Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 07:36 PM
Tony Montanas electrician

Stop get a sandwich, fill up and go home

The 57 ave store has changed to a mucho dinero place Today he was talking BIG $$$ the fish from Australia bla bla bla $ 450.00 for this and this sells for $$$$, we must go on strike ,for at least a week to get descent pricing again
Old 11/05/2007, 07:38 PM
TANK RAIDER!

hahahah the cat's out of the bag!
just a matter of time

Last edited by gasman059; 11/05/2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

i agree... his pricing is still good but its gone up substantially. I wanted a certain "exotic" fish that a month ago was sold for about 30% less than it was today. I think all the posting on reef central about this place drove up demand way too high and now the prices are catching up. I may give it a few weeks before going to check out the store to let the "luster" die down and then ill take a second look around. He does get gorgeous stuff though.

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)
Old 11/05/2007, 10:39 PM
What next???

Nothing last forever....
Old 11/05/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i was just down there tonight. i agree w/ everything.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Aw...was gonna drive down there this wk to check it out that place. Oh, well, I don't NEED any new fishes any fishes anyway.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

well at least i picked up a nice baseball sized lime green ricordea rock today at a diff LFS for $30

(knock on wood...)
Old 11/06/2007, 02:05 AM
What next???

Eddie you bastard.....lol j/k
I think I am going to jack you for some rics.
Relax...relax...that was a joke. Don't call the police.
How many polyps on this rock for $30 bucks. I am
so jealous!!!!!!

Last edited by REDDAWG43; 11/06/2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:33 AM

Eddie I was hoping to see ya there yesterday, what time you usually go? I was there about 5:30 - 6:00, Wendsday he gets a new shipment, I suggest no one shows up till Thursday atleast THAT WILL TEACH HIM A LEASON.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:41 AM

Oh yea I forgot how come Lunio still gets good prices ? Lunio is there something that you know that we should know ?. Man he goes there starts the chit chat with the little muchacha "get cafesitos, croketas" bla bla bla, and next thing you know we all get a price increase except Lunio actually I saw him pay $ 5.00 for a hammer coral the size of a pastelito.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:49 AM
TANK RAIDER!

cono Lulio still ha senority!
Old 11/06/2007, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invertigator
If we don't stop talking about this place, three thousand people will be there each time they get a shipment and the theory of supply and demand will apply and we will be paying top dollar like everywhere else. IMHO I think we should use PM's or phone calls to discuss shipments.
A long time ago the gasmaster and I discussed that this would happen. On October 17th I wrote the above suggestion and you guys kept posting every time they were getting a shipment and saying how he was SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN EVERY OTHER FISH STORE IN THE WORLD etc. etc....... Now everyone in the tri-county area knows about the famous gasoline/fish store and he has no reason to keep giving away stock to maintain his sales. We have no one but ourselves to blame. He is just a wise businessman.

Getting up in the morning sucks, but it beats the alternative.
Old 11/06/2007, 06:40 AM
TANK RAIDER!

I think he will most def come around. The only advantage that storefront had over the other 15 down suoth was the pricing.

If u want to compete down south u have to have an edge-that was his.

Anyways I still believe the difference between that and any store is the fact that most lfs owners and transhippers like in any other bissness only want one thing the mula.(understandable)

The smart guys provide superior service customer care and always come ahead.

And its up to the consumer to realize and understand that there's such a thing as freigth charges and so forth.

I've been on both sides of the fence and understand the particulars .
IT'S NOT EASY.

Remember patience is a virtue.
Old 11/06/2007, 07:11 AM
What next???

He is still cheaper than many other stores....just not as cheap as before.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

I was there Sat. at 1 when he opens. Waited til almost 2 and no one showed up. I went back on Sun. and was there at 11, the listed opening time, yet again no one there. Waited til almost 11:30 and never showed.
I was ready to purchase the Crosshatch pair he has, but obviously couldn't. Are these unreliable store hours the norm for him??? I live REALLY far and have nothing to show for my trip.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Prices may have gone up a little but he has the best prices hands down, the key for me is to know what I am buying, the market price, staying within my budget, what I feel is a good deal and being able to walk away from a fish that captures my mind, sometimes he has fish that I have never seen at any store in the last 25 years only seen in magazines or books the other day a guy freaked out over a $300 fish but I guess he was not aware that the fish sell for $600-$700 on-line.
My main goal when I drop by is to share a laugh not to buy fish, that puts me at an advantage because I wait for the deals to come to me, yesterday I called to place an order of Palomilla steak, white rice, black beans and plantains then dropped by for pick up during the shipment frenzy. Next time you see me don't expect me to walk out with a fish but just with a smile
Old 11/06/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

hope you didnt drive from naples mrp... he NEVER opens on time! At least not the 5-6 times ive gone by at opening time.

(knock on wood...)
Old 11/06/2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

After all I am heading over they recived an unexpected shipment from Africa and to see what is left over from Hawaii.

See you there
Old 11/06/2007, 07:30 PM

This place reminds me of Wall Street
Old 11/06/2007, 08:43 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Guys just be happy to deal with a decent guy with good manners and with great customer service.!!
Old 11/07/2007, 07:15 AM
TANK RAIDER!

BTW I did dirve down last night and he consistently gets nice livestock.

One big plus in my mind is his customer service
I've had nothing but good experiences.

Why why o why there's gotta be some negative posts regarding any of our lfs.

They are all trying to make a living as much as we are.

I've seen them all good fish bad fish regular fish and the bottom line is u get what u pay for and is no more evident than in this hobby.

A little education goes a long ways!
Old 11/07/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Gasman why the change in attitude a second ago u were bashing the guy just like everyone here? carlos has always had great prices and superb customer service everyone here should be ashamed of what your trying to acomplish the guy has cheaper prices than some wholesalers and u guys are still complaining
if i were him i wouldnt even let u guys in the store,non the less
u guys are forgetting when he gets these rare shipments of fishes he is risking it ive seen him get a box full of dead fish and still sell me a mystery wrasse for 60 bucks i think everyone here should appologize for being VERY unconsiderate JUST MY 2 CENTS.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:07 AM
What next???

Hey Mike were did Manny do any bashing?
Old 11/07/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

do i need to point it out:

The only advantage that storefront had over the other 15 down suoth was the pricing.

that and he agreed with everyone else here u can tell i dont agree.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

I re-read the entire thread and haven't seen one instance of bashing... This is a forum and we speak our minds here and pass on in info to other members and unfortunately it isn't always going to be be wonderful news. I personally like Carlos alot and he runs a nice business. He has good people skills and from what I've seen good customer service but I have noticed that he does open later than what he has as his store hours so I attempted to inform the poor guy from Naples so he doesn't waste his gas money trying to be there at 1pm when they supposedly open. And second, his prices have definitely gone up but like I stated earlier they are still cheaper than most others. I am the kind of person that I call things as I see'em and I don't think that anyone on this thread did any bashing at all including myself.

Its always funny how when you give praise to someone everyone applauds but the moment you have something that is not as wonderful to say you are attacking the guy. That's hypocritical.

(knock on wood...)