Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Best prices locally on aquariums?

Just recently moved to the area, currently living in Golden but we're moving up to our house in Longmont at the end of the month.

I currently have a 75g rr all glass aquarium but with the new house, the chances of doing an in wall larger aquarium in the new basement looks pretty good. Thinking of moving up to a 120 rr because my t5 lighting will still work on the tank but I have no idea where to start looking for one.

Where do you guys buy your tanks? I've been a to a couple of LFS's around here and became depressed because I had a great LFS in WA but so far no luck around here.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 10/10/2007, 03:16 PM
unruly scotsman

Old 10/10/2007, 04:28 PM
RMRC President

I would check out our Sponsor Page

Any of our sponsors could hook you up with a nice setup! Our Premium, Featured and Member sponsors offer specials and/or discounts to Premium RMRC members if you join here and enter a shipping address we will send you a card.

Some of our sponsors also have forums on the club site where they can post about specials, etc. You could also ask them for quotes on a setup.
Forums at RMRC.info

We also have WTB and for sale forums in case a member is getting rid of what you are looking for.

Hope that gives you a place to start! Welcome to Colorado

Last edited by Clown-N-Around; 10/10/2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:01 PM
Moved On

Dear OP,

I'd let you know but I fear the gestapo.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

What, what? It's verboten to let new folks know about LFS's in the area and tank prices? I completly understand about undermining sponsors but not being able to discuss local business is a bit much. Oh well.

Thanks for the welcome Clown-n-Around, I'll check out the site.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Listen, If the mods want to hit me for replying to your post then fine, but if you are new to the area then number 1 welcome, and 2nd depending on where you are located there are a couple of good LFS around. If your on the south side of Denver you should check out Key's Island, or if you are on the north side of Denver you should drive up to Boulder and check out Aqua Imports, and mods THEY ARE BOTH SPONSORS OF RMRC SO I AM NOT PIMPING JUST ANY LFS.......
Old 10/10/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]

Here is a good start. http://www.artful-dodger.com/fish/lfs.html And doing what C-N-A said.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:10 PM
Anemone Rancher

PixelFish...I'm about as far from Longmont as you can get and still say you live near Denver, but I may be able to help you out with an Oceanic 120RR already configured for in-wall installation. I picked it up when my 140 broke last year, but never actually used it.

The previous owner did have it built in...it has blue acrylic panels for both sides and the back and 4" pieces of glass cemented across the front/top openings (so the wall framing above the tank doesn't get splashed).

It was pretty grungy when I got it but it cleaned up very nicely. There are still a few small coralline patches, but I lost interest when I got two other emergency tanks up instead.

PM me if you're interested...
Old 10/10/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

someone had a 120rr acrillic on here for cheap a week ago. its still here. i would buy it but i have no room or money for new tanks.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:45 PM
I like sticks in my tank

Lots of good local shops...artful dodger's advice helped me get aquainted when I first moved to town.
Old 10/11/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Get ahold of bspinner, brandon. He has a 180 for sale that is reef ready. I have seen the tank and it is a great deal!

Scotty
Old 10/11/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the welcome and info guys.

I'm pretty set on getting an AGA 120 RR. I really like their megaflow overflow systems and I can't go bigger because all my lighting, pump, sump and everything else is perfect for a 120 and no bigger.

I'm pulling a 'honey, if I upgrade to a bigger tank, all I need is a bigger tank, nothing else', yeah right
Old 10/11/2007, 10:50 AM
RMRC President

Quote:
Originally posted by ::PixelFish::
I'm pulling a 'honey, if I upgrade to a bigger tank, all I need is a bigger tank, nothing else', yeah right
I know people have to do a lot of convincing with their SO's about tank expenses. The flip side of that is also pretty scary. Since both my husband and I are into the tanks, there is no system of checks and balances. He gets a new lion fish, I have to get a new coral...

PS - 120 is a nice size (mine is acryllic).
Old 10/11/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

This is the second time I've done the upgrade and it will cost nothing but the tank thing. The first time I did I ended up buying everything new, lights skimmer, new stand, the works so I have to be really good this time and only get the new tank.

My poor husband is tired of building stands and I've only had my 75 gallon setup now for about 7 months and here I am, upgrading again.
Old 10/11/2007, 05:51 PM
Anemone Rancher

PixelFish,

FYI--I just got around to actually checking rather than depending upon a year-old memory.

The used 120RR that I have does appear to be AGA with two corner Megaflows. (They didn't start using that overflow design in Oceanic tanks until they converted to the Ultimate and Tech lines in the past year.)
Old 10/12/2007, 04:11 PM
Moved In

For the record, it's never been against the rule to suggest stores. What is against the rules is to shill/pimp your friends, relatives, or your own stores.

