Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2007, 04:48 PM
OMAS VP

Global Warming

Watch this video and tell me what you think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arming+swindle
Old 04/20/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

I watched the entire video. Good stuff.

Ronnie
Old 04/24/2007, 08:28 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by _Sooner_2
I watched the entire video. Good stuff.

Ronnie
This video woke me up to alot of new theories on global warming.Is it real or not?
Old 04/25/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

I think that there is ample evidence that the earth is warming. But, I don't believe mankind is the cause. I like the video because it shows the 'other side' of the issue, from a scientific view. It was good to see scientist talk about other potential causes for higher temperatures. The really interesting segment for me was the graphs and charts of CO2 in relation to past warm periods.

Who knows which side is right? I wish there was balanced media coverage for both sides of this topic.

Ronnie
Old 04/25/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

... double post

Old 04/25/2007, 09:38 AM
Non Premium Member

I have believed for years that it has nothing to do with humans, but just the natural evolution of the earth. That would be like saying the methane from dinosaur poop caused the ice age. We will either adapt to the changes or perish like the dino's did. It's not a condition that can be stopped or changed, but only adapted to. That's why i picked the highest elevation of the state of Florida to buy a home lol. When all those glaciers melt and the ocean levels rise, i will have an island home lol.
Old 04/25/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

The question is, will lowering emissions and finding alternative fuel sources hurt anything? Even if CO2 isn't contributing to Global warming it has other effects. I know when I visited California I could hardly breath due to their Smog problems, there are days there when people are warned not to go outside unless they have to.

We are in the process of depleting a nonrenewable resource, what will happen when it's gone? The funny thing is that couple of the greatest potential alternatives are the sun and Hydrogen (the byproduct of using hydrogen as a fuel is water) but the technology that will allow us to harness each at an effecient level is still a good distance away. So wether or not Global warming is a swindle, is it not in our best interest to research all alternatives?
Old 04/25/2007, 09:52 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Joshua, that is my philosophy on the whole thing. It doesn't matter if there is such a thing as Global Warning or not. It is our duty as an advanced, intelligent species to find ways to consciencely help the world we live on. It's suicidal to attempt to seal our own fate from not advancing the lives of others and our own. Now, the problem is, will these new advancements in technology compromise the health and well being of other life forms on the planet?

Last edited by Travis L. Stevens; 04/25/2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04/25/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Amen Travis. We are stewards of this planet. GW not withstanding, we need to do everything we can to protect our planet.
Old 04/25/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Travis I don't think I could have said it better myself.
Old 04/25/2007, 05:36 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

Ditto Trav... also, people of the world, for goodness sake, stop over populating it. This climate cycle cannot be helped what we are doing to the planet.

CRASE 2008
Old 04/25/2007, 06:15 PM
King of the Echo People!

I think that the planet is cyclical. Much like a radio wave, our world will heat and cool, without any kind of external influences. Historical data has shown that the planet has had hot/cold phases, not including extreme events such as severe ice ages, etc.

I do think that we as humans do affect the planet though. To what extent, that is the question.

I think that it is possible that through human involvement, we may be raising the peaks and valleys on each end of this temp. wave.

That said, as much as we can argue, model and debate this, the Earth will react in ways that we cannot even begin to fathom.

I have thought about this scenario.

We switch all vehicles to a hydrogen based fuels. The by-product is water (in both liquid and gaseous form) and oxygen. As this replaces the the carbon di and mono oxide in the atmosphere, does this in effect then change our atmosphere?

Example, since ozone is only O3, with the increase of oxygen (O2), would that help to repair the ozone layer? Granted, oxygen is a very stable molecule, but all the increasing molecules will create ozone, just through the 'bumping' and 'hitting' of molecules together. This transfer will create a certain amount of heat, but I would think that it would be negiligable.

Granted, with have other 'pollutants' in our atmosphere to a lesser degree in which may or may not be the cause of the greenhouse gas effect, but for the sake of discussion, let us stick with these.

Also, you have all this extra water in both liquid and gaseous form. It stands to reason that these water molecules will travel up into the atmosphere, which in turn will create clouds.

Now, will this increase of clouds cool down the planet, as you have more interception and reflection of solar rays, along with increased rainfall?

Or will it in fact with the increase cloud cover actually HEAT up the planet as in effect of creating a blanket in which to trap the heat that is created on the planet's surface.

There are so many variables, it really makes you wonder.

And, yes, I have an hour commute both ways from work and home, so that means a lot of windshield time to ponder the mysteries of life.

Like, what is happening to all of the centers of cheerios? Shouldn't they be put to some kind of use?

You know, the important items of life.

Old 04/25/2007, 06:58 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

OMG Nix! Cheerios! I can't believe you don't know what is happening to the centers. I have been buying them from General Mills for years and creating beautiful jewelry made from cheerio beads. Please view my web site: http://www.divinecheeriocreations.co...rswholook.html

Of course, I will give you a discount since you have been so kind to me in the past. The best part of the Cheerio Designs by Sheryl, is that in an emergency, you can eat them for a quick burst of energy! I can't tell you how many times these gems have saved my life.

Ok I can but it will cost you some wine...something lovely in a box...something with a spicy flatulence, something real, no mamby-pamby light stuff, that smacks of the wilderness...well you know what I mean. The time I was attacked by a herd of sharks. The near escape from an dyspeptic croc. Yep, ply me with enough wine and I can tell all.

