Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 07/05/2005, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Modding an existing skimmer with a NW pump-success stories?

I have an old Kent skimmer (TE) that I've been using with a mag 7 pump. The skimming is ok, even with drilling holes in the impeller (made a big difference), but was toying with the idea of replacing this with the genx 2400 NW.

Anybody have sucess replacing the stock pump with a NW pump for any type of skimmer? Can this be considered a cheap fix?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07/05/2005, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

I added a genx 2400 to the free berlin classic skimmer that I got and it seems to work great. A lot of people seem to say the berlins suck but I have to empty mine once or twice a week and thats on a 75g tank with only one fish. I guess I'm saying that I think the needle wheels can help a bad skimmer functon better.
Old 07/05/2005, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Kent Nautilus TE:

I originally posted that the skimmer sucks because adjusting was a pain and if you accidently pull the riser out..it becomes a hassle to put back in if you have limited space. However, instead of using the recommended pump, I had a sedra 5k NW lying around.

I installed the pump and it made a difference. I skim wet, so I have to clean out the collection cup every day and wipe off the gunk on the neck. Unlike the other skimmers, the extra slim on the wall would help, but in the case with Nautilus the performance would be hinder significantly. For example: when I left my skimmer on for two days without cleaning it, the second day it would not skim anymore until I clean out the neck. After that, it would skim fine.

It actually isn't a bad skimmer. I just didn't like the riser tube. I took out my ASM G4 with Sedra 9k for it. Less noisy, heat, and energy consumption.

Quote:
can this be a cheap fix
Yes and no. Unless you have a pump lying around or I missed it in your first post (i am in edit mode now), then it will be cheap. If you don't have one, could cost you another 100 unless you get a used one.

Coralife Skimmer seems to be really good if you are going cheap and want a decent/good skimmer. I never had one, so I can't say.
Old 07/06/2005, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

I have a Kent Marine Nautilus EX 24" Skimmer, and I got screwed hardcore on the deal. Long story short, the guy who sold it to me never used it, and told me to contact the previous owner of it for help (the previous owner didnt want to help considering I didnt give him the money). The water tube that spins the water was broken and replaced with regular PVC, and the pump was undersized, causing the venturi not to pull air in as it should.

In my frustration, I made a few posts in a local forum about it, and someone reccomended using the OceanRunner 2700 on it. While this pump only costs about $70 new + shipping, we couldnt afford to add on $70 to an already expensive purchase. We will though after seeing how it worked on others.

We just put a high quality air pump on the venturing, and we skim very well. I'm not sure what defines skimming wet vs. dry (this is our first "real" skimmer, only Skilters before), but the skimmate is a dark dark coffee color, and the smell could choke a moose.

You being the third person who has mentioned putting a needle wheel pump on the skimmer, I think I'm going to have to suck it up, and do it.