Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Emergency Power

Do any of you out there in the reef have any links to good threads about emergency backup power? Or do you have any critical bits of advice? I just setup a 140 gallon reef and I have a couple smaller tanks as well. I would like to setup an emergency plan. What do you folks do to make sure the next ice storm won't take out your entire tank?

Thanks
Old 12/23/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

If your worried about ice storms forget the batter backups. They will never last long enough. You can get a good 750 watt gas generator for about $150 which is good enough to run some of the pumps, light ect randomly.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Speaking of.......I just went and bought a 2500 watt generator from a guy no less than 2 hours ago for this very reason. Used twice, looks brand new and cranks on 1 pull.

I'm not so much worried about lighting if the powers only going to be out a day or so, but I got it to push my pump, skimmers etc. I could push all them without even scatching the surface of what the generator can do, so I can run some lamps, a tv and assorted other household items as well.

Best $175 I ever spent.

It's amazing, spending 300 bucks on a plastic skimmer that basically bubbles water, but spent half that on something that can power most of my house in an emergency.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runfrumu

It's amazing, spending 300 bucks on a plastic skimmer that basically bubbles water, but spent half that on something that can power most of my house in an emergency.
GOOD POINT
Old 12/23/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. The more I think about it it seems that the generator is a solid choice for a long term power outage. Runfrumu has a great point about what we spend on the whole system vs our emergency plan. I think it might also be a good idea to invest in some kind of fuel storage container as well. I was also thinking that it might be a good idea to have some extra pumps or powerheads that don't pull quite as much power as the regular system.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

We spend thousands making sure our tanks are in pristine condition, yet, if the power goes out, most of the stuff is useless and our tanks would quickly be finished.

175 bucks is nothing when you look at the cost to replace all the inhabitants of your tank.

I wonder how many were prepared in that big ice-storm out west? I know some places were out of power for close to a week. That 800 dollar skimmer and 300 pumps arent worth a whole lot then.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Btw, I was reading something about generators making "dirty" power as opposed to the power usually coming in as "clean" power. They said it's best not to run things with mirco-processors on generators. So Im thinking that running my lights, which have electronic ballast, wouldnt be a good idea.

If someone knows more about this please explain.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

if you combine a generator with a inline battery backup designed for computers, it should "clean up" the power. a good battery backup converts the incoming power to the battery, then converts it back to 110v, and is designed to run computers and such. they get kind of expensive so the other option (and free) is as follows:

Generator power is worst during load changes, so as you plug/unplug accessories you get the biggest power fluctuations. Therefore make sure that the most simple things get plugged in first, cheap pumps first, then your main return pump, then finally your lights. never plug your power strip into the generator and just flip the switch. always unplug everything from the power strip, get power strip powered up, and plug things back in one by one allowing the generator to adjust for a few seconds each time. the other thing is making sure there is enough gas in the generator, as the generator runs out of gas and the rpm's of the motor fluctuate the most.

Last edited by matt_54351; 12/24/2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt_54351
if you combine a generator with a inline battery backup designed for computers, it should "clean up" the power. a good battery backup converts the incoming power to the battery, then converts it back to 110v, and is designed to run computers and such. they get kind of expensive so the other option (and free) is as follows:

Generator power is worst during load changes, so as you plug/unplug accessories you get the biggest power fluctuations. Therefore make sure that the most simple things get plugged in first, cheap pumps first, then your main return pump, then finally your lights. never plug your power strip into the generator and just flip the switch. always unplug everything from the power strip, get power strip powered up, and plug things back in one by one allowing the generator to adjust for a few seconds each time. the other thing is making sure there is enough gas in the generator, as the generator runs out of gas and the rpm's of the motor fluctuate the most.
Good point...........I'm sold! I am getting a generator.

Just a side note though...........I do have a good sized battery backup for the take up pumps for the sump and fuge. They worked perfectly through a 2 hour power outage a few months back. The secret is to put only the absolutely critical devices on it. A heater will sap the battery pretty quick.
Old 12/24/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

I agree with both options. A battier-backup for water circulation that automatically comes on when the power goes out and switching to a generator if it takes longer for the power to come on.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

most battery backups for computers do simulated sine waves, basically an on-off pattern that crushes the motors on pumps. not good for constant "conditioning" of the power.

true sine wave inverters are really expensive.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:55 PM
ummmmmm yeah

If this is just for backup I would not worry about running lights. Also the problem with generators like the briggs stration, Hondas etc you have to be there to start them and switch the power over. The best option is to a small whole house that runs off of LP or natural gas. These will turn o and switch over the circuits on it automaticly. But this can get costy, but then again so can freezing to death and re-stocking a whole large reef tank. HTH tim
Old 12/25/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for this very useful info. I am working on a plan for some minimal battery backup to keep things going until I can get the generator on.

