Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I guess what I do not understand is the conventional wisdom that garlic "boosts the immune system". What does the immune system have to do with large parasites like ich? To me the immune system has to do with white blood cells combating bacteria and viruses on a much smaller scale that the ich parasite exists in.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:24 PM
Moved On

any updates???????

PICS PICS PICS..................
Old 12/31/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Wow, This thread is crazy. I have like 15 PMs also haha. I have been on vacation and will not be back home for one more week. My brother is feeding the fish and checking on things for me. He says she is eating good and getting fat. You can see the pictures I posted from the 2nd day in my tank. There was no ick that could be seen. There is a big bulg where her belly is.

I will repost the pictures of her on the 2nd day. As soon as I get home I will get some more.
This is the first day. The first picture with ick.

This is 2 pictures late the 2nd day.

Old 12/31/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McTeague
I guess what I do not understand is the conventional wisdom that garlic "boosts the immune system". What does the immune system have to do with large parasites like ich? To me the immune system has to do with white blood cells combating bacteria and viruses on a much smaller scale that the ich parasite exists in.
Ok, I am not going to use big terms when I say this because I would be here all day. Fish have a slime coat. A fish that is not healthy does not have a good immunity. Garlic boost the appetite and immunity system. That = a good slime coat. If you eat garlic it will make you stink. It comes out in your sweet and you will have a funny smell about you haha. It is proven when you eat garlic parasites do not like you because you tast bad. If you tast bad they will not bite you. They drop off and die.

So, Eat garlic and tick, mosquitoes, and other bugs should not bite you but once =-).
Old 12/31/2007, 11:14 PM
Moved On

Those are the same pics you posted already.

Good to hear it's doing well. Please do post pictures of it when you get home. Would like to see how it's doing and if the hype about garlic lives up to expectations.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Hi i am new to SW so i am wondering. what is ich?
Old 01/01/2008, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Ich is the most prevalent parasites in Marine Aquaria. It is a parasite that bores into the tissue of a fish, feeds off the fish and then drops of the fish to only reproduce in the rock or substrate and then becomes free floating to search out a fish to infect and start the whole process all over again. (Very simplifed)

It appears as little white spots on a fish but the white spot itself is not the ich. The ich is beneath the surface and the spot you see is basically just a scab or blister on the fish. You can't see ich with the naked eye.

Being new to SW, quarantine or not, your fish will eventually experience ich. Ich can hitch hike in on anything, live rock, inverts, sand. QT'ing new fish in Hyposalinity, LR and corals and inverts at normal SG for at least 4 weeks can help to lessen the chance of ICH being introduced.

I think it is possible to have a totally ICH free tank but you will have to be extremely strict and dilligent by properly QT'ing EVERYTING put in your tank, even macro algae like Chaeto' or Caulerpa. If someone only QT's fish, they are wasting time and energy.

Ich, in Tomont stage, can hitch hike in on anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by SeaSerpant
Hi i am new to SW so i am wondering. what is ich?

Last edited by schigara; 01/01/2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Are you using fresh garlic or can it be the minced garlic in a jar or garlic powder? What is the procedure? Do you just soak the mysis or silversides? Does garlic go into the tank? Sorry, just would like some clarification(specifics).

Thanks
Old 01/01/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't really look like ich from the picture... The spots are way too big, probably just dead skin. usually ich looks like small white pimples if visual at all, but it's not always visible.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Garlic Guard By Seachem
Old 01/02/2008, 05:20 PM
Moved On

I agree with m2434 also doesn't look like ich.

But anyways the last picture of the fish looked really really skinny very hard to nurse them back to health from that point.

Goodluck and please keep us updated.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I love guys that do things against the grain, and dont care about everyone telling him he cant do something. People get so hung up on thier opinions. The man has experience doing something, WITH SUCCESS. He is sharing his experience. I think its great. I have been fortunate enough to escape an ich outbreak, but I will definitely keep garlic in the back of my mind just in case. What could it hurt?

Good luck with the fish and tank! Please post some more pics of him when he's fat & healthy!!!!!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

so where is a pic. of this so called 250.00 blue tang?
Old 01/02/2008, 09:26 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
[violation]

Last edited by bertoni; 01/06/2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

lol thats what i thought, why would someone pay 250 for a blue tang
Old 01/02/2008, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Just got away from wife and kids for a bit. I am not @ my house so I cant take pictures and all the pictures of the blue tang are on my Home PC. But, I am going to check to see if I uploaded some on my kodak webpage. It will be a old picture. I will have to mail you a invite to you VIA email for you to view the personal pictures that are on there.

