Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Two Part Solutions

Anyone using the two part solutions from the twopartsolutions.com website for Alk/Calcium/Mg? I just purchased some and was curious if any of you have tried them. They are much cheaper then using B-Ionic or C-Balance. I was wondering if when using the solutions from twopartsolutions.com if there is any need to add any other type of trace elements such as Strontium or Iodine?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

i just ordered a kit the other day, should be here this week. i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I just got a 6 gallon kit today along with some ferric oxide phosphate remover and carbon. I am going to try and setup an automatic dosing system using the kent marine aquadosers for the two part solutions. I noticed they changed their website to www.bulkreefsupply.com.

That Chaeto you gave me a while back is doing nicely in my refugium. Did those Zoas I gave you make it ok?
Old 01/08/2008, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

yeah their doing ok in my frag tank, i put a small piece in my display and they still dont open much. i don't know why i have such a hard time with zoas.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Chris,

Did you order the pellets or granular ferric oxide phosphate remover and which type of carbon did you order?

TIA
Old 01/08/2008, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I ordered the granular ferric oxide for use in a phosban reactor and for the carbon I ordered the Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I've been using the Ca, Alk & Mg for about 6 mos now and they all are working fine. You will have the adjust the quantities added to your system. You can start with their recommened additions but keep checking the values. The Mg never really desolves so you need to shake the container before you add, I was alittle freeked by this but this is what they told me to do and it seems to be OK
Old 01/08/2008, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Make your own solutions- do a search on " Randys Recipe"
Old 01/08/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at Randy's Recipe, but I saw that the Dow Flake is no longer being produced in a suitable form to use for this. What are you using in place of that?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

I think you can still use it but the manufacturer doesnt want to be responsible if something goes wrong
Old 01/09/2008, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

i think they actually used to remove bromide from dow flake before packaging it, and they recently stopped doing so. I don't think anyone knows for sure what the effects if any are of bromide in our tanks, but i'm not willing to risk it. Randy claims that it's no concern when using dow to boost the calcium of a salt mix, but when using it as a daily additive it could be an issue.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:37 AM
RC Staff
American

Two Part Solutions claims to have a large stockpile of that original recipe Dow Flake on hand, and several other "clean"
options to use when that runs out. I don't know about DIY, but you can still get it from Two Part.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 01/10/2008, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

They appear to have a High Capacity GFO available on that site. I wonder if thats really better then the regular GFO.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

It's probably better if you are using it in a filter bag.