Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2005, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

Clown goby with recurring spots/raised scales

I'm wondering if anyone can help here. I've seen several threads over at nano-reef.com related to this, so my goby's not the only one, but no one seems to know what it is.

The first time the spots showed up, he seemed (and still seems) fine, eating normally (picky, but interested), not lethargic, acting... well, like a clown goby. He initially developed a few bumps about the size of a salt grain, the same colour as his body, on both his fins and body - those on his side actually looked more like raised scales than anything else. The next day, he was covered with 10+ spots but still behaved normally. Last time this happened he did lose some colour, but it came back while he still had the spots. They lasted a few days, then gradually faded away.

I assumed this might be some sort of virus, like lymphocystis, but can't find any information that matches it. Now the spots are back, but I can't get a decent pic - he's very small, and my camera isn't the best.

Has anyone seen this? I'd think parasite, but my wrasse is completely spot-free and I assume his behaviour would change if he was itchy or in pain.

Possibly helpful info:
Tank is 14g, 3 months old, 80w PC lighting 10h daily, 15lbs Aragonite sand, 20lbs Kaelini LR, small PH, AC70 HOB refugium (currently empty, chaeto on order). Currently using a Prizm skimmer, AquaC Remora is on the way. No matter what I try, there are microbubbles in the tank - I doubt this is a factor, but I'm listing everything I can think of.

Parameters:
pH 8.2-3, SG 1.025, NH3 & NO2 0, NO3 0-5, PO4 0 (I use PhosGuard), Ca 400, 8dKH, temp 82-83F

Tank inhabitants:
Lubbock's fairy wrasse, clown goby, tiger pistol shrimp, two scarlet hermits, 1 Trochus, 5 Astraeas, 2 Indo-Pacific turbos, 1 small cleaner shrimp (new, shy, haven't seen it offer to clean the fish)

Corals:
Zoas, Xenia, GSP, pimply mushrooms

Thanks for taking the time to read this - if I find the answer, there are a few people over on n-r.com that would probably be very happy to know what this is as well.

ADD:
I'm linking a thread from n-r.com . This goby looks worse than mine, but otherwise identical. It had no spots at the store, it developed them right after entering the tank. They mention that the goby may have gotten hurt, but when I looked just now I see that on the first day it has a few spots, by the next it's covered - at the time I thought that injury was likely the cause of the raised scales, but I believe now that this is the exact same condition my little guy has.
Old 08/10/2005, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

The spots are receding again - each time this only seems to last 24-72h before it disappears, it's very strange. No one's seen anything like this before?
Old 08/11/2005, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

We have a yellow clown goby that experiences little bumps - not really white spots, they are more like flesh color little bumps. It has no issues with eating, scratching, etc.. acts fine with the exception of seeing the bumps - which are periodic and seem to disappear as quickly as the appear.

We have chosen not to treat for ich since he is not showing any signs and the other tank mates are healthy. We also have 2 cleaner shrimp that has shown no interest in cleaning him but on occasion they will clean our orange shoulder tang. We have had our clown goby for about 4 months now.

Not sure what the cause is with the spots and in our case bumps but as interested to know if anyone else experiences something similar with their clown gobies.
Old 08/11/2005, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

ktownhero posted to the thread on n-r.com and confirmed my suspicions - their goby's spots disappear/reappear, similar to my little guy. I'm guessing that yours may have the same condition Piper, and I'm willing to bet there are more. Interesting that all our fish are basically fine, just occasionally somewhat lumpy, lol.