Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Need quick answer to a lighting question

Hi all,

Need a quick answer as I have a deal pending for tomorrow for a set of Coralife 2x 150W /w 2x 96W PC and LED fixture.

My question is, is 2x 150W powerful enough for a 21" keep 75G tank? (48")

It's not going to be a calms or SPS dominate tank, nor planning to keep any calms.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 12/31/2007, 12:57 AM
RC Mod

With decent reflectors and bulbs, it'll be okay.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

It'll be this fixture here: http://www.hellolights.com/browsepro...ight-LEDs.HTML
Old 12/31/2007, 01:13 AM
RC Mod

I don't know anything about the quality of that brand, but the basic setup looks reasonable to me.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

I am really torn between T5 (specificly the Tek 6 bulbs) and this setup. As a newb, i really have no idea what is "the right intensity" and what is "not enough/too much". I am getting mixed opinion according to search and google.

Really, really confused.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:17 AM
RC Mod

Either choice can be fine. A lot of it boils down to personal taste. I prefer MH, but it's not going to be as energy-efficient for this setup as a good T5 system.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

i love my T-5's. i do believe they put out a lot more light than a PC. i had a 4x 54watt Tek T-5 over my old 55g, and i was able to keep everything: SPS, clams, you name it. i had a maxima halfway down and it was doing great. it does all boil down to personal preference, though. there's a huge T-5 question and answer thread in the equipment forum. as far as "not enough, too much", it all depends on what you want to keep.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

I am planning to keep soft corals and MIGHT be some SPS closer to the top. From my understanding, the soft corals are not as light demanding as some others, and they could actually get damaged if lights are too strong.

Having that said, I think the 2x 150W MH would get me enough light for SPS closer to the top, and would work nicely with the softies closer to the middle and bottom? (of course, and get the shimmering look )
Old 12/31/2007, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

i really like my t5s also it would be a good chice if money is the problem
Old 12/31/2007, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cubsfan79
i really like my t5s also it would be a good chice if money is the problem
The tek 6 bulbs with all bulbs and mounting leg comes to around $650-700CAD with tax and shipping from online retailer or instore. The MH kit I am getting is $700CAD as well used for a month.

If i were to go for the tek 4 bulbs one, I would save around $100 on fixture, $50 on bulbs but I am worrying about the expandability in the future? (Not that I get any option for expansion on MH) Is it powerful enough for my purpose on the 4 bulbs?

Budget is an issue. How would the Nova extreme 4x54W T5HO perform for my purpose (let's say no SPS)? I see LFS keeping quite a few softies in the tank (same size as mine) with the lights. How bad would the lack of reflector be? Would the Nova extreme but something that i can "start" with until later, or am I better off "going with the best" now? I've done way enough reading lately that it actually confused me even more in terms of the number of choices I have. If this low budget light can get me going, then I might give it a try!
Old 12/31/2007, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

i really like the nova extreme and your right ive seen alot of tanks with these lights kepping all kinds of stuff,but if ya wanna know my opinion go with the best right off youll thank yourself for it ,if i had the money i would go with MH good luck
Old 12/31/2007, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

The price difference for the above MH fixture and the Nova extreme 4x54W is around $350CAD (used vs new), and no difference with the T5.

Would the above MH fixture last me a good amount of time (2+ years) for my purpose? Or am I better off give up the shimmering effect for some higher light from the Tek 6 bulbs? What are your past experience when dealing with changing lighting fixtures vs growing in reef keep experience/demand?
Old 12/31/2007, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

whenever i look at making purchases for equipment, or really anything pricey for that matter, i try to get something that will be both reliable and expandable. now from what youve listed as options above, and personal preference on my part, i would go with T5s. i have never owned MH, and cant comment much about them. i know people love the shimmer effect, as do i. and its your money so you should get what you like to look at. i would just be careful about putting too much stock in aesthetics when making a large investment.

T5s

Pros:

-lower electic costs
-cooler running
-more bulb selection
-comparable output to MH (with individ. reflectors)
-can be slightly cheaper than MH

Cons:

-no shimmer
-not quite as much output as MH
-must replace multiple bulbs

MH

Pros:

-shimmer
-plenty of output to keep anything
-most natural light

Cons:

-high electric costs
-runs hotter
-must supplement with T5s for actinic
-can me slighty more expensive than T5s

its really up to you. if you can get by without the "shimmer' i think youll be really happy with the capabilities of T5s. if you decide on MH, ill be waiting for your "switching from MH to T5s, which fixture should i get" thread. :P

seriously though, when it comes down to the shimmer as the deciding factor, its just personal preference. it looks like theres really no price advantage one way or the other. and there ARE ways to generate a shimmer effect on a T5 lit tank. you may not like them, but theyre out there.

id look in this order:

Nova Extrem Pro 6x39
TEK 4x39
TEK 6x39
MH

and just find what fits your budget and what works best. HTH

-Kyle
Old 12/31/2007, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Re: Need quick answer to a lighting question

Quote:
Originally posted by cy88
Hi all,

Need a quick answer as I have a deal pending for tomorrow for a set of Coralife 2x 150W /w 2x 96W PC and LED fixture.

