Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

GRIM need your help for Analysis Paralysis - I have a new prop tank I'm setting up, mainly for zoo's/palys, mushrooms, xenia and other softies, maybe some SPS if your lighting suggestion will suffice. My tank is 30"Lx18"Hx12"D. I don't want to buy a chiller and so I'm looking for a T5 setup. I'm looking for a light setup to give great growth to the corals and coloration as well. I'm on a budget I've seen ready to go setups for sunlightsupply for $120 to icecap retros for $280.

1) should I use 24" 24w bulbs and stagger them or go with 36" 39w bulbs.
2) is there a retrofit setup or kit that you recommend, I'll pay for better quality if there is a reasonable difference.

Grim help me choose this setup, bulbs everything and if you recommend an online vendor to purchase.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:51 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Txcowboy22
Grimm, I just ordered my nova extreme pro and I want to switch out some bulbs. I don't want to spend a bunch of money right now though. What should I do? I want max growth and nice color, towards the blue end. I am keeping mostly soft corals.....
Grab 3 Blue Plus or Actinic Plus and replace 2 10K and 1 blue lamp.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dreboogie
GRIM need your help for Analysis Paralysis - I have a new prop tank I'm setting up, mainly for zoo's/palys, mushrooms, xenia and other softies, maybe some SPS if your lighting suggestion will suffice. My tank is 30"Lx18"Hx12"D. I don't want to buy a chiller and so I'm looking for a T5 setup. I'm looking for a light setup to give great growth to the corals and coloration as well. I'm on a budget I've seen ready to go setups for sunlightsupply for $120 to icecap retros for $280.

2) is there a retrofit setup or kit that you recommend, I'll pay for better quality if there is a reasonable difference.

Grim help me choose this setup, bulbs everything and if you recommend an online vendor to purchase.
Get the reefgeek retro with the Tek 2 reflectors. They are really wide so they will cover the 18" depth good. 4x24 will do fine. Just keep the lamp lined up and use the ends of the tank for shrooms, they wouldn't be happy under the lights.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Grim... not thinking abot PAR... what is the best actinic out there for coloration.,.. remember, I am NOT fond of the UVL super actinic... it just seems to gray everything out in my tank...I want a deep blue actinic like a super blue VHO...
Old 01/09/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

quote:

Get the reefgeek retro with the Tek 2 reflectors. They are really wide so they will cover the 18" depth good. 4x24 will do fine. Just keep the lamp lined up and use the ends of the tank for shrooms, they wouldn't be happy under the lights.

Thanks for the help Grim, What light color combo would be the best for growth and to add some color since this is for a frag tank not a display tank. Would a Fiji purple be in your recommended mix??
Old 01/10/2008, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Grab 3 Blue Plus or Actinic Plus and replace 2 10K and 1 blue lamp.
What should the configuration be from front to back.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Do you think 2 10k 2 current actinic and 2 actinic plus would look nice?
Old 01/10/2008, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Grim, I need a little assistance here if it's possible. I currently have the following bulbs (bought the fixture used, came with them):
2x 12k
1x 10k
3x super antintic
2x antintic plus

How would you place them on my 6 bulbs fixture?

THanks!
Chris
Old 01/10/2008, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Setting up a prop tank:

- Icecap 660 ballast (Also running on my display tank)
- 2x24" T5 lights (24w overdriven to ~40w?)
- 12" tall prop tank

Question 1) Which reflector?
- Tek 2 T5 Parabolic Retrofit Reflector for 1-24W Bulb
- Icecap SLR T5 Retrofit Reflector for 1-24W Bulb
- Other?

Question 2) Which two bulbs? Best growth - prop tank
- 2 x GE 3000K
- GE 3000K + GE 6500K
- 2 x GE 6500K
- 2 x Geismann 6000K Midday Sun
- GE 6500K + ATI Aquablue
- ???
Old 01/10/2008, 05:16 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Grim, I was having issues finding a suitable light. Again, the tank is a 33L (48x13x13). I originally was going to go with a 6 bulb powermodule 39 watt fixture but they are out of stock. So I can either go with 4x54 or 6x54. What would you do. I understand that 6 bulbs on this 33L tank might be way overkill but does it matter even if I use some blue bulbs? Will 4 still give me some good color options? And if you have a chance, I couldn't find some good powermodule 4 or 6 bulb 54 watt combos that I could try... So your opinion is gold on this. It's going to be mostly SPS, some LPS and ricordia. It's pretty much a coral grow out tank.

