Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Angry Fed up with the crazy prices "per polyp" Is it just me?

Is it me or are the prices online Waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy toooo high, in particular the price per polyp thing gets on my last nerve.. seems to take all the fun out the hobby.. Oh and i am by no means cheap or unable to pay but it gets to be insulting at times.

Just venting so if anyone feels the same post your overpriced sites so we can expose these goons.

holla.

Waay over priced and they color inhance these photos for sure
http://reefready.net/rr2/
Old 08/24/2007, 11:14 PM
Moved On

supply and demand sets the price, no avoiding that. if one can get 40 bucks a polyp they will sell them for that, if they won't bring that much, the price drops.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

i understand this, but i think they put these funky name on them and command crazy prices..

I have some very nice peices that i bought for cheap at my LFS that are online for rediculous prices with a funky name?

We arent stupid!!
Old 08/24/2007, 11:34 PM
Moved On

you'll find it's something new every few yrs, it was Torts and Purple Monster Acros a few yrs ago, now it's PPE and Watermelon Chalice, it'll be something new next year
Old 08/24/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

hopefully it'll be xenia! got plenty of that.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:47 PM
Moved On

doubt that'll make a come back, 10 yrs ago people would pay 50 bucks a frag for Xenia, now you can't give it away. over the past 5 yrs it's become more tolerant to shipping and is prolific throughout the world, bumped up the supply allot and cut way back on demand
Old 08/24/2007, 11:52 PM
zoa ninja

This topic has been discussed so many times. As JetCat stated, the issue of "price per polyp" exists in every part of this hobby, wether it be LPS, SPS or Zoanthids. Often times, trading with other hobbyists will save you tons of cash. BTW, I don't think RR enhances their photos, most of the pics seem pretty accurate to me.
Old 08/25/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I wonder why they think they can get $90 for a sunset monti that isn't Tyree. Even if it was the exact same piece but someone didn't know it was tyree and it was, the price would go down by at least $30.
Old 08/25/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

exactly..
Old 08/25/2007, 02:42 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

If somepeople continue to pay for it, they'll continue to sell it for that... like other people said supply and demand....

You just got to be on the look out for fellow reefers selling... I got lucky with a fellow reefer.. I got a frag of Purple Deaths, Nuclear Greens, Aeon Fluxes, Yellow/lavender duncans, and a plathoa of other zoos...total street value probly 1/2 a G or 3/4 ($1000) which I got for only $220... But I did promise him to give him some frags when he decides to come back.

I also got lucky at the BACFM, I got 3 polyps of True PPE's from Steve Tyree himself for real cheap.....

I also got a frag of 6-7 polyps of PPE and Tyree Sunset monti for $200. from another reputable reefer...

YOu just got to scrounge around...

But I do agree these prices for a polyp no bigger that an eraser head for $80-90 is absurd. I more in the cost per size.. I rather pay 80 bucks for a 1" frag of LE sps than 80 for a tiny sized zoo...

" Charles V "
Old 08/25/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh I just started a thread on this, sorry, I can see what the answer is. IMO it's insane for something that spreads so fast. I think I may invest in some of these $85 per polyp zoa's (yeah, there out there) and start selling......If you can get them spreading you can make a fortune on this.
Old 08/25/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Those prices are retarded. I see zoas just as nice in the $5 and $10 frag bin at my LFS. I will make up my own stupid names when i get home, thank you very much.
Old 08/26/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

I agree with that. It seems that once a coral gets a "special" name, all of a sudden its value increases 5 fold. I always see things advertised as "The real such-n-such" and its priced ungodly high for a frag, when you can get a colony that looks EXACTLY the same (minus the special name, of course) for less. It's almost silly. But as others have said-if people pay that much, they will sell for that much
Old 08/27/2007, 12:06 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

which is why I rather trade or buy from fellow reefers....I got my true AOG's, Tubs Blues, Rainbows, RPE's, PPE's, Nuclear Deaths, Purple Deaths, etc... for much lower prices or FREE...

" Charles V "
Old 08/27/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Lets Bann em..underground trade platform

delsol650 is there any way we could share those fellow reefers information so that we can have an underground trade platform, i have a few nice zoo colonies and frags that i wouldnt mind trading....

This way we would actually be combating the rediculous capital EXPLOITATION of the reef and hobbie!!

Online Zoo rebelion starts here!! Mutiny Mutiny band these sites!! LOL
seriously though !!!!!!! ;/
Old 08/27/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

When I first got into the hobby, I was buying some zoas at stupid price on ebay or sites, just because they had a name or because they supposedly could sell for $30+ a polyp. You live and learn, trade, trade, trade.
Old 08/27/2007, 10:46 AM
Got Zoa Pox?

Quote:
Originally posted by MLIVVY
hopefully it'll be xenia! got plenty of that.

LOL :LOL:

I doubt it will happen. Nice one though!

