Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2004, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Metal Halide questions Warning:Newb to MH

I know there are probably 47,00 threads out there about this but I get lost when I don't know what I am looking for.
I have a couple of questions before I go from vho to metal halide

What is the difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts and is one better than the other?
Because magnetic are way cheaper.

What is the difference between probe and pulse and is one better than the other?

If I have mushrooms and softies what adjustments will I need to do to keep them alive?

What type of bulbs (meaning wattage) assuming I will carry my 2 110 watt blues over will I need? (I will not have any SPS or Clams; not interested)
I have: zoas mush ric trachy cynaria all types of leathers torch frogspawn bubble scolymia.

How long is "safe" to use the bulbs before they are bad. (Before you answer this, I change my vho's every 4-5 months)

What companies have better bulbs and ballasts (because with vho, I only have 1 choice)?

Thanks again hope to hear from you experts soon.
Thx,
Mike
Old 09/19/2004, 01:12 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

Magnetic ballasts (and HQI, which is a high power version of magnetic) burn bulbs brighter, using more electricity and possibily shortening the life of the bulb (although many argue this. You should change any halide bulb every year anyway due to spectral shifts). Mag ballasts also tend to have less trouble and quirks than eballasts. Mag ballast also run hot (particularily HQI ballasts). They can also be very specific about which bulbs they will run (pulse start, probe start, EYE for Iwaski, etc..)

Eballasts run cooler, use less electricity, and drive bulbs dimmer (up to 40% less by some testing). A lot of the bluer bulbs (14K, 20K) will be much bluer on eballasts. They can have problems and quirks occasionally (the technology is still fairly new). But they can also run almost any bulb, making future changes in bulb choices very easy.

The choice of ballasts is personal—one is not "better" than the other. Depends on your budget, what your are keeping, the color you are after, etc...

Probe, pulse and HQI starting mechanisms depends on which bulbs you are running, and should be thoroughly researched before buying ballasts (eballasts are the exception).

For what your are keeping, I would look at 175W bulbs, or 150W HQI DE bulbs (if you want something more small and cutting art). The 175's are very affordable and everywhere (check out Ebay). The 150's are also rather affordable, but they must have glass shields, making installation into canopies much more difficult. The 150's will probably be a little brighter

PFO and Sunlight Supply make great ballasts and products... I personally think SLS makes a little better product and offers a little better service. But PFO is very popular and you can't really go wrong with them either. For eballasts, Ice Cap is the number one seller and seems very popular (but runs the dimmest of all eballasts).

Since you are supplementing with VHO acintics, I would look at 10k bulbs such as AB Aqualine, or Ushio...

Hope this helps....!
Old 09/19/2004, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

What about aro ballsts?
Check this out and tell me?

http://www.carolinacorals.com/ballast.html

And with the cheaper one which bulbs are runnable as well as with the ARO?
Also, when I put the 2 175 watt bulbs with the 220 vhos
What do I do for my corals as told above. How long do bulbs need to burn before they are safe?
Old 09/19/2004, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Also could you recommend some web sites for your choices/

Also, you mentioned HQI? What is that? And does anybody have an opinion on pulse or probe//like what are they are difference?
Thx,
Mike
Old 09/19/2004, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 09/20/2004, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

whaqt is the difference between mogul and HQI as well?
Old 09/28/2004, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Okay,
when people say magnetic ballasts use more energy, what would be the percentage difference in the electrc bill?

$15 for eballast $30 for magnetic?
Old 09/28/2004, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

mogul are screw in bulbs, HQI can eaither be Mogul base or Double Ended, but they produce a lot more UV and need a UV shield so the UV does not hurt the corals.
Old 09/28/2004, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Well I looks like you have lots of questions about MH! here is a link to answer many of your questions about types of ballast!
MH Thread

As far as making the bulbs safe for your tank there are many different options on this I am sure but what I have found that works very well is going to a home improvement store and buying those screens and cut them to fit the top of your tank do about 6 layers (just and make the inside of the tank as bright as it was before). Then every week or so take a layer off.

The thread above should help you with the Ballast questions but I will say the Eballast are nice because you can run any bulb if you are going to just keep mostly softies I would run a very blue bulb like the XM 20 or the AB 20. You can find both of the bulbs at Premiumaquatics.com or hellolights.com. If you have anymore questions let us know.

Keith