Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

should i get more reef safe fish?

i have a 55G corals tank and i want to add more reef fish in .

right now i got
1 fangblenny
2 pecula clown
1 purple pseudochromis
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 green
1mandarin (green)
1 cleaning shimp
1 six line wrasse
1 blue damsel
and i had a half back angel but it was a nipper so i took it out.
any suggestions?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:21 PM
Team RC Member

I hope that this is not actually your fish list. You are beyond overstocked.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

if you have a full blown reef, i'd say its overstocked, bio load wise ur at your peak..

I'd be careful if you want to continue stocking, and would highly advise against it. Keep up on ur WC's, what's ur Filtration?

I suggest removing the tangs, atleast the Blue Hippo, size wise its gonna get a lil' too big
40lbs LR
Hydor Koriala 2
Maxi Jet 900 Pump Replacement

Click the Red House to see my tank
Old 01/04/2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

the biggest fish i have is the yellow tank and like 3 1/2 inchs.
i have a refug .

nitrate = 0
nitrite= 0
ph 8.3
cal= 430

i was thinkin about gettin a naso tang ..a really small one .
Old 01/04/2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

your definately over stocked, and i agree get rid of the hippo tang. they get very large. they are called hippo tangs for a reason.

Harry
Old 01/04/2008, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

how much live rock do you have in your tank and fuge?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:48 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

You're asking for trouble.... you're tank isn't even a year old and you have more fish than an established 55gal could support. PLEASE sell/trade off some of your fish before your tank crashes and takes all your fish with it.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:56 PM
Team RC Member

All tangs should go: they need 150 gallons just with the 2 tangs you have.
No more fish than what you have. If you didn't have a fuge you'd be in trouble with the 6line and the mandy; and as some of these fish reach adulthood you may again be overcrowded.
Get yourself some corals and concentrate on that. They are biologically more filter and extractor than inputter. They will improve your water. With your fish load, if you have stronger light, I would recommend hardy lps like frog and hammer, candycane. Or if not brightly lighted go softie, with zoas, mushrooms; or toward the frilly leathers. All the corals I have recommended will sop up nutrients and help your skimmer. If you do end up keeping stony coral, you will have to supplement calcium.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I too have a 55g and I have one clown fish, 1 flame angel and 1 pyjama fish. I only want a couple more small fish and thats it. I would rather have a tank that it quiet and healthy than lots of unhappy fish. I do have lots of corals though as they seem to be more my forte anyway, i know I should stop soon but I keep seeing more that I like.

I have 16 corals in mine but I wish I had written down the names as I went along! I know the names of half of them lol but they are spreading and growing so I can't be far wrong!

Even as a newbie (10 months in) even I know that your tank is overstocked and stocked
way too quickly!

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/04/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Wow....

Lots of fish for a 55g
Old 01/04/2008, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

i hope your fuge produces tons of pods for the mandarin alone. Most of your fish are recommended to be in tanks of 90g or more. Be careful, do research, and chose wisely.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

ok i guess i will do that. thx guys
Old 01/05/2008, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Remove a few is more like it. Also get a refugium or lose the mandrine. A reef tank is for coral. We use fish for controll. The yellow tang alone maybe fine for awile and great aglea eaters. But you want a few canivores and a few omnivores and sand sifters for SB conditions besides some visual looks. But overstocking is bad for the coral. Coral reliy on good water quality as most fish can live in conditions coral never would.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Remove a few is more like it. Also get a refugium or lose the mandrine. A reef tank is for coral. We use fish for controll. The yellow tang alone maybe fine for awile and great aglea eaters. But you want a few canivores and a few omnivores and sand sifters for SB conditions besides some visual looks. But overstocking is bad for the coral. Coral reliy on good water quality as most fish can live in conditions coral never would.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

you should research you re animals BEFORE YOU BUY..get rid of tangs.. IT IS YOU RE RESPONSIBILTY AS AN ANIMAL CARE GIVER TO RESEARCH THE CARE REQUIREMENTS OF THE ANIMALS...would you put 10 dogs in a tiny cage lock them in there and clean out half their poop.. why are you doing that to fish...i doubt you re nitrate reading is 0...i doubt any of you re readings are 0. frankly i m just tired of seeing irresponsible aquarists who try to wow people instead looking out for the animals...
Old 01/05/2008, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...3#post11525203

this is the future of you're tank. you can correct it.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

my yellow is 2 1/2 not 3 1.2 sorry.

i have a refugium and i know i got a lot of pods cuz i put 2 bottles of it lolz.

and im not kiddin...my readings are zero. b4 i started my tank i got 2 books on SW fishs. im a newbie to this hobby but i got freinds from LFS that take cares of me. so i dont think you are using the word irresponsible aquarist correctly.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

none of my fish got ich and for the past 2 months none of my fish died.but only few my snails because my hermit crabs got high class of taste.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

how old are ya?
Old 01/09/2008, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

Donald, it's only been six months: avoid temptation to add anything more and be prepared to pull out some of your fish (as suggested above) as they continue to grow in size. It sounds like you are taking good care of your set-up, except for the fact that you did not adequately account for the maximum growth sizes of the fish you put in there (regardless of what your LFS friends said). I would recommend that you put the current and maximum reported sizes for each fish next to your list so as to get an idea of what to expect and make adjustments to reduce the risk of future problems. Compare your list with those of other members with 55g tanks, as well as get their feedback on what you have.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Bottles of pods are not meant to feed your Mandarin. They are meant to start pod populations or boost lacking populations. You may get 200-500 pods in a bottle of pods. A Mandarin eats a pod every 5 seconds while it is awake and active.............do the math. If a Mandarin were awake 24h a day, it could consume 17,000 pods per day.

Can you see pods crawling on the glass, sand and rocks? If you have to look more than a few seconds to spot a pod, you don't have anywhere close to enough to keep a Mandarin.

The Tangs are a concern but the Mandarin is a much bigger concern since it could literally starve to death.

I am a Mandarin keeper and planned my system for a Mandarin. He never searches more than 3 seconds before eating a pod.

Also, your 6 line wrasse is a direct competitor for pods.

Quote:
Originally posted by donald_202
my yellow is 2 1/2 not 3 1.2 sorry.

i have a refugium and i know i got a lot of pods cuz i put 2 bottles of it lolz.

and im not kiddin...my readings are zero. b4 i started my tank i got 2 books on SW fishs. im a newbie to this hobby but i got freinds from LFS that take cares of me. so i dont think you are using the word irresponsible aquarist correctly.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

i've heard your only supposed to have .4" of fish per gallon @ their max size, is this true?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

Irresponseable reef keeping is in perfect order. The fish will grow and need to eat . The load from waste and uneatin food will only get worse and fish will stress from lack of prime realistate.The fact you havent got ick doesnt mean anything but luck.Some fish may have infectuos deseases that may only appear after there very stressed. A 6 month tank is no reason to believe you can do what other dont and shouldnt.

You have a eco sensitive piece of a complex reef system that only within the last 10 yrs or so has been considered a hobby that almost anybody can do but there are ways to do it.

Most if not almost all the fish and coral you have or get would have been taken right from the ocean and we have a responsablity to care for them the best we can. Sounds like you like the hobby alot and seem to really enjoy it.So i would just get another tank and seperate reef safe fish with FO fish or remove FO fish and ungrade to a lrger tank so you could have more stock.

And as for stock seems you just through in a bunch of standered fish and didnt do much research. Well there are many unique fish that are less known about and the fact you have and observe them daily could help with there place in the hobby. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3319&subref=AB

So slow down as a reef tank means coral and the fish we add are more for alge , SB controll as well as a little visual affect.