Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/22/2006, 02:54 PM
Reef Chemist

help, my longhorned cowfish is starving

I've had this long horned cowfish for 2 years now. It is in a 120 gallon tank. In that time it has grown tremendously, and has always eaten like a pig. No other fish bother it.

In the last few weeks, however, it has largely stopped eating its favorite foods. It still swims up to the food, and mouths it, like he is trying to eat, but often takes in little or nothing. Not algae sheets, not flake food, not frozen foods.

It is clearly starving, with badly shrunken sides now.
Maybe it has some sort of mouth problem, or maybe its dietary needs have changed>

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09/22/2006, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Randy,

I have read that they, along with puffers, can go on unexplained hunger strikes. Have you tried going back to live foods --- bloodworms, live brine or chopped shellfish? I know thats what they use to entice them to eat in the first place.

Is he bumping into things? Generally lethargic? Have you added any new fish to the tank?
Old 09/22/2006, 03:27 PM
Who's your daddy

mine has done that before but for only a week hes only done it once in 4 years it might be a transition to adulthood mine was about 2 years when it happened then he started eating again best of luck
Old 09/22/2006, 06:15 PM
Reef Chemist

Thanks, folks.

No new fish, and he seems about as active as he ever was. I haven't tried any live foods, although I do have some fresh shrimp and crab to try.

mine has done that before but for only a week hes only done it once in 4 years it might be a transition to adulthood mine was about 2 years when it happened then he started eating again best of luck

Did it change appearance during that time?
Old 09/22/2006, 08:50 PM
Who's your daddy

no not that i can remember but i have seen some of them at the lfs that had gottin skinny i never asked if the survived or anything else
Old 09/24/2006, 08:13 AM
Send me email with ?

The cowfish can be a bit of an enigma. They go through stages and phases of development. Having one stop and then start eating is not unusual. It's the ones that stop and never re-start that have piqued my interest in the past. It is correct to look for conditions which might inhibit eating (mouth injury, mouth disease, etc.). Not finding any of noteworthy

Environmental issues come into play, from tankmates, to aquascaping! The addition of a new bit of livestock can also provoke alternate behaviors and stress. And that is a key -- stress. If there is a stress source, a fish will usually stop eating. Providing the environment is proper (and I should think that Randy would be more on top of this, of anyone), it usually comes down to nutritional or disease issues.

I have some set concepts of the nutritional needs of marine fishes and how to properly provide for their needs. This post and its attachment (which is a handy print-out feeding guide) is the foundation of my thoughts on proper nutrition:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine...nutrition.html

Once nutrition has been properly satisfied over a long period of time, the only factor that slips in are the more-or-less 'nature' afflications wild caught fish have, including intestinal worms. Most fish live with them for some time without any negative affect, others succumb to them over either a short or extended period of time. The intestinal worm is just one such disease scenario. For this reason I perform a deworming of all my fish. Some of these wild afflictions gain the upper hand after the fish has been nutritionally deprived of something it needs over a long period of time. Once a nutritional and/or disease stress factor has been ruled out, that leaves the unusual and abnormal, both of which are usually out of the hands of aquarists.

I have found, upon necropsy of hundreds of fishes, that on occasion an internal organ parasite or some chemical, has adversely affected one or more of the fish's internal organs. Not much the aquarist can do for this, other than to maintain the best, poison-free environment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Last edited by EdKruzel; 11/29/2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09/24/2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

i think that a live bloodworm would be my first choice, something that will wriggle and intrigue him, but not escape to quickly so he cant catch it.

other then that i would try soaking the nori in aniseed oil or tuna oil, just like a fisherman would add an oil to their burley to atract and entice fish to be activley eating in the area of their hook.

i dont know how much different this would be to selcon or other more commonly used additives but it may be worth a shot, or you may know more about these products.

the smell of oil usually means food, but the longhorn being a veggie eater too may mean hes less eager to get a meaty treat... i dunno no harm in trying i guess.

ive only owned mine a day so by no means do i know how to look after these guys, just using some common sense.

thanks and good luck mate.

adam
Old 09/24/2006, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

I dont think cowfish are herbivores. They are omnivores and eat a lot of meaty food. Try some fresh seafood from the market- ie- shrimp, clam, squid, etc. As lux said, blackworms are also a good item- many fish can resist them.

Im sure you know this, but be porepared that if he gets stressed or dies, he could release a lot of toxins into the water. Remove any tankmates if any, or remove the cowfish before tragedy strikes.
Old 09/30/2006, 04:33 PM
Reef Chemist

Thanks very much for the suggestions, everyone.

Yes, he eats both meaty foods and algae sheets, at least he used to. He still tries to eat them all, and sometimes succeeds in getting in small bits, but not enough.