CRASE 2008
Old 04/25/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

The only problem with hydrgen based fuels is they take more energy to create than they give back. O3 is not stable. That's why the quit using florocarbons. They would break the o3 molecules down, bonding with one oxygen atom and releasing the O2. They might find a way to get hydrogen power going one day but it is still a ways off. What I find ironic is, all the greenies point to Europe and say "they can do it so can we" but they scream no when you mention how Europe does it, nuclear power. France alone gets half it's electricity that way.
Old 04/26/2007, 01:22 PM
King of the Echo People!

Quote:
Originally posted by Serra
OMG Nix! Cheerios! I can't believe you don't know what is happening to the centers. I have been buying them from General Mills for years and creating beautiful jewelry made from cheerio beads. Please view my web site: http://www.divinecheeriocreations.co...rswholook.html

Of course, I will give you a discount since you have been so kind to me in the past. The best part of the Cheerio Designs by Sheryl, is that in an emergency, you can eat them for a quick burst of energy! I can't tell you how many times these gems have saved my life.

Ok I can but it will cost you some wine...something lovely in a box...something with a spicy flatulence, something real, no mamby-pamby light stuff, that smacks of the wilderness...well you know what I mean. The time I was attacked by a herd of sharks. The near escape from an dyspeptic croc. Yep, ply me with enough wine and I can tell all.
Excellent! I have always been a fan of cheerios, and rejoice to know that they are being put to go use!

I will have to go through my wine collection, and see what I can dig up. We will have to share stories of our near death experiences, over a couple glasses.

Old 04/26/2007, 01:27 PM
King of the Echo People!

Quote:
Originally posted by jkhudson
The only problem with hydrgen based fuels is they take more energy to create than they give back. O3 is not stable. That's why the quit using florocarbons. They would break the o3 molecules down, bonding with one oxygen atom and releasing the O2. They might find a way to get hydrogen power going one day but it is still a ways off. What I find ironic is, all the greenies point to Europe and say "they can do it so can we" but they scream no when you mention how Europe does it, nuclear power. France alone gets half it's electricity that way.
Oh, I agree, the use of hydrogen as a main fuel source is a bit off. It was just one of those things that I pondered a while back.

I would much prefer that we as a society switch to more of a renewable resource base, i.e. wind, solar, hydro electric. Granted, each one has drawbacks (Wind created distrubances in wind patterns in localized areas, solar is the diminished return over time on cells along with overall space needed to house a solar farm, hydro-electric for the fact of creation of closed water ways, etc).

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with nuclear, as long as we had ways in which to safely get 'rid' of the waste. Otherwise, nuclear does have advantages.
Old 04/26/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

nothing is without drawbacks. Just as example to supply our country with electricity from solor power it would take an area equal to the state of Nebraska. The argument over thewildlife refuge in Alaska is ridiculous. Unless we find alternative sources we are going to drill there sooner or later. Wouldn't you rather have companies under a watchful eye drill than a desperate fuel starved nation?
Old 04/26/2007, 02:02 PM
Team RC Member

My opinion has always been that whatever damage we as a species have done, is already done and in all likelyhood not going to be repairable. Society as a whole just will not come together enough to influence a massive change that woudl be needed. So that said, we should up the space program 10 fold and hope for technology to catch up and allow us to not make the same mistake with another planet. But I do like my sci-fi movies so my brain likes to go that route....

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 04/26/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

You have a good point. The water in the Hudson River in NY is the cleanest its been in 100 years, but you can't eat the fish because the bottom is a toxic waste dump. There's an old myth about civilization starting over 7 times. i wonder how we killed ourselves the first six.
Old 04/27/2007, 08:52 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkhudson
i wonder how we killed ourselves the first six.
My guess would be stupidity. That mixed with human pride. Not a good combo.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 04/27/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

the problem as Americans, and not humans is that we are crisis oriented. That means as a country we dont fix things until they HAVE to be fixed. We could learn alot about greener living by just observing what others are doing. China for instance is a huge player, they are doing alot in green research.

Being "green" doesnt mean you have to drive a hybrid, or have solar panels on your house. Doing little things like using low energy light bulbs is a huge step. Composting your biodegradable trash, like leftover food, leaves and grass clippings. There is a new show on Discovery called Green, the new red white and blue. It showed if 1 in 3 Americans composted some of their trash it would reduced solid wasted management by almost 18 percent, thats calculates to almost 4 billion a year in fuel consumption alone from utility companies.

Changing our fuel consumption is not as hard as people think. everything impacts global warming, and i agree that the earth will adpate and stabilize as we go. That doesnt mean that we cant change the way we treat the earth.
Old 04/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I have just recently begun to think of the impact of my habbits. I am now making it a goal to only run the water to wet my toothbrush and rince my mouth out not leaving it running the whole time, turn off lights that aren't being used and make less useless waste. It baffles me how many horrible habbits are ingraind in me.

...baby steps
Old 04/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Americans have had so much for so long that we didn't realize what we were doing. The biggest problem we have is that the people who could have the greatest impact are the rich and poerful andthey won't care until it affects them.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

"Americans have had so much for so long that we didn't realize what we were doing. The biggest problem we have is that the people who could have the greatest impact are the rich and poerful andthey won't care until it affects them"

That's *&%$. Next time you stop at a stop light that you know lasts for 3 to 5 minutes, turn your engine off.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

"That's *&%$. Next time you stop at a stop light that you know lasts for 3 to 5 minutes, turn your engine off."

I'd never thought to turn my engin off at s long stop light but it's not a bad idea.My question is would you not be using more gas to start the vehicle again as opposed to just letting it run in idle? On a side noteI do not feel the implied explicative was necessary.