Kau_cinta, Most people do not respond too a post you makes within 1 hour and 4 mins. So dont go talking CRAP when people do not have time to respond. I did not say the Tang was WORTH $250. I have been offered that. I Don't like people to shove words in my mouth. If you have read this and my other post you would know that by now. You would also know I am out of town.

Moontang, Are you just trying to get 50 post so you can BUY/Sale/trade? Get the facts before you go name calling.

I do not post here to get flamed. I post here to help and get help.

P.S the tang is about 5 years old and eats from my had. He also likes me to scrach his head. I made a post about a year ago on SWF.com about my frendly tang. People really loved the ideal of a big fish and the pictures I took of him eating from my hand and acting like a cat and loving on me.

The reason the guy offered so much is because he read my post and was amazed. He has a 300 gallon and wanted a BIG Fish that he could hand feed that was more like a pet than a fish. He just offered that. I did not take it because The blue tang is my wifes fav. fish. Does my explanation make you feel better? Please don't ASSuME things. Spell the word out and you will see what you just made yourselfs look like.

I do not like people flamming me. There is a diffrence in someone asking to see a picture of something because they have not seen it, or do not know the reason behind it. And a person who just spouts at the mouth and totally disregards anyones feelings is being a Jerk IMO.

If you want to be a jerk do not post on my threads. If I took one of the 2 of you wrong way I am sorry.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I dont even have/know where to find my kodak webpage. I use a quick Link from the program. Send me a PM Monday and I will get pictures.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

i am not flamming you I just asked to see a pic. of the 250.00 fish. I didn't say you said it was worth that much but someone offered that much so that makes it worth that much. so as much as you hate ppl putting words into your mouth, stop putting words in mine.

I have a half zoa half shroom morph that I was offered 300.00 for it. it is the same thing. things are only really worth as much as ppl will buy it for.

sorry if I sounded like I was flamming you but I wasn't. just wanted to see a pic. of the beautiful fish.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
From an outsiders opinion, it looks sarcastic and condescending.

Then, to agree with someone that he was [removed] cause of the price you mentioned? Low class in my opinion.

If you dont agree with what he says, state it and move on.

Last edited by bertoni; 01/06/2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

I agree with Kris, using words like "so called" and "thats what I thought" sounds more like a grade schooler argument than a request from another interested hobbyist to see a picture of an cool fish. You sound like an irrogant [profanity].

As a side note, I have used garlic also and it has worked well to help rid a fish of ich.

Last edited by bertoni; 01/06/2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:28 PM
Moved On

Moontang, Are you just trying to get 50 post so you can BUY/Sale/trade? Get the facts before you go name calling.

Even if i stated that comment so what...... Was it to you?? NO

What your trying to tell people is unreal. What if i said that i sold a super healthy percula clownfish for 250 to some guy. You wouldn't think that guy is dumb???

The hell am i gonna do once i get 50 posts. For your information i live in CANADA.

Anyways thought you were away from home how much you keep popping up in here. So wheres the new pics of the naso or did he past away.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Moontang, no matter who the comment was directed to it did appear to be insulting someone. Flybynight asks that flamming not be done. Reef Central is not the place to personaly attack others comments. If you find the price increduous, ask why that price was quoted. Personally, the price makes more sense when explained. I can see someone who has lots of money to spare wanting a tang that can be petted. You or I may think a person dumb for offering that much for the fish, but people do stuff like that all the time. Please, as metioned before, no negative personal attacks. Keep things in a constructive manner. Disagree or agree, but do so respectfully.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:00 PM
Moved On

jadeguppy

Sorry but his personal comment posted early was totally disrespectful and your saying i'm flaming. Just because it's his thread doesn't mean whatever he says goes.

What you call that?? The thing is if he was really smart he would have looked at my profile and saw that i registered in JUN2006 and only have 45 posts in total.

Like kau_cinta_ku asked where's a picture of this fish. Anybody that has a fish that they are so proud of would have plenty of pictures especially if they could pet it. No?? I know i would ask my wife to take some pictures of me doing it.

Last edited by MoonTang; 01/03/2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Moon, You do have a point with the 50 posts comment.

I too want to see a picture. However, I do understand if someone is not at home. With that said, Fly, when do you think you will be able to get pictures posted? The tang did look very skinny and I'd like to see the progress. I really do hope it is doing well.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I also would like to see pictures of the fish, but for MUCH different reasons!

People just need to shut up already. Its enough.