Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2006, 08:26 PM
Moved

Stormy Seas

Well kids, looks like it's time for changing of the guards. First of all, it's with respect and admiration that I craft this thread, for the way hcs3 has lead CIMA. His style may not be appreciated by all but it's an amazing effort to keep this club together and growing. I personally thank you for all you've done.

With that said, I guess we need to make some decisions about who our leadership will be. There were rumblings of nominations so I thought it best to get this thread started so we can hash it all out. I also wont be around tonight to participate in the thread but I thought somone atleast needed to get it started.
Old 09/27/2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

There should be governing party, not just one person in charge. The chances of going power hungry are too great when there is a sole leader.
Old 09/27/2006, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

So what are the responsibilities?
Old 09/27/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Todd could be a part of the governing party. He has experience and drive to make the group succeed. These comments are not intended to single any person out or degrade anyone in any way. They are simply ideas and intended just for that.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:04 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Without getting into who should be the leader, I just want to say to everyone who has PMd me that it does not appear that CIMA is going to be broke up at this point. My original post was meant as an emergency action to create a point of contact so you guys could find out where the new forum would be and how we were going to proceed. At the time I was under the impression that within hours the forum was to be history. I have been informed by RC staff that this forum WILL NOT BE CLOSED. The forum belongs to RC and it is quite common for the "president" to step down. So thankfully the board will stay alive and all the information held within will not be lost.

I would also like to state at this point that I think its time for this Champaign/Urbana - Bloomington/Normal war be ended. I think it has been shown that the name calling and useless arguments have done nothing but needlessly tear the group apart.

I think now that neither "side" has a "ban button" we can now all be on an equal playing field and hopefully this power struggle will seize to exist....So lets burry the hatchet and get on with reefing.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Horace is Back! Bout time. Thank you again for all of your info/help in the past!

Vote for Horace!

~J
Old 09/27/2006, 09:13 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

What the Sam Hades is going on tonight. This is kind of out of left field...
Old 09/27/2006, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

To much ketamine I think
Old 09/27/2006, 09:24 PM
I have a new avatar

I think there needs to be a three or five person board of directors. The slash club in St Louis has something like that. I think five person would be best. I think that todd should be on it. as well as someone from the champain area as well as b-n. Maybe also someone from a differnt area than the champain/bloomington area. From what I have seen Aslantheking(I think thats it) would also be a good one for it.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

first, let me say that i want nothing to do with leadership. i have, however, helped build groups in the past and this is what has worked for me (and almost every other successful long-standing club)...

pretty standard executive board:

- president (doesn't do much 'cept prod others along and be a public forerunner)
- vice president (does a lot of the leg-work)
- secretary (record keeping, minutes, communications, etc)
- treasurer (self explainatory)

from there you can break down into sub-committees for event planning, group buys, promotional stuff, etc.

my $0.02.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:38 PM
Moved On

ye forgets i hold the key. if Horace is involed, the key does not pass out of my hands. I'd rather see it dissolve. no one will ever disrespect a CIMA host the way Horace did and be welcomed back into CIMA. the fact that he has the ability to show his face in the forum again, or anyone support him for that matter, is beyond my comprehension. the CIMA name will never be tarnished by Horace.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I will retract what I posted and just keep it to myself as to not cause any more hard feelings here. There is so much anger going on here right now that it is almost scary.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hcs3
ye forgets i hold the key. if Horace is involed, the key does not pass out of my hands. I'd rather see it dissolve. no one will ever disrespect a CIMA host the way Horace did and be welcomed back into CIMA. the fact that he has the ability to show his face in the forum again, or anyone support him for that matter, is beyond my comprehension. the CIMA name will never be tarnished by Horace.
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos
Personal attacks are not allowed on this board. ...

If I see any more personal attacks related to this thread, the perpetrators WILL BE REMOVED from RC.

Consider this the first and only friendly notice.

Kind regards,

Carlos
RC Staff
request for action
Old 09/27/2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hcs3
no one will ever disrespect a CIMA host the way Horace did and be welcomed back into CIMA.

