quite territorial and have been known to kill other ornamental shrimp. It doesn't happen too often, but something you should keep an eye on.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Gotcha on the sexy shrimp. On the banded hs has his on side of the tank to himself so hopefully the others have and will learn to stay clear of him in the future.