Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/08/2006, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Queen Angel

HI all

I have a 30 oceanic tank for a year now, with just a pair of maroon clown fish. Right now I also have a 90 gallon AGA tank sitting in my basement. Do you guy think i can put just one queen angel in it. My lfs has alot of queen angel around 3 inches. I know 90 gallon is a bit small but the whole tank will only have one queen angel and no other fish in it. I plan on buying the Corallife Super Skimmer 220 gallon and hang it on the back with additional 2 powerheads. I never keep those angel fish before so i just want to ask couple of questions from people that already keep queen anglefish.

1) How hardy are they provided that all water is fine.
2) Do i have to have alot of live rock with algea on it for them to graze?
3) What is the best food to feed them, What do you guys feed your queen angel?
4) How fast do they grow? Would they get around 12 Inches in 3-5 years? When they get that big, i will get them a 180 gallons tank.
5) Do you think the 220 Gallon Skimmer is good enough for it or do i have to have the sump, refug and a bigger skimmer?

I just want to keep it simple for now. that's why i want to go with the hang on the back CSS.

I think that's it for now. If you would share your experiences keeping your angels and equipments in the tank, that would be great.

Thank in advances.
Capt Nemo.
Old 04/08/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

They grow pretty fast and get agressive as they get older. I personally would not put a Queen in a 90 gallon unles you plan on upgrading with in a year. They get very large 15+ in and need a large amount of swimming room. When they are young it is good to have a large amount of established LR for them to graze. At 3 in the Queen is still young and should be feed Angel fomula with sponge. I would also feed it spectrum along with mysis. Basically a mix diet would be best.
Old 04/08/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Well, First let me address the problems I will see even before the fish hits you tank.

1) I don't think 2 powerheads will be enough for a 90 AGA.
2) I would say get 2 6060 tunzes for more water movement.
3) Yes they can be very agressive so i would add them close to last.
4) Acclamate very slowly over a period of a few hours.
5) Plan what other tankmates you would like, other than the Queen just so you know what fish are compatible together.

-- PLAN FIRST BUY LATER --
Old 04/09/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Queen Angel

I had a problem with queen/blue angels. Don't have any bubbles in the tank. For some reason the queen would spend all day chasing the bubbles coming from my return. They would also go on hunger strikes.
It might of been my nitrates which were at about 50. From my experience they just don't seem that strong. I think others here at rc have had better experiences though. They were all in a 200 gallon tank with wet/dry, no live rock.
Old 04/09/2006, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Queen's are very hardy imo, but you better have a huge tank lined up for one. I have a 12" queen which i feel is way to big even for a 210, i'll have to upgrade or find someone with a bigger tank. They have personality, i'm attached to mine. Always hungry. i even stick my hand in the tank and nibbles on me.
Old 04/09/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

You will definately need at least a 6ft long tank! Maybe consider a smaller angelfish for the 90, I have had a Flagfin in a 90 and now a 75 and they dont get as large but are a bit more sensitive, if you have to have a large angel maybe go with a Maculosus or Passer and keep them alone in the tank until they out grow it cause these two are both tough hardier angels, or maybe go with a dwarf species and be able to add other fish. One more thing, I would definately not go with any Tunze 6060's in your tank if its fish only, I had one Tunze 6060 in my 90 and then my 75 and it was WAY to powerful, the powerful flow made the fish horribly stressed out and not swimming or acting naturally, I got rid of it and went with a couple aquaclear powerheads and everyone is happy relaxed and disease free. If you dont have corals that require it, you dont need crazy flow in a FOWLR!
Old 04/10/2006, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

A full grown queen will need 300'ish gallons. At 18" long a queen's needs are something on the order of 30" tank depth (needs to be able to turn around comfortably), 8' length (swim room), and 2-3' height. That is some serious gallonage.

Your fish don't need to constantly be "surfing".....easy on the flow. Especially if you have any lions, boxfish, etc. They need calm way more than any tang or angel "needs" higher flow. Set the tank up so that there is some area with more flow and some area with MUCH less. As long as your filtration turns the water over 7+ times (10+ is best) an hour you should be fine. Stirring the tank w' powerheads is overkill unless you are doing it to keep fug from building up someplace inconvenient.

I know its cool for coral and whatnot to have bigtime light and flow but do we really need 10x T5's + Metal Halides and half a dozen Magdrive 2400 pumps for water movement in a 75 gallon. j/k
Old 04/12/2006, 10:43 PM
Fish Collector

Queens are very hardy, people actually use them to cycle tanks.

Queen angels are ich magnets so you need to be careful when getting one and make sure you QT if very good before placing it in your tank.

Heavy flow and heavy light may work for a reef tank but you should apply the same princple to a FO or Fowlr tank.
Old 04/13/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

never heard of queen's being ich "magnets"
Old 04/13/2006, 01:35 PM
Fish Collector

They sure are ich magnets.
Old 04/13/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marrone
I agree, but once established they are very hardy.. Queens need atleast 240 gallon+ tank imo, i had one in my old 72 for two months after watching it swim and reading more on it i realised what was i thinking of putting this fish in my tank and took it back..
Old 04/13/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marrone
I agree, but once established they are very hardy.. Queens need atleast 240 gallon+ tank imo, i had one in my old 72 for two months after watching it swim and reading more on it i realised what was i thinking of putting this fish in my tank and took it back..