DUDE! What are you talking about? Clearly you're mad about something. You're not even capitalizing your words. What the heck is going on?
Old 09/27/2006, 09:48 PM
I have a new avatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Benny Z
request for action

This thread like the future of cima can go two ways, fighting, crying and screaming. Or we can all be adults put the problems behind us and try to solve this ourselves.

We all know that if there is non-stop fights RC will just close the forum. I would prefer this not happening.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

i'm just saying...

back to the topic.
Old 09/27/2006, 09:55 PM
I have a new avatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
I would also like to state at this point that I think its time for this Champaign/Urbana - Bloomington/Normal war be ended.

I propose a CIMA meeting were we all watch the Godfather and Godfather II and see the best way to end family wars
Old 09/27/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I'm with fkdenton. Having been president twice of another club and on it's council, imho and ime a governing council of 5 members is probably the way to go. There probably should be a nominations thread begun here where candidiates can sign up or be nominated. Then hold an election.

Terry also made a good point earlier, we need to decide what the duties are to be for the council in general. Perhaps Henry would be good enough to post a general task list or description of what it entails to lead CIMA and oversee this board, the mailing list, and the website. Or perhaps RC has a set of guidelines established. Since I can never get the search function to work, perhaps a premium member can do a search of some type.

I've got no idea what's been going on lately having distanced myself due to certain individuals (who will remain nameless, but did not lead this club). I believe Henry has done an excellent job in both representing CIMA and dealing with club issues. Thanks, Henry. Take a well deserved break. Hope you return at some point.

(and I AM from B/N fwiw).

So it's hardly 100%...
Old 09/27/2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katana_user
Thanks, Henry.
I'll second that motion.

Not to sound like a broken record, but we folks down in the springpatch would like to know what the heck transpired to get to this point.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't aware that any single person held the key to CIMA. Unless the club has been officially assembled with bylaws and such then it is free to nominate and associate with anyone that it choses.

Coming from a very successful club (East Tennessee Reef Club) to here was quite a shock to me. ETRC covered an area comparable to CIMA. The meetings moved around to help people from the outer lying areas to make it. They had bylaws, organized leadership (such as BennyZ mentioned), and even (gasp!) dues. It was $24/yr. The money went to helping subsidize group buys and such. They managed to pick up a couple of LFSs as club sponsors and were constantly growing. Though they had elected leaders, the leaders had very little to do and did not micro-manage.

I think CIMA has huge potential! I haven't met everyone here, but the people I have met are great and passionate about our hobby. I hope that we take this time to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of this group and improve upon them. Just my thoughts.

Happy Reefing,
-Kevin H.

PS: I've not been around long enough to understand the B/N vs. C/U debates, but if it's only a matter of distance I often drove 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for ETRC meetings. When you have a great club people will make the drive.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by philagothos
the B/N vs. C/U debates
6 dozen of one, half of another as far as i'm concerned. Have two groups if ya like. Makes it twice as likely a meeting will be on a weekend i'm off work.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm a slow typist! There were 6 posts while I typed my last message! For (what I consider) a great example of club oraganization take a look at http://www.easttnreefclub.com/mission.html. It has their mission statement, bylaws, and constitution.

It's also a pretty decent club website. If we are going to go to the extent of electing officials it would be nice if we had an established set of guidelines to play by.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

i, for one, haven't had any beefs with any of the champ/urbana folks, aside from online ribbing of the club's (former?) leader and an occasional spat with said person regarding things i disagreed with. he just happens to live in that area...

my experience is similar - everyone i've met, regardless of their location, has been passionate about the hobby and willing to go out of their way to help a fellow reefer. ...even if everyone's a little wierd.

the afore-mentioned bn/cu "rivalry" is non-existant in my book.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:14 PM

I'm starting my own club. It's the southern springfield wickid cool reef nerds group. (SSWCRNG) Right now, i'm the only one invited. So there. Nanner nanner. :P
Old 09/27/2006, 10:17 PM
I have a new avatar

I will join if a veterinarian can write prescribtions for the really good pain pills