Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Good point, Grim. The 4x39 retrofit kit for Tek is 12" and for IceCap SLR it is 10". I'd probably get better coverage of the tank with the IceCap retrofit kit, then. How does the output compare between the 2 types of reflectors? Is there any need for a protective shield between the lights and the water?

Recommendations for lights for LPS, softies, perhaps starting to dabble with SPS and clams?

p.s. Grim, we couldn't do it without you!

Thanks for everything!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 01:23 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Keep the lamps at least 4" above the water and you shouldn't need a shield. The Ice Caps have better output than the Teks.

For lamps just the basic

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
Old 12/30/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Also, does anyone know what ballasts reefgeek supplies with their IceCap 4x39 retrofit kit? It says it comes with 4 SLR reflectors and 2 ballasts, but it does not specify what kind. (It specifically says that they are not the Workhorse ballasts).

Thanks again!
Old 12/30/2007, 11:57 AM

I think they are using the Sylvanias now which can be labeled VS, or Osram as well. They did have triads which are also good.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a 48 inch 4x54 watt Tek T5 HO lighting fixture on an 18 inch deep 75 gallon tank. Currently, the fixture has (1) actinic bulb then (2) 6500K bulbs and then (1) actinic bulb. The fixture looks bright and nice, but not that purple-blue metal halide light look that I desire.

I have seen some other T5 fixtures have that look using the ATI bulbs, however they all have the 6 and 8 bulb light fixtures. What bulb configurations should I order?

Thanks!
Old 12/30/2007, 02:43 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

How is the combonation for clams/nems on a 18inch deep tank?
Old 12/30/2007, 02:43 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

nevermind, I found my old previous post in this gigantic thread

Last edited by superswimmer; 12/30/2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Grim, I am having a hard time finding a T-5 fixture that is 24" long and holds more than 4 bulbs. ATI doesnt have an ETA on thier 24" fixtures, so I am thinking about an AQUACTINICS TX5. If I were to change one of the ballast that runs 3 bulbs out and replace it with an Icecap ballast to overdrive 3 lamps, would that be enough lighting to get great color and growth in my new 24x24x20 Tall tank. I am going to be doing a Barebottom MOSTLY SPS setup. What about coverage, the aquactinics fixture is only 9" wide? Any other suggestions? This is a rimless tank, and I dont want to do a retro.

I really dont want to put halides over this tank in fear over overheating it.

Brian
Old 12/30/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I need help choosing two bulbs for my 2x24W T5HO lighting setup. My last bulbs were a 10000K and super actinic by ARC. I was wondering if there are better options to get the best visual appeal along with helping livestock. Thanks.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:34 PM
Reefer

I got a question about T5 and MH.

I was running 8- 54w t5 on my 90gl tank for 3 munths.i just switch back to 2-250w 10k MH. with in one day of switching I'm starting to get nitrogen bubbles all over the LR. WY didn't I get them with my T5s.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

A few basic questions:
1. I know SLR reflectors are considered the best, but is this is mainly for depth penetration? For a 16" deep tank, Tek reflectors are probably just as good?

2. Since the Tek reflectors are only 2", I was going to retrofit 5 T5's over my 20H. For softies and LPS, is 5x24W HO overkill? Note I currently have 2x65W PC.

3. I understand an Ice Cap 660 could run all 5x24", but would it overdrive them to 40W each? Are there any single ballasts that can run all 5 lamps at HO?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12/31/2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJM32189
Hi,

I have a 48 inch 4x54 watt Tek T5 HO lighting fixture on an 18 inch deep 75 gallon tank. Currently, the fixture has (1) actinic bulb then (2) 6500K bulbs and then (1) actinic bulb. The fixture looks bright and nice, but not that purple-blue metal halide light look that I desire.

I have seen some other T5 fixtures have that look using the ATI bulbs, however they all have the 6 and 8 bulb light fixtures. What bulb configurations should I order?

Thanks!
Do this
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
Old 12/31/2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cashman95
Grim, I am having a hard time finding a T-5 fixture that is 24" long and holds more than 4 bulbs. ATI doesnt have an ETA on thier 24" fixtures, so I am thinking about an AQUACTINICS TX5. If I were to change one of the ballast that runs 3 bulbs out and replace it with an Icecap ballast to overdrive 3 lamps, would that be enough lighting to get great color and growth in my new 24x24x20 Tall tank. I am going to be doing a Barebottom MOSTLY SPS setup. What about coverage, the aquactinics fixture is only 9" wide? Any other suggestions? This is a rimless tank, and I dont want to do a retro.

