Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

looking to buy some bristleworms or other detrivores...

Hi all,

I've got a 90 gallon FOWLR tank in Santa Rosa (1 hour north of SF). I've been hunting around -- with no luck so far -- for some sources to boost the detrivore population in my tank. Because I feed my tank heavily (my fish are pigs) I'm trying to find a source for bristleworms, amphipods, etc to take care of cleaning between the rockwork.

Do any of you have extra bristleworms, breeding snails (stomatella varia, etc, etc) you'd be willing to sell?

Thank you very much in advance... hopefully this post is okay for this forum?

Julian
Old 12/14/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

What about Asteria?
Old 12/14/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer, but I have some of them already. I'm mainly looking for tiny things like bristleworms and amphipods to crawl into crevices in the rockwork. The reason I'm looking for them in particular is that I recently re-arranged my rockwork and noticed a build-up of organic matter way deep in and underneath the rocks and figured it would help to add some "hitchhikers" like bristleworms, pods, tiny snails, etc. The rock I currently have has lots of coralline, but little else.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

honestly, i don't think that adding extra is the key. they should populate according to the amount of food/waste that you have available for them.

and, my fish are pigs too, i just regulate how much they eat. my dog is the same way...he'll eat as much as i give him, but he only gets one bowl per day.

Last edited by AlexB650; 12/14/2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

bristleworms hurt if you get pricked. BUt they do get rid of uneaten food, which is always nice.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:17 AM
NaH2O

I would just be patient and wait for the population to reach a level where your regular feedings sustain their numbers
Old 12/15/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

julianp i do remember in the 6th ave. fish store in the city if you buy some bags of salt water plants something you would feed to tangs there would be some bristleworms and some other stuff that would clean your tank cause my friend bought a bag of plants once and he got about 10 bristleworms in it but he killed them all as he thought they were going to kill things in his tank