Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2003, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Question ID help please

Hello,
I set up a 90G tank a couple of weeks ago & have a few things growing on my rock. I bought the rock from someone who was taking down their tank. It had been in their tank for around 4 years. I'm not sure what they are so I thought I'd see if anybody here does.

Anybody know what the thing in the middle is? Is it a polyp coral? Also, what is the yellow stuff? I haven't reached into the tank so I don't know if it's slimey, but there are some "holes" in it which makes me think it's a sponge.

I think this is an anemone. The purple "base" isn't completely attached to the rock & is flapping in the water current (not too much, though). Should I try to attach it to the rock? How would I do that.

Thanks folks!
Old 09/18/2003, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

the top pic look more like an anemone too me... not too sure about it too... as for the yelloww stuff(not sure wad to call it) it's common to find it in LR... as for the "purple base anemone" i think u shld just leave them alone.. seems to be very small to me so no point trying to attach it yet.... IMO
Old 09/18/2003, 10:10 PM
TRC Leader

The first pic looks like a polyp (one from the Palythoa spp family) to me. The yellow at the base is a sponge, the holes you are seeing are their syphons.

The second pic looks like green star polyps. The grow on thick purple matts.
Old 09/18/2003, 10:38 PM
Toadstool pimp

I agree, top appears to be a palythoa. Bottom is def. green star polyps. No need to attach the GSP unless the whole thing is ready to fall off, it will spread out in a mat as tippytow said.
Heres some of my green palythoa (button polyp) and GSP for comparison. Looks quite similar huh? :Both are quite beautiful and fluoresce under actinic lighting.