Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvlax40
the truth is window$$$ sucks, that is why it is only used on personal computers, the mahority of major companeys use unix or linux bsed systems as their server mainframes
That is, quite possibly, the dumbest explanation for someone to switch to an alternative operating systems I've ever heard.

Of course major companies use Linux/Unix for their server operating systems. IT IS DESIGNED FOR THAT.

Call me crazy, but I don't see any mention of the fact that our OP here is going to be starting a server farm. But hey, if you want to continue telling us how 1337 you are because you are T3H L00N][X M4$T3R, feel free.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

wow just more jealous talk from a windohs fan boy, im pretty sure the new ubuntu distro is giving mac os x leopard a run for its money for OS of the year, wheres vista? not even in the running. the fact of the matter is that microsoft has fallen behind i so many aspects. it is un stable at times, unsecure at times, and just down right hard to work with. my point of mentioning severs and mainframes was not that the op would be starting one, but that linux/unix applications are used because the servers need to always be running at top performance with minimal fuss and high security. that translates into have a home computer that is easy to use, has few technical problems, and is very secure.

no where in my post did i say i was the loonix master, in fact im surprised i could even read what you wrote. what are you 16 and playing Doungeons and Dragons? granted i should have added more to my explination to make it relavent, but quite frankly your post added nothing to this thread, and IMHO was some what childish. but go on defend your windows to the death, i admire your loyalty
Old 01/02/2008, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Tastes Great!

Less Filling!

Oh wait that is something completely different!

Agree to disagree!!
Old 01/02/2008, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

What's wrong with D&D? ;-)
Old 01/02/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like everything has mostly been said, although I'd also say look at the software your using and make sure its not platform specific only. Personally I've used mac's in the past and loved them, however I wasn't so in love with the price. And from what I've read in the reviews, in the PC platform the XPS one has gotten green reviews across the board, even reviewers that favor mac systems have had nothing but good things to say about that system.

In the end go check out a mac system and see if you like it, check out the requirements of any software you may have and make sure you can use it on a mac. You have picked two very good choices in systems, but its up to you to make the final decision. All the fighting over which platform is better will never help you out.

Watch out behind you its that Murphy guy and he's up to no good again.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thefireking
What's wrong with D&D? ;-)
I vote for MAC & I love D&D.
The rest of us would probably prefer to do without the nerd version of "Yo Mama" .
Frizz
Old 01/02/2008, 08:26 PM
RC Staff
American

[chimp]

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....