Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

ZOOS Growing??????

I've had a small rock of green zoos (not all that exciting) for two months now and the colony of 15 polyps has only added 4 new small polyps. I have a 72 gallon bowfront. salinity 1.024, pH 8.3, ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates real low. Any one have any suggestions on improving their growth?
Old 06/10/2005, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Whats your lighting like? What other corals do you have and how is their growth???
65 Gallon mixed reef
35 Gallon Osc. Clown breeding tank
5.5 Gallon custom Nano
Old 06/10/2005, 12:02 AM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

how about feeding em??
i turn off my pumps and drop a little frozen mysis shrimp over em they take it in real good
just a suggestion
Old 06/10/2005, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

When I started dosing calcium, my zoo growth exploded. Try using Mrs. Wages pickling lime in your topoff water.
Old 02/26/2006, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Feeding cyclopse also helps a great deal i have found. Also a good iodine like kents lugols or belive it or not purple up has a good source of iodine
Old 02/26/2006, 06:06 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Not to knock any of these great comments from knowlegable members, but I have never seen my zoas eating anything. most of the time, if food lands on the polyp, they will close over it and then expel it shortly afterwards.

Time and stable conditions are usually the trick to getting your zoas to grow. Some need more light, current or both.

Like many corals, zoas will not grow unless conditions are right.
Stable, Salinity, Ph/alk, Temp...

Give them some time, they'll grow.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Well i have witnessed my zoo eating cyclopeeze and mysis and i have noticed rapid growth since i discovered that they will actually consume this...

IMO Feeding is very important for color and growth
Old 08/23/2007, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

My zoo's actively eat mysis and retain it until approx 4 days later they usually release a long stringy brown excrement. The colony does this in unison.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

how about raising temp a couple degrees, this increases the colonies metabolism and should speed up growth
Old 08/24/2007, 08:49 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Humm, I posted that comment a while ago. I find feeding Zoanthids very difficult, but not impossible. It required me to do spot feeding and fending off the fish while the zoas ate.
My Palythoa on the other hand are voracious eaters. They're much easier to feed and consume the food fast enough to keep the fish away.

This does help growth, but it is a lot of work. The problem is when you don't have time to feed your zoa's every night, or stop altogether. I have seen colonies recede after I stopped feedings.

IMO, I am not a proponent to spot feeding zoas all the time. I find it to be difficult to maintain and it contributes to alage growth around the colonies.

I would feed zoas that are not doing well or growing way too slow. That will help kick start the colony, but I wouldn't do it indefinitely.

Also, watch for new algae growth. If it starts to bloom, cut back on the feedings or filter harder.

I agree about raising the temp, but conditionally. Raising the temp would help if the temp was real low (73-75 degrees), but if you're already running the temp higher (79-81 degrees) it's dangerous to go higher. The reason is if you run the temp at 82 degrees, on a hot day it has the potential to jump to the dangerous levels quicker (86-90) which will result in death.

I wonder, why was this thread dug up?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 08/24/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

iodine dipping?

check out my red house!!!
Old 08/24/2007, 09:43 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Do you mean Lugols? I'd use Lugols for dipping new zoas, but that's it.

I have never seen a positive response from dosing Iodine additives.

B.B.
Old 08/25/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

i've seen about 6 new polyps on my frag first zoa frag and i got it last weekend. I dont spot feed

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 08/28/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

My zoo's actively eat mysis and retain it until approx 4 days later they usually release a long stringy brown excrement. The colony does this in unison.

i allso see the same they love it they reproduce alot faster IMHO
Old 08/29/2007, 09:21 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

the brown slime is just POOP.

" Charles V "