Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Question Skimmer for 280+ System

Any recommendations on a skimmer for a 280 gallon display tank plus sump? Here allot about different skimmers and the prices are up there so would like to make a good decision from the start. Also internal or external? pro's and con,s Thanks Jimmy
Old 12/07/2007, 07:44 PM
Moved On

The best recirculating skimmer that you can install for your setup is an H&S A250, but it's a hefty $1,900. An excellent in sump is the H&S 250 for $1,600 or the ATi Bubblemaster 250 for $839. Built quality of the H&S skimmer is awesome. You have full control over our skimmer with a recirculating model, but he in sump only models are more plug and play. If you do a direct feed from the overflows to the skimmer for the recirculating models, there's about a 15%-20% better performance than the equivalent in sump only models. Some claim 50% better performance, but that's very optimistic. Most recirculating skimmers can also be installed in sump or outside of the sump. You're smart to want to do it right on the first round as it's going to save you a lot of money in the long run when you don't get frustrated with your purchase that doesn't perform as you expected.

Another great skimmer that can only be installed externally is the Reeflo 250 for around $1,250. Probably the best buy for the larger skimmers. There's Bubblekings, which many consider the best skimmers internationally, but about 50% to 100% more than the H&S skimmers. There's also Deltec, which aren't built as well as the H&S skimmers, but are just a little bit more that the H&S for your size system. Those are off the top of my head. I would go with the H&S if you have the budget for it, otherwise the other proven performer for in sump and less expensive is the Bubblemaster.

Last edited by CruzinKim; 12/07/2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:52 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
The best recirculating skimmer that you can install for your setup is an H&S A250, but it's a hefty $1,900. An excellent in sump is the H&S 250 for $1,600 or the ATi Bubblemaster 250 for $839. Built quality of the H&S skimmer is awesome.
The BEST skimmer he can buy is an H&S???

C'mon, I think thats more of a matter of preference.....

Broad questions like this are very difficult to answer. What you're gonna get is lots of "opinions".

Are you the kind of person who wants the best? Or the best bang for your buck?

Have you read up on the differences between internal and external skimmers?

What is your budget? How much room do you have? What will you keep?
Old 12/07/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I think BEST is all personal opinion

A ER RC-500 would work however what ****es me off about my RC-500 (older GenX version) is that now that both pumps died on me it looks like $700-750 for 3 new eheim pumps from ER. I think that is outrageous however some of the european skimmers a single pump by itself can be $400+ each!!

If I was looking for a new skimmer for a 150g+ tank I would look no farther then the ReefFlo skimmers which use a Dart NW pump to do the work. For about $200 you can get a replacement pump which is a fraction of the cost of any similar size/tank rated skimmer.

It's also made in the states vs some of the very well built european stuff

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=reefflo

After having to replace the pumps on my ER skimmer twice (1st time was not due to a failing product) I now look at replacement pump prices as part of my skimmer buying equation
Old 12/07/2007, 08:04 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by viggen
I think BEST is all personal opinion

A ER RC-500 would work however what ****es me off about my RC-500 (older GenX version) is that now that both pumps died on me it looks like $700-750 for 3 new eheim pumps from ER. I think that is outrageous however some of the european skimmers a single pump by itself can be $400+ each!!

If I was looking for a new skimmer for a 150g+ tank I would look no farther then the ReefFlo skimmers which use a Dart NW pump to do the work. For about $200 you can get a replacement pump which is a fraction of the cost of any similar size/tank rated skimmer.

It's also made in the states vs some of the very well built european stuff

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=reefflo

After having to replace the pumps on my ER skimmer twice (1st time was not due to a failing product) I now look at replacement pump prices as part of my skimmer buying equation
Exactly! I like the reeflo's as well. Made in the US of A makes them all that much sweeter!
Old 12/07/2007, 08:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Tell me if I'm wrong i thought the reeflo skimmers are made in china. Imported by coralvue
Old 12/07/2007, 08:11 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
Tell me if I'm wrong i thought the reeflo skimmers are made in china. Imported by coralvue
Victor, you are correct. I have also read that the bodies are made in China. But the pumps are made by an American company.

My mistake
Old 12/20/2007, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

bump
Old 12/21/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

If i had the money ands that size tank. My first 2 choices would be a ATB and the reeflo 250
Old 12/21/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

After doing a little more research I need to retract my reeflo statement. Some state that the Dart actually is NOT a good NW pump & sometimes they can overheat enough to shut down. Also the amount of air they can pull some claim is worse then going with internal pumps.