However, it does have to look good as it's a display too. I'm sure the 4 bulb is perfect but I don't want to lose out on the benefits of being able to use all the different combos.

mike
Old 01/10/2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim... not thinking abot PAR... what is the best actinic out there for coloration.,.. remember, I am NOT fond of the UVL super actinic... it just seems to gray everything out in my tank...I want a deep blue actinic like a super blue VHO...
Maybe try a combination of the super actinic and the UVL 75/25 which look a little purple once it burns in. Between the two you should have plenty of actinic.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
quote:

Thanks for the help Grim, What light color combo would be the best for growth and to add some color since this is for a frag tank not a display tank. Would a Fiji purple be in your recommended mix??
No, I wouldn't bother with the fiji lamp. Do a UVL Aquasun, GE 6500K Daylight and 2 Blue Plus lamps.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Txcowboy22
What should the configuration be from front to back.
Actinic Plus
Current 10K
Current Blue
Current 10K or Actinic Plus depending on how you like the look
Actinic Plus
Actinic Plus or Current Blue
Old 01/10/2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cy88
Grim, I need a little assistance here if it's possible. I currently have the following bulbs (bought the fixture used, came with them):
2x 12k
1x 10k
3x super antintic
2x antintic plus

How would you place them on my 6 bulbs fixture?

THanks!
Chris
Front
Actinic Plus
Super Actinic
Actinic Plus
Super Actinic
Old 01/10/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Ok, new variation on same theme. Looking for advice on a 5-bulb set up. 48" tank, about 20" deep.

My 660 pooped out and is being repaired. I bought a 4x54 retro kit from reefgeek and installed last night, with the expectation of adding the 660 back to drive two vho actinics to complement t5s. That's a no go. Not enough room in the canopy. The tek reflectors are a bit wider than I expected. I have room for five t5 bulbs with reflectors max. The middle, or third, bulb, will have to be 36" to accomodate two fans I have on the inside of the canopy. So, 4x48" and 1x36", with the 36" in the middle.

What I plan to do is swap out one of the ballasts with the 660 when it comes back, so that I'll have one regular ballast driving 2x54w, and the icecap driving (overdriving) two of the 48 inch bulbs and the 36 inch bulb.

Any suggestions on how to set this up and what bulbs to use? To avoid to much wiring insanity, I think I'd like to keep the three overdriven bulbs on the icecap next to one another -- so the 36" middle bulb and either the two 48" in front or two in back. So, the two possibilities are:

Back
48" -- icecap
48 -- icecap
36 -- icecap
48 -- reg. ballast
48 -- reg. ballast
Front

Or the reverse:

Back
48 -- regular ballast
48 -- reg. ballast
36 -- icecap
48 -- icecap
48 -- icecap
Front

Thanks in advance.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alanmorehead
Setting up a prop tank:

- Icecap 660 ballast (Also running on my display tank)
- 2x24" T5 lights (24w overdriven to ~40w?)
- 12" tall prop tank

Question 1) Which reflector?
- Tek 2 T5 Parabolic Retrofit Reflector for 1-24W Bulb
- Icecap SLR T5 Retrofit Reflector for 1-24W Bulb
- Other?

Question 2) Which two bulbs? Best growth - prop tank
- 2 x GE 3000K
- GE 3000K + GE 6500K
- 2 x GE 6500K
- 2 x Geismann 6000K Midday Sun
- GE 6500K + ATI Aquablue
- ???
Tek II reflectors GE 6500K and ATI Aquablue lamps.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Grim, I was having issues finding a suitable light. Again, the tank is a 33L (48x13x13). I originally was going to go with a 6 bulb powermodule 39 watt fixture but they are out of stock. So I can either go with 4x54 or 6x54. What would you do. I understand that 6 bulbs on this 33L tank might be way overkill but does it matter even if I use some blue bulbs? Will 4 still give me some good color options? And if you have a chance, I couldn't find some good powermodule 4 or 6 bulb 54 watt combos that I could try... So your opinion is gold on this. It's going to be mostly SPS, some LPS and ricordia. It's pretty much a coral grow out tank.

However, it does have to look good as it's a display too. I'm sure the 4 bulb is perfect but I don't want to lose out on the benefits of being able to use all the different combos.

mike
Do a 6 lamp Nova Extreme pro but replace the blue lamps. you put a powermodule over a 13" tall tank you'll melt everything but the rocks.

I'd do this for lamps
Front
UVL Super Actinic
Current 10K
Actinic Plus
Current 10K
UVL Super Actinic
Actinic Plus
Old 01/10/2008, 06:00 PM
Thinking Too Hard

even the 4 bulb version grim? I gotta have that good look too. Plus, I need to hang the fixture...

Essentially, it's between the ATI, 6 bulb tek, and Aquactinics Tx5 but I don't really like the look of that. I also want the bulbs to last as long as they can in the fixtures and not replace them at 6-9 months.. hopefully at least a year as I thought T5's lasted a bit longer...

Mike

Last edited by MikeD; 01/10/2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
even the 4 bulb version grim? I gotta have that good look too. Plus, I need to hang the fixture...

