Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/24/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Hippocampus Capensis

Hello,

I am new to Reef Central and I have a question. I am in the process of setting up a H. Capensis tank, and I know that Ocean Rider sells Capensis, but does anyone know anyone else online, or a private breeder that has them available??

Thank You!
Old 07/24/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I'm trying to find out, too. I set my tank up for temperate seahorses earlier this year, and as soon as it was ready, most temperate seahorses became unavailable in the US.

I thought about buying from Ocean Rider, but they claim that you can keep your caps at 70 or 72 degrees. Bull*!!! These guys would get vibrio in a second if you kept them that hot. They are temperate.

I shot them an email asking what temps they really keep them at, but they never emailed me back, and that was over a month ago. If you do order from them, keep us updated! Maybe YOU can start breeding them.
Old 07/24/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Hippocampus Capensis

Yes, they do say that they are able to keep them at 70-72F and that is what my tank is at. I am new to seahorses but i do believe that as long as it does not get hotter that 74-75F for long periods of time, they will do just fine. I have emailed them at Ocean Rider also, weeks ago and I never recieved a response but I have been in contact with Pete G. for some time now. I would love to breed H. Capesis and my LFS said they could order some for me but Pete was wary that they would be the real thing. I will have to talk to my LFS tomorrow and do some investigatting to see if they are the real thing.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:21 AM
I am Nano

No Tbar.

H. capensis is a temperate species, and needs to go no higher than 68*F. I kept mine at about 70*F and I had one die from an infection brought on by high temperatures. Ocean Rider is full of crap.
Old 07/26/2007, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

I remember that, Brock. I'm sorry that happened to you, but now you can say from experience that Caps need lower temps. Even with most of the greatest SH minds in the world helping, poor Brock couldn't save his little Cap.

The public aquariums that we know of keeping caps keep them way below 68* even. Low 60's is ideal.

Tbar, if you can keep your tank at 69-70, you could keep whitei, which is a "subtropical" SH. if you can get it lower than 69, you could keep breviceps.

Don't let us scare you, though. If you do decide to get those caps, please keep us updated no matter what the outcome is. It's important in the world of syngnathids to report our successes and failures.
Old 07/26/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Hippocampus Capensis

Ok, will do. Thank you for your replies.
Old 07/26/2007, 05:37 PM
I am Nano

Everybody helped me so much...someone even sent me a chiller free of charge.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Hello all,
I just got my seahorse tank setup and I'll be ready to get my first seahorses soon enough.

I was going to start off with H.Erectus as my first seahorse until last night I read an excellent article from Anthony Calfo specifically on breeding hippocampus capensis. He says they should be kept between 65-70 F in the article.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:30 PM
I am Nano

I know that Anthony is very well respected, and knowledgable, but I disagree, from personal experience.

65*F would be the highest i'd keep them. 63-64*F would be optimal IMO.
Old 07/27/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Brock.

What are soom good seagrass to keep in with my seahorses?

Thanks
Old 07/27/2007, 03:50 PM
I am Nano

Well, a lot of seagrasses require a very well aged, DSB of about 4-5 inches minimum.

I like stargrass, turtle grass, and manatee grass. What seahorses are you talking about reefbox?
Old 07/27/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brock Fluharty
I know that Anthony is very well respected, and knowledgable, but I disagree, from personal experience.

65*F would be the highest i'd keep them. 63-64*F would be optimal IMO.
I agree with Brock on this one, based on my experiences with the pairs of capensis I had. I'd go no higher than 68F - even for a few hours or days. Trust me, these seahorses need a chiller.

Tom
Old 07/28/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

these are not temperate seahorses, they are cold.

I think it is absolutly irresponsible of anyone to state the temps that the or web site duz.

Cheers David
Old 07/28/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I think I'm going to give the Hippocampus Capensis "Cape seahorse) a try.

My basement is nice and cool all year round, if I do need a chiller it won't be till next summer.

The article says that the African cape seahorse spawns during the warmer summer months when the temp goes to 68 F or higher.
Old 07/28/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Can I ask what article by Anthony you keep citing? And if possible get a link, or at least get the date it was published and in what journal/magazine?

Please keep them cooler than 68 degrees. 68 is the peak of warmth for the waters they live in, and they are more than able to get to cooler waters during this time. Not to mention, when stressed at high temps, the estuary water dillutes the bacteria that could prey on the weakened immune systems. You don't have that luxury in a closed aquarium. If its the cost of a chiller you are worried about, then consider the cost and time that will go into buying medications and equipment for treating vibrio and tubefeeding the individual seahorses when they go off eating.
Old 07/28/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

It is in his "C the journal" that was published in 06.It is in his very first issue. It is in volume 1 number 1 P. 37. I just got my subscription and I found that article very informative and a great help to setting up a seahorse tank.

The article has 6 full pages on The African Cape Seahorse and breeding them.

C the journal
Old 07/28/2007, 03:22 PM
I am Nano

I've never heard them called the "African cape seahorse". Only Knysna and Zulu Lulu.
Old 07/28/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Hippocampus Capensis

Thanks for all of your help you guys.

I think I am going to go with dwarf seahorse but I am not sure yet. I will keep you posted.
Old 08/01/2007, 10:26 PM
Parapterois heterura

FWIW... I am as strict with my husbandry and I promote. My colony was kept with chillers... and spawned at these temps for years actually. Ironically, I will be in South Africa this month (capensis are endemic to SA) and will be making more field observations for this and other species. Their natural temps are actually much higher and much lower than hobbyists promote. I assure you, my friends... that the perceived benefits in the difference between 64 and 68 is nothing compared to simply having stability at either temp (again... the range in the wild is much wider and wilder).

Do focus on such stability and take the middle road on the consensus for recommended temps among active capensis keepers. You'll be safe then, no worries
Old 08/02/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Anthony. We would be appreciative if you'd report your findings upon your return here in the seahorse forum. I am a big fan of yours, and a fellow Pennsylvanian

We seahorse people are finding that the temperatures they endure in the wild are not necessarily healthy for them long-term in home aquariums. In the average aquarist's tank, conditions favor the growth of diseases such as Vibrio.

I think you are right--in a dedicated breeding system with your strict and dedicated husbandry, perhaps it was easier to keep this disease at bay at the higher temps.