Thus, I would personally skip the reeflo series & buy a skimmer that uses eheim or sicce & from what I have read the sicce pumps are better??
Old 12/21/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
Victor, you are correct. I have also read that the bodies are made in China. But the pumps are made by an American company.

My mistake
I thought the whole thing was made in China and then shipped over?
Old 12/21/2007, 11:57 AM
RC Sponsor

No I believe only the bodies are made in China
Old 12/21/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Sicci pumps better than Eheim? I don't know about that!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:29 PM
One Good Friend

If you like the bubblemaster 250 for around 850, check out the octo extreme at www.marinesolutionsinc.com as it looks better in design and has the same meshwheel sicce pump's. 10" diameter, large neck, pulls over 90scfh at under 70w. For under 500bux, kinda hard to compete with that if you are looking at an in sump skimmer. If you want an external, then it won't work. Some of the above would work better for that.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
After doing a little more research I need to retract my reeflo statement. Some state that the Dart actually is NOT a good NW pump & sometimes they can overheat enough to shut down. Also the amount of air they can pull some claim is worse then going with internal pumps.

Thus, I would personally skip the reeflo series & buy a skimmer that uses eheim or sicce & from what I have read the sicce pumps are better??
And where did you see this?
Old 12/21/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Not sure which is better eheim or sicce's, it's just some state the sicce can pull in more air

I foget the guys name that has posted all the info. I read it on another reef cite & also some of his posts on here. If you go to the ER forum go to the RC4000 thread, the guy has a few posts in there where he talks about pumps & sizing. Seems to be VERY knowledgible & is in the process of helping some manufacturers release a new pump line that is designed for meshwheel or needlewheel mods. You can grab his name there & possibly do a search on this site for his posts. Unfortunantly I cannot remember what website he talked about the issues people have with the Dart's.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:23 PM
One Good Friend

He's talkin about Haunmeister
Old 12/21/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

The new BK supermarine 200 looks very interesting. Adjustable water and air intake. Price looks to be fairly reasonable also based on the known price for its big brother...the Supermarine 250. A SM200 would skim a tank that size nicely.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:12 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by curthendrix
The new BK supermarine 200 looks very interesting. Adjustable water and air intake. Price looks to be fairly reasonable also based on the known price for its big brother...the Supermarine 250. A SM200 would skim a tank that size nicely.
but really, you're paying all of that cash for a 12" tall reaction chamber
Old 12/21/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I would think the bubble plate combined with 1500 li/h air intake is going to make up for the short reaction chamber.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:30 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by curthendrix
I would think the bubble plate combined with 1500 li/h air intake is going to make up for the short reaction chamber.
but is that really worth the cash????

the new Xtreme 250 has a bubbleplate and is at 2400+ lph....and it's less than $500

The reaction chamber is much taller too
Old 12/21/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I would like to know were you are pulling this info from. The dart pulls massive air and it can easily handle it because of the valute size. There is no over heating of the dart pump ever reported. I have had my Reeflo 200 on my tank for 3 days and it has not made my tank temp go up 1 degree and it is cold to the touch. My Dart that runs my return is warm to the touch.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I think I read that one Dart pump has failed with the needle wheel but this could happen just as easily with an impeller.This is all speculation at this point because the air disipates some of the water volume so it might cause it to heat up as there is not enough water to cool it.Untill we start reading about the pumps over heating and failing on a regular basis I would not believe it as some of the 250 Reefflo's have been running for some time now.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:25 PM
One Good Friend

I haven't heard any complaints about the reeflo yet, seems to me like a monster at 90scfh. But the octo 250 extreme is suposet to pull over that.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:39 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
I haven't heard any complaints about the reeflo yet, seems to me like a monster at 90scfh. But the octo 250 extreme is suposet to pull over that.
And do it with fewer watts

Really, a Dart is NOT going to be the best NW pump out there....for the size of the volute on that it "should
be able to pull 150SCFH. A Laguna 2400 will pull more air for less watts than a dart...people just seem to find any old bandwagon to jump on...even skimmer mfr's! I think that most mfr's are just throwing new skimmers onto the market to meet the newest fad we've created without even putting much research into their designs these days.