Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 02:06 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Bought a new nano NW skimmer to review

Ok well I just found this thing on ebay. Cost me 16 bux shipped from hong kong. I like the measurements, and hey I love anything that comes from the people that brought us mongolian beef.

So you guys can buy them now or wait till I review it in my NC12.

here is the link

to the skimmer on ebay

it actually looks promising

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 12/27/2007, 02:30 AM
------------

Let us know how that goes. If it works - awesome.

I'll remain skeptical until I hear the good word from you as it looks eerily similar to the fission.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:33 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

what's funny is I have always had more success with cheap over seas stuff than the cheap mass marketed stuff out here. Anyhow we shall see

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

Old 01/04/2008, 07:30 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

OK so it's in! First off I need to say that the construction is gread. very heavy clear plastic used throughout. The small pump has a very functional needlewheel. It measures 6" total across and 8" tall. As you can see from the video in a vinegar/water bath, it needs to be submerged quite a bit before the pump will work effectively. I can't fit it in to my NC12 so I'm going to take it upstairs to my brothers NC24. Here are the initial shots. For now, till he gets home it's in the NC12's main display to see how it's gonna fair overall. So here are the pics

Old 01/04/2008, 09:33 PM
the cattleman

Will this fit in a back chamber?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 01/05/2008, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

is the pump a resun pump? It has a look of an octo nano skimmer, only they've got a different model that I was thinking of getting. I saw this one too and wondered how it was going to work. Hopefully it works good for you! I decided to put my octo 100F on my 10g nano (hang on, not in tank), it's a bit much, but I know it works, at least it worked awesome on my 45g.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 01/05/2008, 03:36 AM
Registered Member

yup definetly a resun pump there. Keep that thing on your 10g XD I have to see what will you pull out.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

Good find, let us know whether it does really "Disengage harmful granules from water quickly" and "Get rid of the harmful gas" as advertised. Did you really get a skimmer with NW for $0.99 plus shipping?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, but think of the shipping from Hong Kong, it must have cost way more than that.. plus the .99 was in GBP, so more like a few bucks, but that part was still a good deal.

Old 01/05/2008, 01:53 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

it was 16 bux shipped.

So far it's been skimming wet. The pump is just not performing well enough. Not nearly enough pwr. I need to keep it half way out of the water so it can pump down air. it COULD actually just be the design on in intake. I guess this because you need to blow on the airline a couple times to get it going + the fact that when there is no air going through the pump it doesn't pump water at all. Like it needs the pressure of running through air to build enough velocity. I need to so what else I can try. I love the build of it as far as the actual body is concerned so I don't wanna give up just yet.

Old 01/05/2008, 02:06 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

lol I just figured out what the problem is by looking at the pic of the pump above. AC 220-240v!

Of course it doesn't have power! dear lord, I'm wondering if it'll fair better with a pump from rio or the fission. If I can find one for cheap I'll know for sure

Old 01/06/2008, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

the pump looks very similar to an aquaclear 10, might want to look into that.

Old 01/06/2008, 03:29 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

I'll definitely look into it

Old 01/06/2008, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

you could get a converter for 220v