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08/27/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Well I'll come out and defend them. One of the issues I've seen with buying frags online is the variance in color/thickness/growth pattern/polyps between corals fo the same type. Buying a 'named' coral (with lineage) and paying a premium is really buying insurance on your frag --- they have been around so you can find pics of them under different lighting systems to help see what they will look like in your tank. If there were a more standardized coral ID system you would just be trading Rose Milli variant #213 and know what you're getting. There isn't so instead you pay $20 more for the ORA version of the Rose Milli. If the $20 isn't worth it to you, then take a chance on buying one from a guy on RC who is blasting it in a sterile frag tank with 400w radiums 20ks and hope it looks the same in your tank.

The names, and lineages, are no different than certified diamonds, certified used cars or buying name brand instead of generic --- you're paying for assurance. I grow out some Tubs Blue Zoas and trust me the transaction goes easier than trying to sell someone on generic pretty blues.

Personally I think ORA has the right model. They find a nice variant, frag it, farm it in decent quantity, and charge a small premium for the name. They aren't always the nicest you can find, but you know what you're getting. Some of the LEs that people come up with where they only release 2 per year is taking it to the extreme, but that's the collector mentality.
Old 08/27/2007, 12:02 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

I have no problem paying top dollar for a zoa or paly frag that i really like. Once you get some nice frags with a fancy name or not you can trade with local reefers. I havent paid for any zoanthids or palys in over a year.
It makes me happy to spend my time and money on a hobby i really enjoy.
Old 08/27/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

its about the hype.. some people dont care paying because they are getting what they want. MJanderson is also right that sometimes what you get in LFS isnt the same as what you get from fellow reefers. I think that is what people pay for.

But go into any other hobby. It all about the hype. Even look into PS3s when it first came out and the Wii even. Hype.

check out my red house!!!
Old 08/27/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member.

If anybody buys a coral or polyp based on a name as opposed to the beauty is a fool. I have a tank full of zoanthids and palys that have names, but each one is unique and don't come through local distribution channels. A lot of the hot zoas that are around are cherry picked by online retailers before they can even get to LFS here in the mid west and east. I'm sure that is even true to a certain extent out west. The old line of I find these morphs in my LFS frag trash bin I find funny, I have heard it time and time again and I still haven't seen one person put up a picture of PPE, Armageddon's, Purple Deaths, Nuclear Greens and a whole bunch of the other top bought and traded morphs that they got from their LFS frag trash bin. That is to say you won't find some cool polyps in there but as far as the top hot morphs I highly doubt it for one reason and on reason only. They would have never made it there in the first place.

There are those that put a higher price on the name and that is to only market themselves as the distributor of that name and color morph so it is a manner of self hype. A name truly does not add to the price, take a look at a lot of the polyps on Ultimatefrags or Zoafrags. Those would be that price with or with out a name simply because they are what I would call Hobby rare. Rare in the sense that the distribution of that specific color morph is low to those that want them and collect them and also the fact that some do not reproduce very fast will also keep the price high.

To me that name has no weight and to the rest of you it shouldn't either, but the beauty of the polyp itself is what sells it name or not. Purple Deaths would be just as sweet and still command the same price if they did or dont have a name just like most other hot color morphs.

I don't have a problem buying them at those prices either but I tend to want more bang for my buck so I trade with other reefers mostly. Plus I don't know what the wholesalers are charging for some of these morphs cause I would find it hard to believe that they don't know about the demand on our side of the hobby and don't try to reap some of the reward which will also drive the price up.

Take Yumas for example, I got a PM from a guy that can cherry pick from his wholesalers and guess what the prices were for some of the high end yumas? There wasn't one that was under $85 wholesale then you have to add cherry picking cost and other cost added on top of that by the wholesaler. So in the end the wholesale price for rare yumas are $110-$120 per polyp. So a online retailer charges $180 and people get all bent out of shape at the price and accuse of price gouging....
Old 08/27/2007, 02:54 PM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

Ace1,
I see that you posted the link to Reffready about his prices. I do know that he has some of the nicest corals around and they are legit in color. Although i have not purchased anything from him.
Maybe since you've been keeping fresh water for so long and recently got a reef tank you are having some sticker shock on the prices.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Just cause it's expensive doesn't mean you need to open your wallet. Surf the trades, pm people with them, get out to frag swaps. Or just wait until they drop in price in a year, or in the case of things like PPE's.... they may not drop much more. Buck up, pay $$$ for a couple polyps, grow them out and frag them and sell them at a reasonable price to other reefers. Put the expensive retailers out of business.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 08/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I honestly just try to network around with fellow reefers in your area, clubs etc... If they don't have what you want surely they will know someone that does and you probly won't pay and arm and a leg like some stores are asking for now a days...

I have been fortunate to know a bunch of really nice reefers in my area and also a couple of stores that I patronize a bit and have grown quite friendly with and at times hook me up real well.

But would I pay 50-80 for a polyp... thats a hard call unless its something that is not really attainable through my network of friends and contacts... then I would be forced to.. but the money I would use is from selling some of my coral.... NOT my own personal stash....

" Charles V "
Old 08/28/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

i perfer buying them locally with other reefers...