Gestapo comments do little for the running of the board, get over it.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/12/2007, 07:33 PM
Guardian of Little People

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenton2
Dear OP,

I'd let you know but I fear the gestapo.
Apologize for that comment. Right away.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/12/2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mateo lopez
Listen, If the mods want to hit me for replying to your post then fine, but if you are new to the area then number 1 welcome, and 2nd depending on where you are located there are a couple of good LFS around. If your on the south side of Denver you should check out Key's Island, or if you are on the north side of Denver you should drive up to Boulder and check out Aqua Imports, and mods THEY ARE BOTH SPONSORS OF RMRC SO I AM NOT PIMPING JUST ANY LFS.......
Unless someone has commercial interests in a LFS, there is no issue. It is too bad you enjoy creating controversy and ill will for no apparent reason.

Old 10/12/2007, 07:38 PM

It is unfortunate that after we (as mods of Reef Central) do our best to get past the last little controversy, it takes only a few weeks before a thread like this comes us. Thanks for giving the moderators the benefit of the doubt before making accusations of "shutting people down".

The "gestapo" comment still has me fuming, and I expect RC will have one fewer active member in the morning.

Old 10/12/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Wow I don't think i have ever seen so many people on BOTH sides take things too seriously. Just follow the rules the way they are written and the SHOULD be no problems. If you have a question about the technical side of something send a pm to a mod. So lets just stop all the stupid bantering back and forth with the mods and everyone else. I do agree with both sides some stuff was done wrong a while back and some good people were banned rather hastely. But its time to move on..

To OP:
There are alot of good stores in town that carry tanks the ones i can think of right off the top of my head are Todd's, Premeir reef and fish has alot, and sherman used to but alot of the stores can order you what you want like Keys island and others. Hope that helps and yes im done venting... for now
Old 10/13/2007, 07:14 AM
RC Staff
American

The people that VOLUNTEER to run this board, and provide your club with a FREE forum to use and enjoy, are here because we DO take this seriously.
I will not deny that our rules are enforced very strictly, and when you have drawn the attention of this much staff, EVERYTHING gets looked at.
I'll give it to you straight, there are not that many options for us, as the management of RC to use in handling this. We WILL achieve harmony here by employing;
1) Bans
2) temporary forum closure
3) permanent forum closure
as necessary
That's about it as far as "tools" we can use.
The question is this:
Will you fix it now, or will you continue and make things worse for yourselves?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 10/13/2007, 09:19 AM
RMRC President

Quote:
Originally posted as "Please Post Here" by Clown-N-Around
So, do I have your attention?

Please post on Reef Central if you wish to do so in accordance with the user agreement and Reef Central policies.

Reef Central is a very large community of salt water enthusiasts and our club is able to access that extensive set of resources through the use of this forum. I for one, would like to continue to have this priviledge.

The down side of this large size is that rules must be more clearly defined and there is no "wiggle room" or negotiation. Most of the policies have a reason behind them and are unlikely to change. The mods are doing their job, and the Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club forum on Reef Central is not the place to debate the posting policy on Reef Central. Reef Central has a feedback forum http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=74 or you can PM a mod to clarify any user agreement/policy questions.

If you want to have more local discussion, separate forums for reef topics versus classifieds, forums where sponsors can post about their business, and policies where things are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, then please utilize the forums at www.RMRC.info. We also have a feedback forum http://www.rmrc.info/mambo/index.php...howcat&catid=6 where you can post comments or suggestions about how www.RMRC.info should function. Your suggestions are especially appreciated now while we are working on revising/updating the site.

SO - DO NOT NECESSARILY POST IN THIS THREAD, BUT PLEASE POST ON REEF CENTRAL ACCORDING TO THE USER AGREEMENT.

Thanks!

Last edited by Clown-N-Around; 10/13/2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10/13/2007, 09:28 AM
RMRC President

Quote:
Originally posted by dc

For the record, it's never been against the rule to suggest stores. What is against the rules is to shill/pimp your friends, relatives, or your own stores.

Gestapo comments do little for the running of the board, get over it.
Thanks for the clarification DC - seemed some people in this thread were confused.

For a little more clarification on the RMRC side, we have a lot of hobbyists who actively participate in the club who also work at/own an LFS that sponsors RMRC. Since there is no way for RC mods to know the difference between a shill/pimp and a legitimate offer to help from a someone who fits the profile above, we have a place on www.RMRC.info for our sponsors to post. That way, our active sponsors have a voice on www.RMRC.info and no one needs to violate RC policy.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:38 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Clown-N-Around
Thanks for the clarification DC - seemed some people in this thread were confused.

For a little more clarification on the RMRC side, we have a lot of hobbyists who actively participate in the club who also work at/own an LFS that sponsors RMRC. Since there is no way for RC mods to know the difference between a shill/pimp and a legitimate offer to help from a someone who fits the profile above, we have a place on www.RMRC.info for our sponsors to post. That way, our active sponsors have a voice on www.RMRC.info and no one needs to violate RC policy.
And it's great that these people do help, there are tons of people that do the same and never mention they own or work at a LFS. Good stores have good business without shilling IMO.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/13/2007, 12:17 PM
MTRC Treas

Can I pimp my older brothers service? not fish related