Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/11/2007, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

clowns showing larger regions of dark spots, missing scales

Both of my clown fish (2 false percs) seem to have some sort of infection or parasite. I tried to take pictures tonight, but they came out lousy. I will re shoot some pictures tomorrow.

Both clowns have some small dark spots on their main bodies. There are some small areas where it looks like 1-2 scales are missing, but nothing gross at this moment.

On the top of the fish just infront of the top fin, there are larger dark spots that comprise a region of ~ 2.5mm - 4mm in diameter. I have noticed that they sort of host in a ricordia, but only the bottom portion of the fish ever touches it.

From what i've researched this evening it does not look like black ich and I'm kind of at a loss.

At the moment I don't have a QT set up, but I will be purchacing a 10 gallon tank tomoorw and will be setting it up with some air stones. Since I won't be able to let the tank cycle too long, should I add a small % of the tank water or just go right into QT?

I do have pleanty of RO/DI to do a FW dip. I'd really like to save the fish if I can.

Right now none of my other fish are showing any signs of black spots. (Watchman goby, bangaii cardinal, potters angle, or cromis)

thanks in advance

FroMan
Old 06/12/2007, 08:56 AM
I May be Ich Free

stings from the anemone?
Old 06/15/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

I don't have an anenome in my tank...

Here are a two pictures of my clowns that have the strange dark markings on them. They do not seem to be getting worse at this moment.

I did notice that one of them had some stringy excrament (fish in the bottom picture). At this point the LFS are closed for the evening. I will try to hit one of them up tomorrow for some treatments, but I'm not sure what to get yet. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

FroMan

Old 06/15/2007, 08:09 PM
old enough to know better

My 02

I don't see anything obvious in the top pic with the two circles. The bottom pic with one circle shows a problem which might be an abrasion or something else.

Adding show tank water to the Qt doesn't do anything as far as cycling the tank ... the beneficial bacteria your looking for really don't live in the water column. If you transfer some of your filter media from your ST to the QT filter that will provide some benefit ... in either case you should make up a large batch of replacement water to allow you to make numerous water changes to keep ammonia levels at zero.

I am unsure what problem your fish has ... what appears to be an abrasion issue to me might be helped with a simple addition of an antibiotic to the QT (maracyn 2 is often readily available)

Stringy poop may be simple diarrhea or a sign of internal parasites .. neither is life threatening and would not be high on my priority list. Heres a good link which discusses some of the popular diseases including internal parasites ... should help.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...hdiseases.html