Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Help.. Im a newb

Well, its true.. Im a newb to Saltwater Tanks....

I've always had freshwater..

I want to start a Mantis Shrimp tank. I think they are AWESOME!

Are there any articles or sites where I can get all information i need to house these critters?
Old 04/20/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

i would suggest starting up a 10G saltwater fish tank with liverock and if you can keep it stable (with test readings) for about 6 months then i would look for a mantis shrimp, a small one that is pretty forgiving on swings in phosphate, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates
Old 04/20/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I have a extra 10 gal.. I mean.. i know NOTHING about saltwater..

How similar is it to fresh? what do i need to change differently? Equipment? etc.etc.
Old 04/20/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

6 months? uhhh seems a bit drastic.
But i guess u have a point.
you can have knowledge but experience is what matters.
I think study for awhile, learn the chemistry (we r all still learning) and have a crack. you can PM me if u like and we can talk over the basics.
Old 04/20/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

IMHO I would suggest getting either/or
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=BKCMAS

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...dproduct=BKNMA

Your better LFS's will also probably have a copy of one or the other so ordering online shouldn't be necessary.

These are two books I recommend that EVERY marine aquarist has one of. They will take you through all the parts of a salt water aquarium, the different methods of filtration, equipment, set-up, and mantinance, along with some information about the inhabitants you may be interested in.

Your question is a little more complex than just what is the same and what is different. In many respects they are almost the same but in other areas they are totally different. Your best bet is to do some independant research (here and in boks) and then ask pointed questions. I would be happy to answer more pointed questions, but to answer your origional question we would need more room than a simple post.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 04/20/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

I'd recommend picking up some books.

Palleta's "The New Marine Aquarium" is a good book for beginners, then move on to the "Conciencious Marine Aquariast" by Bob Fenner.

Keep reading forums, and ask advice. I just bought a 20g system for a $100 from a guy who spent $600 on it - if he'd done more research, it would have done better.

Look for a local marine aquarium club too, you can get good advice and good prices on used gear too. Sometimes free stuff too. I've gotten mantises for free, or for trades from other members of the club I'm in. A bag of chaeto for a mantis is a sweet deal IMO.
Old 04/20/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I also recommend checking out www.wetwebmedia.com. It's Bob Fenner's web site. There is an outrageous amount of info there, just expect to spend a lot of time reading (like tens of hours).

Dan
Old 04/21/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

yup. research research research. books, forums, web sites, whatever. Too many noobs jump in without even know what the nitrogen cycle is. just read a lot and i think you'll be fine