Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Live Sand In New Ref

Just fiished the transformation (Bio Balls to Ref} Added 3" of live sand i had in a 5 with water and cover. Should i add some live sand from DT to get things going?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

It won't hurt to put sand in that is already established( colonized with bacteria).

Last edited by Percula9; 01/06/2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

If you add bagged live sand to your fuge, be aware that it will probably cause a die-off cycle in your main tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Die off cycle?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Should i take it out will it kill my fish?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

If it's already in, just be ready to check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and have some saltwater ready for a water change if anything looks like it's going wrong.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

The sand i added i had for about 2 months its from my main. been in a bucket with water from main. You mean, my tank might cycle all over again? i go 30gal on deck, was going to do water change tomorrow, should i wait? Thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought you were adding uncured live sand into a new system. If it's already been there, it's fine.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

I doubt your tank will cycle again. I don't know how much sand you added from your display. But if you added it directly without a period of inactivity there should be more then enough bacteria to handle any possible die off.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Well, if something does go wrong, should ikeep doing water changes? the sand has been in a bucket for two months.and keep checking ammonia? will water changes save my fish if tank crashes? Sorry just a little nervous.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vito is hooked
Well, if something does go wrong, should ikeep doing water changes? the sand has been in a bucket for two months.and keep checking ammonia? will water changes save my fish if tank crashes? Sorry just a little nervous.
just keep checking your ammonia and nitrates--if you get a small spike then do a water change then.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

The sand that was in a bucket, did it come from your display?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

I will test twice a day Thanks Cap and yes the sand that was in the bucket did come from the main it had about 3 inches of water above that was clean once i moved it around all the bacterier dirtyed it up sifted it put it in with live rock from main and chaeto.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

as a suggestion Vito==next time if your going to clean the substrate then you might as well clean it good--you've disturbed the surface bacteria and dislodged possible nitrates already so you might as well clean it good.

keep us posted how it goes
Old 01/07/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

So far so good. Ammonia 0 Trites 0 Trates 20 Going to do water change tomorrow 15 gal. Is it a good idea to vaccume half your substrate every couple of weeks? THANKS.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
So far so good. Ammonia 0 Trites 0 Trates 20 Going to do water change tomorrow 15 gal. Is it a good idea to vaccume half your substrate every couple of weeks? THANKS.
No
don't vacuum the substrate--you disturb the good bacteria. Once a week take a turkey baster and lightly baste all the rock and very lightly baste the substrate.
You have also direct a power head so you have a good current across the substrate---not enought to cause a snow storm but just enough to carry away detrius back up into the water column where it can be fitered out.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Aii right, Gotcha. Gonna do a little rearrangeing. Thanks. Ammonia went to .025 water change back to 0, Water is crystal clear, no more micro bubbles. Meantime watching water Parms! I still have a few more handfulls of Bio Balls to take out when there all gone should i put my skimmer in the firs chameber or the last?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Aii right, Gotcha. Gonna do a little rearrangeing. Thanks. Ammonia went to .025 water change back to 0, Water is crystal clear, no more micro bubbles. Meantime watching water Parms! I still have a few more handfulls of Bio Balls to take out when there all gone should i put my skimmer in the firs chameber or the last?
can you post a pic of your sump---the water should be skimmed before the refugium.. in my case I have filter sock, then the pump for the skimmer and finally a live rock chamber where the line from my fuge comes in,

Old 01/09/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

OK, lets see if i got this. The two overflows on the outside, one in the ref the other in the sock, overflow from ref back into return?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
OK, lets see if i got this. The two overflows on the outside, one in the ref the other in the sock, overflow from ref back into return?
thats right---acutually one overflow from the tank--teed into two each with valves to control the flow separtely. gravity feed from refug to sump. a 3600mag return pump
Old 01/11/2008, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

I think i got a handle on it now. Thanks for ALL your help, YOU the man CAP!