Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Question How Hardy are Yellow Eye Koles?

My brother once had one in his 130gallon that nearly wipped out his whole tank. The little guy developed black velvet and I heard they are ich magnets. Is this true that they are ich magnets? And from a scale of 1-10, 1 being fragile and 10 hardy what would you rate the kole? He is looking forward to getting another kole but he is afraid of having the kole become a fragile ich magnet. Any suggestions to take into consideration? TIA
Old 12/12/2007, 07:01 AM
Where the future begins!

Mine was a VERY stressed out fish when I first got it, hadn't eaten anything already in 2 weeks, and never developed Ich once.

I would rate it at an 8 for hardiness. It's already been through a lot and has come through miraculously.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/12/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

My kole tang was very shy, would not eat for about a week at first and eventually died from lateral line disease. Me I would say 5 for hardiness level.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:45 AM
Where the future begins!

That's so weird.

Mine was a sympathy Petco purchase and had been there for 2 weeks crammed in a little 10 gallon tank. I was informed that it hadn't eaten the entire time it was there. If anyone went near the tank it would go nuts bashing itself on the sides. All of this on top of the fact that they had lava rock in the water, and it would attempt to graze on it, only to have it's mouth torn up by the rock.

It wouldn't eat prepared foods for another 3 weeks after I got it, although I did have a healthy amount of hair algae for it to graze on in the mean time.

In my experience, fish that bash themselves on the sides of the tank almost always end up with stress induced Ich, whether it be freshwater or saltwater.

I guess that everyone's experience with these fish is going to be different.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/12/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

I would say kole tangs are 8/10...

IME, surely they are one of the more hardier tangs to keep in terms of being ich magnets vs. Hippo/PBT/Achilles etc...

Mine has a super cool personality, I have lots of LR for him to graze on and feed big pieces of nori everyday, perhaps that keeps him healthy...That combined with R/O should keep any HLLE away...

Ich, well thats another matter, if your brother hasn't QT'ed everything from day one than its a gamble even if water param's are perfect!

Here's mine...

Old 12/12/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Koles are sweet looking tangs, hes just afraid that he might get another black velvet outbreak. But seeing how the results are this fish is pretty tough.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

If you quarantine the tang before putting it in your tank, then you wont have to worry about introducing any new diseases, or parasites into your main tank.

I have a kole tang he has a great personality, and eats like a pig!!! I agree with an 8/10 for hardiness.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

I have my new kole in quarantine right now. He came down with ich the 1st week I had him. He seems quite shy but loves to eat. I think once he gets into the display tank he will do better since there are not many places to hide in quarantine....
Old 12/14/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I've had my kole tang for 5 years now he has got ich once, moved tanks 5 times, and survived a heater failure (water to 60 degrees) and never stopped eating...Definitly one of the hardiest tangs. I'd giove it a 9.5.............