Essentially, it's between the ATI, 6 bulb tek, and Aquactinics Tx5 but I don't really like the look of that. I also want the bulbs to last as long as they can in the fixtures and not replace them at 6-9 months.. hopefully at least a year as I thought T5's lasted a bit longer...

Mike
Mike I have a different take on this from Grim. I would highly reccomend the ATI, then the TX5, and lastly the Extreme.

Granted the ATI is going to be extreme overkill on THAT Tank. However, it is a Quality fixture that will serve you well in the future when you get a deeper tank. As it is, it wouldn't even be overkill on your tank if you use it for high light animals like SPS/Clams. Because of its excellent active cooling you will get maximum lifespan from your bulbs. It is meant to be hung and comes with the hardware to do so and it looks so good, its to die for.

I have never had a TX5, but it has a good reputation. It would only be mildly overkill for your tank and has the same advantages the ATI has except IMHO, its an OK looking fixture. I don't know if it can be hung easily.

The Extreme would also work.

What I'm really preaching here is my own personal philosphy regarding reefing equipment. I usually buy the best product I can afford knowing that I will undoubtedly upgrade my tanks again in the future and knowing if I ever need to sell any equipment the good stuff holds its value much better. Also, European high-end equipment is probably only going to get expotentially more expensive for the next several years so its actually a reasonably good value at todays prices.

I have found out the hard way that if you buy cheap in this hobby you usually have to buy twice and in the end it would have been about the same (or less) to have bought good stuff to begin with.

Good luck

James

Last edited by jamesdawson; 01/10/2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:52 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Sigh.... James, so you're saying even for the 4 bulb fixture, it's overkill? Holy cow... How does this thing treat those 4 same bulbs that would go in a 4 bulb tek?! It's not overdriven in the powermodules.... I thought it was just the reflectors that are making the bulbs 'brighter' Okay... 4 bulb powermodule fixture too much? What do you think? I can of course, raise and lower the light from it's light stand. I guess max height from the tank bottom would be about 30" and I can lower it until it hits the tank of course....

Mike
Old 01/10/2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grimm- noob here and need some advice on upgrading my lights to T5 using retrofit. I have a 90gallon with built in overflow in the corner, so I have dilemma on what length of reflectors and how many to buy. The new TEK 2 reflectors are 3 1/8" wide. One area of my tank is only 11" wide and another part is only 32" long due to the space the overflow takes up. It seems like I have 2 options:

1. I know I can fit 4 48" bulbs, but some of the light would be "wasted" on the overflow.
2. I could fit 3 48" bulbs and then 2 24" near the back of the tank.

What do you recommend or can you think of another option? If I go with option 2, would I be able to run all the lights on an Icecap 660 and overdrive them?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01/10/2008, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Mike,

The ATI fixture will grow SPS at the sandbed in a 24" deep tank. Like I said, as long as you keep high light animals like non-deepwater SPS or most clams or anenomes this light would be an excellent choice. If you ever upgrade to a deeper tank it would still be an excellent fixture.

The reason Grim says its overkill is because it would be too much light (if kept at the normal 6" of the waterline) for lower light animals like soft corals/most LPS.

Absolutely you can suspend the light up higher then 6" and keep the lower light animals. If you can afford it go for it as it is the nicest looking fixture that produces tons of light efficiently without putting alot of heat into your tank IME.

Maybe the best thing about a 4 bulb unit is you can always add another 4 (or 6, 8, 10) bulb unit in the future if you get a wider tank. Like I said, its not going to get any cheaper in the future!

Good luck,
James
Old 01/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered new bulbs for my 48" TEK T5 fixture. Can someone tell me if they think I ordered a nice combo and in what order to place them in my tank? Lights 1 & 6 are on a separate switch than 2,3,4 &5. If you think I should go with different bulbs, please advise that as well. Thanks in advance!!

2 - ATI Blue Plus
2 - ATI Aquablue Special
1 - ATI True Actinic
1 - ATI Pro Color
Old 01/10/2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Sigh.... James, so you're saying even for the 4 bulb fixture, it's overkill? Holy cow... How does this thing treat those 4 same bulbs that would go in a 4 bulb tek?! It's not overdriven in the powermodules.... I thought it was just the reflectors that are making the bulbs 'brighter' Okay... 4 bulb powermodule fixture too much? What do you think? I can of course, raise and lower the light from it's light stand. I guess max height from the tank bottom would be about 30" and I can lower it until it hits the tank of course....

Mike
Think about how high up you can place it. If it gets too high it will ge glaring in your eyes. Marine Depot sells some pretty slick looking Giesemann T5 fixtures that might work for you.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim...

Do you know how the new Sundial T5HO Lighting System are? I'm looking for a light for a 29 gallon tank and I don't want to use pc.
Thanks,
Roland