Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Hydroids on zoos.

Like the title says, I have what I believe to be hydroids on my daytripper zoos. It looks like they are stinging the zoos too. Anyone know how I can remove them from the zoos or should I just frag the affected zoos and remove them from my tank?

TIA!
Old 08/30/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

I can't offer anything except for my sympothy. I believe I just noticed my first couple hydroids, so I will follow this thread in case I run into this situation.
Old 08/30/2007, 09:24 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Joe's Juice em' like you would an aptasia... Carefully as to not nuke the zoos around em ?

" Charles V "
Old 08/30/2007, 08:19 PM
Keeping It Real

LOL All I have to say is good luck!!! The best solution I have for you is to try and frag your Daytrippers off that rock and throw it in the trash... I know people that have: superglued, blowtorched, dipped, baked, kalked, and Joes juiced them and they still came back... I saw a few in one of my tanks, took the rock out and chiseled the spot they were in, and they came back... I threw that rock out... Oh, and be carefull, if you're allergic, they can pack a NASTY whollup... One of my friends gets these nasty blisters from them... They don't affect me as bad...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 08/30/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I just joe juiced mine and it worked.
Old 08/30/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

WHAT IS A HYDRIOD???
Old 08/30/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

A hydroid is something you do not want in your tank. I have been doing some research (as I am at the beginning of an infestation) and it seems that hydroids can be killed by:

1. panacur (a de-worming agent used for horses / dogs)
2. hot water (90*+)
3. any other nuking method (kalk paste, joes juice, lemon/lime juice, etc)

The problem (for most people) is that spot treatment is not effective. So panacur is usually the only possible method although it will kill some algae and will wipe out any and all starfish (possibly other livestock).
Old 08/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Don't know if this will help, but I had a bad infestation of hydroids (don't know which one) but they took out almost all of my zoas. I was feeding newly hatched brine shrimp almost daily for a mandarin and brine shrimp was a favorite hydroid food. I stopped feeding the tank, mandarin included, except for mysis shrimp for the other fish. It took a couple of months but the hydroids slowly disappeared. Fortunately the mandarin survived. Now some 6 months later I'm still very cautious about feeding anything but the fish and feed newly hatched brine about once a week. I'd like to believe I starved the hydroids out. The few zoas colonies that survived are slowly looking better.
Old 09/02/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have pics? I think I have a case of the hydroids.
Old 09/02/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone ever tried a fresh water dip?
Old 09/02/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I had the hydroids with the brown tube curled at the bottom. These things are a PITA, I've tried a hr FW dip nada, joes juice works if you pile it on top of it, but that cant always be done. I didnt know what these were at first until i did a little reading, but i ended up chucking the whole rock. Still some growing here and there but mostly behind the back of the rocks where i cant get to them.

Not sure what kind you have but i like to scrape them off into the syphon when i do a water change that way i get them off the rock and out of the tank.