I've moved him to his own tank for now, fearing the worst.
Old 09/30/2006, 04:51 PM
Send me email with ?

If there is a mechanical/physical reason for it to not be eating, then there are some of things you might try.

Even if the fish is injured or healing, the addition of liquid vitamins (I'd suggest Vita-Chem) to the water itself to be prudent. Follow directions for adding it to the water.

Second, I'd add a gram negative antibiotic to the water (Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish also contains an appetite stimulant).

Third, I'd add vitamin B-12 to the water. Pre-dissolve the crushed vitamin tablets in marine water, then add that water to the tank prior to a feeding. The rate is 2000 mcg (usually the tablets are in 500 mcg size) for every 20 gallons of saltwater. Do this twice per day about 30 minutes before a feeding attempt.

B-12 is not stable in saltwater. There won't be much of a build up. Do every-other-day water changes. You should consider doing all three at the same time.

Good luck!
Old 10/01/2006, 02:01 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Randy

First I would go with what MJ has said and try some kind of live food to see what the response is. Also, I agree with lee and his treatment but not in a reef tank of 120 gals. This should be done a Q-Tank that is already cycled. However, such a move my make things even worse, it is a gamble but may be better if he still continues not to eat.

There will be a point where it may be to late to Q-T the fish if it does not start eating soon. Such O-T should be bare bottom with a simple filter, no skimmer or GAC which will readily remove these. Such a move is usually best done with removing most of the water in the Q-T and replacing it with the water from the reef tank.

If you do not have a cycled tank one can be quickly set up by using some of the gravel from the reef tank and a piece of LR. You are worried about ammonia build up. 20 gal would be a nice size
Old 10/01/2006, 04:54 PM
Send me email with ?

Boomer. . .It looks like you missed what Randy wrote:
Quote:
I've moved him to his own tank for now, fearing the worst.
That's why I suggested the other actions.

A fish that is picking at its regular food it has been eating, is not disinterested in it. There is a stressor at work.
Old 10/01/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

The cowfish I have worked with that stopped eating loved squid tentacles. Make sure they are slim enough for the fish to eat like spaghetti. It can take a few days for the fish to recognize the food. Sometimes holding it between your fingers and shaking it helps. But these fish were used to being fed that way to begin with.

Good luck.
Old 10/01/2006, 11:03 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Yes lee I missd that part ..moved...

A fish that is picking at its regular food it has been eating, is not disinterested in it.

Yes, but I have seen many fish do this and still not eat anything or much of anything. Dump in some live food and .....poof. However, I think he has something internal going on, also a thought of yours.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 10/01/2006, 11:07 PM
Team RC Member

Yes, my first thought was worms or something internal. I think Lee's right on.

I'm not an expert by no means in this area but if it is worms, wouldnt garlic help with that ?
Old 10/02/2006, 06:18 AM
Send me email with ?

Garlic pieces have been attributed with killing intestinal worms, but with inconsistant results. I'd go with the usual meds for internal parasites.
Old 10/02/2006, 07:34 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by leebca
Garlic pieces have been attributed with killing intestinal worms, but with inconsistant results. I'd go with the usual meds for internal parasites.
Agreed. There is a potentially serious issue involved. The fact that you can actually see sunken sides worries me, seeing as how these fish hardly even show physical signs of starvation. Most die looking perfectly fine (i.e. no shrunken sides). I would definitely lean more toward internal parasites in this instance.
Old 10/16/2006, 09:46 AM
Better Reefer Than You :)

Randy

I just picked up a Cowfish, and I am curious how yours is doing.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 10/16/2006, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Try garlic gaurd or intice both seachem products. I feed my cow spectrum pellets, have you tried krill? There is no sign of disease, like ich?
Old 11/29/2006, 06:29 PM
Reef Chemist

Unfortunately, the cowfish had to be euthanized. He tried but could just not take in food and/or hold it in his mouth any more. No signs of any disease, just seeming lack of mouth control and/or motivation.
Old 11/29/2006, 07:49 PM
Professional Aquarist

Randy,

I am just curious, what was it standard diet prior to the change in behavior?

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/15/2006, 06:33 AM
This is my Passion

Sorry to hear about your cowfish Randy. I fed mine like a puffer..occasional food in a shell, such as cherrystone clams w/ the shell cracked a bit. I know they like a good bit of algae in their diet too. I had to euthanize mine as well, he just started spinning one day. And he was doing so well. I took him is as a rescue from some nice folks that kept him with a blenny that ripped up his tummy.I spoke with a lady at the Tampa Aquarium about his nutritional needs, she told me about giving him shelled food items, but warned about internal parasites being the norm with cowish.