My question is, is 2x 150W powerful enough for a 21" keep 75G tank? (48")

It's not going to be a calms or SPS dominate tank, nor planning to keep any calms.

Thanks!
Chris
That's not a bad light. I was looking at it myself but went with the light you see on my signature. One reason I went with this one is because I don't need actinic lamps due to the kelvin rating of the MHs. Only two bulbs to replace and the cost of the bulbs are reasonable to my pocketbook.

I would consider the amount of bulbs in the current unit you're looking at just as a consideration when replacement time comes.

Good luck!

Chief

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph
Old 12/31/2007, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Oh. BTW. I didn't see how this thing sits on the top of the tank. Do you plan on hanging it or placing it directly on the top? If placing directly on the top, does it have legs? Are you willing to deal with salt buildup on the unit if it sits close to the water if it rests on the tank's frame?

Just more things to ponder.

Chief

72 Gal bowfront
Osmolator Universal 3155
Old 12/31/2007, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Hi all,

The more I read, the more I am leaning towards the 4 bulbs Tek. The main focus is going to be on LPS, which I dont' think I can blast them with too much light either. Found this thread in regards to the 4 vs 6 bulbs debate and turns out 4 bulbs should do me fine: http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30258

Having that said, going from the 6 bulbs setup (or the Coralife MH), it saves me around $200 and a few change, which really justify the lost of "shimmering" (I am already out of my budget for the setup). I think when I am ready (budget wise and the need) to upgrade to MH, I will go for something higher than 150W and therefore I can get the "shimmering" and the power I actually "need". Am I making sense?
Old 12/31/2007, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navychief
Oh. BTW. I didn't see how this thing sits on the top of the tank. Do you plan on hanging it or placing it directly on the top? If placing directly on the top, does it have legs? Are you willing to deal with salt buildup on the unit if it sits close to the water if it rests on the tank's frame?

Just more things to ponder.

Chief
Thanks for the reminder Chief. I think I've basically gave up the idea of this MH due to budget. However to answer your question, it includes the mounting leg. That's another reason I was re-thinking about the MH's as the height might not be far enough from the water using the legs to avoid overheating the water, thus needing a chiller.

For the Tek lights, the mounting devices are individually purchased. I can buy the mounting legs or the hanging ones. I think I will go for the mounting legs just for the ease of installation.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Well. I really believe heating is a very minor issue as long as there's some distance between the light and the water's surface...hence the need for legs. Do you have a glass top on the tank?

72 Gal bowfront
Osmolator Universal 3155
Old 12/31/2007, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well. I really believe heating is a very minor issue as long as there's some distance between the light and the water's surface...hence the need for legs. Do you have a glass top on the tank?
No glass top.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

roger that. Whatever you get, best of luck! Make sure to post pics!

Chief

72 Gal bowfront
Osmolator Universal 3155
Old 12/31/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
roger that. Whatever you get, best of luck! Make sure to post pics!

Chief
Going to create one of those infamous "My 75G Build thread!", however, have to fully decide and order the stuff first

Keep your yes opened, I am very excited! (Thank you for everyone's help so far on RC!)
Old 12/31/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

the 4bulb TEK should work out good for you. i know you have some shipping cost issues but FWIW, Grims results put the 6bulb Nova Pro pretty close to the 4 bulb TEK. with the Nova you also get 2 more bulbs and its a little lower in price. either way youll have plenty of light for what youre trying to do. id go with the TEK as well if you cant get the Nova shipped to CA for cheap.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
the 4bulb TEK should work out good for you. i know you have some shipping cost issues but FWIW, Grims results put the 6bulb Nova Pro pretty close to the 4 bulb TEK. with the Nova you also get 2 more bulbs and its a little lower in price. either way youll have plenty of light for what youre trying to do. id go with the TEK as well if you cant get the Nova shipped to CA for cheap.
I wish I can get my hands on some Nova Extreme Pro's. The shiping price alone already put it to the 4 bulb tek's price range (or even a little higher) so doesn't make sense for me to go Nova. I already posted in Grim's T5 Q&A for advice on bulb selection, maybe you can help out too if you have any good ideas to share (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...2#post11489512)
Old 12/31/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

the TEK will ge good, i just like trying to recruit more Nova Pro users

Grim is the man to ask, he should have a good recommendation for you, as he did for me. in the mean time i posted a config. over there that he had already recommended for someone with the same tank/lights as you. it also depends on what kind of look youre going for. you know, 10K vs. 20K. personally, im shooting for a 16-18K look with my bulb selection...when i upgrade that is.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

I was wondering what is this shimmering effect that everyone is talking about? I never heard of such a thing. Does this only happen with MH? I saw some LEDs online that says it gives the shimmering effect as well. I would like to see some examples of this, pics or vids if possible. Thanks

Oh I found the link. The Moon Light at the very end.
Link
It says.. This product can create rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects like the moon.
rhythmic glitter? Sounds interesting.

Last edited by leoslizards; 01/02/2008 at 08:40 AM.