Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Help with hermit crabs

I just got some live rock and have found two hermits so far. I dont have any food and dont know what to feed them. I have blood worms and freshwater flake food and stuff. Would that work? I dont know how long they will last though becuase my tank just started cycling but hopefully everything works out.
Thank you,
Ryan
Old 01/08/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I have three hermit crabs that helped with the cycling of my tank. They should have no problems making through yours. They are scavengers and will eat just about anything.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

I hate hermit crabs, Snails are way better in my opinion, especially Ceriths and with Hermits they kill my Ceriths and dont tell me to get empty shells because I have plenty, Im getting rid of my hermits.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

They maynot make it but dropping a pellet or two or very little frozen a few times a week will help them.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

hermits pick on my corals. i'm just waiting for them to die.. they wont.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Hermits are the busiest thing in my tank. My wife hate them and some days when I come home from work, she has one in a cup of saltwater on our counter. It is in a "timeout" because it was bothering something. I think they add character to the tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:17 PM
Aquarium Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Savas
Hermits are the busiest thing in my tank. My wife hate them and some days when I come home from work, she has one in a cup of saltwater on our counter. It is in a "timeout" because it was bothering something. I think they add character to the tank.
LOL!!! I think that's hilarious.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Savas
Hahahaha! That's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time! That's great!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/08/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I love my hermits, they are some of my favorite residents! In the future i would add some empty shells for them to grow into so they don't eat your snails. My hermits prefer cerith type shells to astrea shells.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Our tank is our kitchen and she uses kitchen tongs to get them out of the tank...
Old 01/08/2008, 03:10 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
oh the poor hermits...they sure are taking a beating in this thread. Depends largely on the species of hermit crabs we're talking about. All the hermits I've ever had have been model reef citizens, never even looked at a snail funny.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

You should get a pic of thouse hermits up and see if you can get them ID'd! Some are not safe in your tank. I don't trust anything with claws!
Old 01/08/2008, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Well one I know is a red legged hermit crab and the other one i cant find right now but is in a cone shapes shell and is extremely small and black.