I like the idea of the automatic natural gas generator but the cost is the issue for sure. They start at 2500 and I imagine they cost a fortune to install. I still plan on it one day. With the way the weather is going something like that could be mighty nice.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

You can get an electrician to wire your generator to your electrical panel. Of course, you'll have to unplug everything and plug it in 1 at a time when you crank it up.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:09 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Runfrumu
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!
Old 12/25/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GuySmilie
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!
I'm picturing the guy in your av saying that lol
Old 12/25/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drstupid
most battery backups for computers do simulated sine waves, basically an on-off pattern that crushes the motors on pumps. not good for constant "conditioning" of the power.

true sine wave inverters are really expensive.
I agree with DrStupid!!! (can't believe I just said that with a straight face). The battery backups are not for "conditioning", they are for emergency power only.

Generators are a great idea though. Although I can't seem to locate any for $175., I have my eye on a nice $399. model at Costco! Probably worth every penny!
Old 12/25/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KyleO
I agree with DrStupid!!! (can't believe I just said that with a straight face). The battery backups are not for "conditioning", they are for emergency power only.

Generators are a great idea though. Although I can't seem to locate any for $175., I have my eye on a nice $399. model at Costco! Probably worth every penny!

I got mine off a buddy I have bought a few old rifles from. He got it 2 years back when we had an icestorm and has used it twice. He kept it covered in a building, with a sheet over it. Changed the oil and still had all the manuals.

He is wanting to getting a bigger one so he sold me his cheap.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

The better ups models have a true sine wave that won't hurt a pump.
I got an apc 1500 from work. They run around a grand, and it only ran my koralia 3 for a little over 3 hrs.
I think a battery powered air pump that comes on automatically, and a generator is the way to go.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I was forced to buy a generator about three weeks ago when we had a devastating ice storm here in Missouri. I went 6 days without power, not to mention the damaged caused to the house and other structures by falling trees. I got a 6800 watt generator for 800 bucks and it is the best piece of mind you can have. It saved my reef and kept us warm as well as lights and TV.

I just had to wire everything mostly with extension cords since it was an emergency situation but I plan on pouring a pad and mounting the generator to it and having an electrician wire my panel with a switch so everything will already be wired. All I have to do is push the start button on the generator and flip the switch on the electric panel.

It has always been I am going to get a generator next year just in case,,, the next year it would be, I am going to get a generator next year just in case.... next thing you know the "just in case was here" and I was not ready. Luckily the 16 hours until I got a generator and had it wired did not do any damage to my critters.

One more thing. Don't think you can wait until an outage and run to Lowe's for a generator, by the time you get there they are gone. It was cut throat getting what I got and I had to wait for a semi truck to bring in 100 generators that were gone in less than ten minutes. Thousands were waiting for what I got and I thought there could of been a riot.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

That is a wise story deuce6371. It reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife. I was watching news coverage about the recent ice storms and I turned to her and said that the reef keepers in the areas hit must have been hating life. She said "are you kidding? The real reef keepers have lights and TV because they have generators".
Old 12/29/2007, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

I was in the same situation as Deuce. We got hit (Tulsa, OK)with an ice storm on Dec. 9th and were without electricity for a week and water for 2 days. I got on a waiting list for a generator at Sears on Monday and was able to get one on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, our house is totally electric and the temps. in the house dipped into the 50's, so by the time we got the generator up & running most of the critters in the reef tank were history.

Needless to say, a generator is a small investment compared to what can be lost in our tanks. I learned the hard way!
Old 12/29/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

We got nailed by a 6 day outage in the middle of the summer, caused by a nearby tornado. I had my 3500 watt gen running the whole house minus the AC. Ran the tank, lights and all. Went thru about $400 in gas, but man was it worth it. I think the gen was like $250 at pep boys, they have some really good sales on them there.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Any suggestions for those that really can't get a generator (in a condo so I'm thinking the neighbors won't like the noise)?
Old 12/29/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaintGuru
Any suggestions for those that really can't get a generator (in a condo so I'm thinking the neighbors won't like the noise)?
Tell the neighbors if there is ever a major poweroutage they can use at as well for emergencys I don't think they would mind.