I really dont want to put halides over this tank in fear over overheating it.

Brian
On a 20" tall tank I really dont think you need to overdive unless you plan on hanging the fixture more than 4" above the tank. Even then I think I'd get a 430 and just OD 2 lamps. A Aquasun and Aquablue. Do 2 blue Plus and a Super Actinic for the other lamps, should look nice.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Envy07
I need help choosing two bulbs for my 2x24W T5HO lighting setup. My last bulbs were a 10000K and super actinic by ARC. I was wondering if there are better options to get the best visual appeal along with helping livestock. Thanks.
UVL Super Actinic and a ATI Aquablue would be my choice.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JDS
I got a question about T5 and MH.

I was running 8- 54w t5 on my 90gl tank for 3 munths.i just switch back to 2-250w 10k MH. with in one day of switching I'm starting to get nitrogen bubbles all over the LR. WY didn't I get them with my T5s.

What kind of T5 unit were you using? Could be your tank temp is higher or a change in spectrum
Old 12/31/2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Biotoper
A few basic questions:
1. I know SLR reflectors are considered the best, but is this is mainly for depth penetration? For a 16" deep tank, Tek reflectors are probably just as good?

2. Since the Tek reflectors are only 2", I was going to retrofit 5 T5's over my 20H. For softies and LPS, is 5x24W HO overkill? Note I currently have 2x65W PC.

3. I understand an Ice Cap 660 could run all 5x24", but would it overdrive them to 40W each? Are there any single ballasts that can run all 5 lamps at HO?

Thanks,
Ryan
5 lamps in tek reflecors would be fine if they will fit. I think a Fulham workhorse 8 can drive 5 24 watt lamps. www.fulham.com
Old 12/31/2007, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Any recommendation for a 4 bulb tek light?

Mainly keeping LPS, hopefully a few SPS closer to the top.

The store that I will be ordering the fixture from has only GE, URI only: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...category_ID=65

Would this be a good idea:
GE Actinic +
URI Antintic white
URI Aqua Sun
URI Super Antintic blue

Also, will this be a good enough fixture for a 75G? (21" in height) I would like to save a few dollars from the 6 fixture, until I can afford a very good MH unit down the road.

Thanks Grim!

Last edited by cy88; 12/31/2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

going out on a limb here until Grim chimes in because im bored.

ATI blue plus
UVL super actinic
UVL aquasun
ATI blue plus

thats what he recommended above for someone who had a 75gal with a 4x54 TEK as well.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately they don't' carry the ATI's. Can those be replaced by something in UVL or GE?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

oh you mean, like selecting bulbs from that site. i get it. well in that case youd probably want to get Giesemanns and URI (which is the same as UVL, just diff. name)

it would then be more like:

Giesemann aquablue +
URI super actinic
URI aquasun
Giesemann aquablue +

Grim will get you a better setup though. im not an expert, i just try to help people by reiterating his suggestions in his absence. i browse his posts a lot and try to give people info, but still allowing him to receive the credit. he is the man after all.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

setting up a 72 bow front and looking at T5 as the only lighting any recomendations would be apperciated would like to keep couple of clams and possible a few sps later.
thanks in advance
Old 12/31/2007, 09:02 AM

Close grasshopper but you missed the pebble

Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue Plus

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
oh you mean, like selecting bulbs from that site. i get it. well in that case youd probably want to get Giesemanns and URI (which is the same as UVL, just diff. name)

it would then be more like:

Giesemann aquablue +
URI super actinic
URI aquasun
Giesemann aquablue +

Grim will get you a better setup though. im not an expert, i just try to help people by reiterating his suggestions in his absence. i browse his posts a lot and try to give people info, but still allowing him to receive the credit. he is the man after all.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KOZMOBC
setting up a 72 bow front and looking at T5 as the only lighting any recomendations would be apperciated would like to keep couple of clams and possible a few sps later.
thanks in advance
4 lamp Ice Cap retro, the overdriven version if you are serious about clams.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

ooooh, my mistake. very well sensei, i will leave you to lead the people into the dark abyss that is T5 bulb selection. if you need me i will be in the dojo practicing your teachings.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

thanks yes i am serious about the clams. any peticular bulb configuration