Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2004, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Flatworm Exit

My firefish has monogenea. I have been using copper but I think it may not be doing the trick. I have been having some issues checking the dosage as well.

I would like to give salifert's flatworm exit a try. How well does it work? I have 3 fish in a 20g QT (firefish, sixline, and an anthias).
Old 02/24/2004, 06:00 AM
20 and over club

Someone else had some success with treating turbellara with Flatworm Exit so it might work. A formalin bath may be more effective and you could even try a freshwater bath.
Old 02/24/2004, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

The trick is to kill the ones in the QT itself as well as the ones on the fish. A FW dip would only kill the ones attached to the fish and they could still come back once I put him back in the tank, correct? Seems like the salifert would take care of both...?

How much longer should I keep the fish in their QT once I've nuked it with the salifert?

Did some reading on the salifert and noticed people that use it mainly are trying to address infestations of flatworms that aren't parasitic. The ones I'm trying to get after are parasites on the fish themselves. Hopefully this stuff will be effective for those species should I need to employ it.
Old 02/25/2004, 06:37 AM
20 and over club

The life cycle of the flatworms is such that if the baths/dips are repeated every three days you eliminate the flatworms from the tank.
Old 02/25/2004, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Thx ATJ. Would the salifert pretty much be a one shot kill though? As in, I should be able to dose the QT with it once, maybe a second time a few days later, and that should be it assuming it is effective against these parasitic types of flatworms?

That way I could avoid having to dip the fish. It's very difficult to catch the firefish and the wrasse not to mention very stressful for them so it'd be nice not to have to dip them.
Old 02/25/2004, 04:46 PM
20 and over club

I have never used Flatworm Exit, so I can't comment. Maybe a question for Habib.
Old 02/26/2004, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Thx again. Looks like I won't need to bother with this after all. What I thought was a flatworm coming back on the firefish's side turned out to be a small injury he got during the transfer to the newer more spacious QT (went from a 10-20). It's gone as of yesterday and I hope it stays that way.
Old 02/26/2004, 04:42 PM
20 and over club

Just keep an eye on it. The flatworms could be back in 3 to 6 days.