Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Is the mystery wrasse really that mean?

Thinking about getting one but wondering if it can get along with the rest of my fish.3 wrasses in tank at the time.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

My mystery is a very nice fish - it is my 4-line that is the mean one.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Don't kid yourself. It is only a matter of time before the mysteri takes out another fish, unless you have a relatvely aggressive tank (or the myteri was one of the last ones to go in). Once they become established you can almost give up on adding any more fairy wrasses, even larger ones are a gamble. Just do a search here on RC for "mystery wrasse kill" and I am sure that you will get more than your fair share of threads about them killing everything from lineatus to radiant wrasses and I think I recalled one that took down a trigger too, but I cannot be 100% sure.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
Don't kid yourself. It is only a matter of time before the mysteri takes out another fish, unless you have a relatvely aggressive tank (or the myteri was one of the last ones to go in). Once they become established you can almost give up on adding any more fairy wrasses, even larger ones are a gamble. Just do a search here on RC for "mystery wrasse kill" and I am sure that you will get more than your fair share of threads about them killing everything from lineatus to radiant wrasses and I think I recalled one that took down a trigger too, but I cannot be 100% sure.
what "SEARCH" are you talking bout?

Oh this one...

Quote:
ReefCentral Search Results
Sorry. The search function has been temporarily disabled due to high server load. Please try your search again in a few minutes. Other site features will still be functional.

Check out our Premium Membership Program for higher priority access to the search engine as well as other nice features.

Tips & Trivia:
Want a cool Reef Central logo tshirt? You can find a collection of RC logo merchandise by clicking this link.

IT Would be nice if the search worked... i got to check out that "Premium Membership Program" deal

NOTE: Please forgive my spelling....lol, its the thought that counts right?
Old 11/27/2007, 07:17 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Some can be meaner than a 6line, the bigger it gets and the more established it is any new wrasse or like types will be fair game.

" Charles V "
Old 11/28/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScarabRa
what "SEARCH" are you talking bout?

Oh this one...

IT Would be nice if the search worked

It just about always works for me (and everyone else with an "I Support RC" logo under their avatar)

Or you can always go the other route and use google to search RC.
Old 11/28/2007, 01:56 PM
Tailspot Blenny

google to search any site is sometimes even better than the site's search.

SEARCHQUERY site:reefcentral.com

works wonders.

BTW I just did a search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=myste...ient=firefox-a

Nothing really came up about the mystery wrasse killing anything off the top of the list. Maybe down below.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Will they kill other wrasses or are will they bully around anything in the tank? What is the extent of their aggression?
Old 11/28/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

I've have both a large mystery and and a Leopard wrasse that have been doing fine in the same tank for over a year. Given both were added at around the same time, and the mystery was close in size when added.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

To answer your question, yes they are aggressive. However you can get aways with placing other wrasse safely in the tank. Just make sure the new wrasse is acclimated and eating before you think about placing it in the tank together with the mystery.

What I did was place my new wrasse in a net box, inside the main tank for 2 days while the mystery is swimming outside. Make sure to feed the new wrasse. Once I release the new wrasse, the mystery wrass would chase the new wrasse around for about 5 minutes. After that, no more chasing and they are both living peacefully. By the way, this is in a 65 gallon tank with 3 other fish. Good Luck

I can't say the same for shrimps.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

looks like a 6line is just as bad. is this true with 8line too?
Old 11/29/2007, 08:29 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Me personally, I just don't trust that genus anymore or similar type fish. mystery, 4line, 6line, 8 line yadayada

" Charles V "
Old 11/29/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

i've lost at least 6 fishes due to my mystery wrasse. My kid even caught him red handed chasing and chomping on a smaller fish. i just can't get rid of the fish though, he's so purdy
Old 11/29/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Just throw him in the tank last, mine already ate 5 cleaner shrimps the size of him. Leaving nothing but the body, the head was no where to be found.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waxy
Just throw him in the tank last, mine already ate 5 cleaner shrimps the size of him. Leaving nothing but the body, the head was no where to be found.
Don't you just love that. I find that overfeeding the mystery helps keep the shrimp alive a few extra days.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:25 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I had to move mine, to be able to keep Lineatus wrasses.

" Charles V "
Old 12/08/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Mine will kill any new wrasse I try to put in the tank. They are VERY aggressive towards new wrasses, but pay no attention to current inhabitants of the tank.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

killed my cleaners
Old 12/09/2007, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

Guess I won't get one since I like my cleaners
Old 12/11/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nashorn
Guess I won't get one since I like my cleaners
HAHAHA!

Want to buy mine? Hes really big now, since ive had him at 2.5" He measures 4-4.5" I ll trade him for a 1-2" Hes very friendly, just eats what he can when hes hungry. Eats pellets, sometimes seaweed... I dont know why... and his main diet Brine Shrimp. My sohal and royal punk him around a lot.

What say you?

Ive been wanting to get rid of him and getting a smaller one. After eating the shrimp hes grown since.

Im not sure if this is accurate or not, but I feel that the wrasse is eating away me cleaners too.

Can anyone confirm this? My snail population has drastically dropped. A few weeks ago, when I go downstairs at night I would see my tank covered with snails, now I just see the wrasse patrolling corner to corner for a fine meal.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

wouldn't put it past him... you can go to Taraval, they have small mysterys for sale starting at $100.. and just trade them.. plus might get some $$$$ for it ???

" Charles V "
Old 12/11/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

You think they will let me trade my large one in for a smaller one? As I am sure the smaller ones will not eat my cleaner shrimps, especially when the wrasse is being introduced like a newborn.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Where is this Taraval you speak of? Store? Individual? Im confuse! :x
Old 12/11/2007, 07:23 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Store... I've gotten my previous mystery from them, I was just there yesterday.. they have 2 or so... they also have a pair of Rhomboid, Lineatus, and a couple of nice wrasses... its name was tropical XXXXXXX can't remember the full name..

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

Where is it located? And wow, a Rhomboid Wrasse I will have to sacrifice a car payment to buy one of those.

How much were those rhomboids there?

Will it fight with the mystery you think? I am totally sure it will.

$499 best price I have seen on a rhomboid.

Maybe I should get one of those instead of a mystery.