Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2004, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

New Sump

Dear Anthony,

I have a Multi part question! First though I am going to give you some background info. I am about to setup my new tank and I am trying to setup the Filtration and pump. Here is some info about the new tank:

80G main tank (48lx24wx17t)
30G sump three parts in a similar design of the Ecosystem.(30lx17wx20h) I am getting the 30g from the normal level of 14in tall.
Skimmer-->Fuge-->return area. The Fuge area will be about 15g.

Skimmer? Maybe a H&S External Rated 110G?

65lbs of Marshall and misc other live rock

3 250W DE in ROIII pendants and maybe some VHO's

I am thinking of a Ampmaster 3000 for the main pump
I will have about 11ft of head pressure so I should get about 1300gph

CA Reactor

Chiller

This tank will be mostly SPS and clams

My current tank is running without a skimmer but I am unsure that a 15g fuge will be enough to keep up with the bioload of a heavy stock SPS tank?

My questions are as follows:

1) Will a 15G fuge be enough for an 80G tank?
2) Is 1300GPH though the fuge a bad thing?
3) What depth sandbed or should it be bare bottom
4) Sand in a fuge? If so how deep and what size?
5) Do you think a skimmer is a good idea?

Sorry for all the questions I have been reading so much as of late and I have changed my mind about a million times about how I am going to do this tank. All I am looking for here is your opinion I know there is no cure all for a marine tank.

Thanks for all the help,

Keith

PS Welcome! I have always enjoyed your reading your articles!
Old 11/05/2004, 10:23 PM
Parapterois heterura

cheers, Keith

Yikes! I am not sure where to begin here. You have a very long list of questions... and I am struggling with limited personal time
Moreover... my answers would just be another opinion in your information gathering process.

I will try to get back here in time... but in the meanwhile, it will float nicely for other kind folks to share opinions. And you can make a decision based on an intelligent consensus.

And if you are getting overwhelmed... then you are reading into it too much, my friend. It is all really very simple. Decide your exact inventory of livestock first and the rest will fall into place. You will also realize, with all due respect, that the questions you've asked above are unrealistic.

I cannot comment on lighting if I do not know what you will keep.

I cannot say what kind of refugium will serve you best, if I do not know what you are going to keep.

I cannot say skimmer or not without knowing what kind of bio-load you are going to keep and how you intend to address husbandry otherwise.

This is a common mistake, my friend. No worries, again. But you are putting the cart before the horse so to speak. Read on and enjoy the journey rather than fixate on hardware for an undefined list of livestock - the most important part of the display!

Anthony