Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
I would go the recir skimmer. A lot less headaches.
What make a recirc skimmer less headaches? I've been trying to find the advantage of recirc but failed.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
I would go the recir skimmer. A lot less headaches.
What make a recirc skimmer less headaches? I've been trying to find the advantage of recirc but failed.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:49 AM
DIY Junkie

Recircs are less prone to overflowing. If you get an airline clog on a singlepass with a gatevalve, the skimmer will overflow...with just a standpipe, they aren't as bad as long as the output plumbing is large enough. If the airline clogs on a recirc, no problem, it won't flood the house.

Recirc's you can control the throughput volume.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

i have the octopus recirc 150...

good thing with a recirc is ...you can run it external,feed it straight from your overflow,doesnt require a certain height in the sump to work properly,has more contact time,some includes a gate valve,
Old 12/28/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

The only problem, if it is one, with the Tunze's is that they are so fussy about water level that an autotopup is an absolute must, but you'll soo want one of those anyway if you don't already have one.
I looked briefly on google for a US distributor for Schuran, but did not find one though I'm sure someone like marine depot can get you one. I did see a few second hand though, and as they are absolutely bullet, that is always an option - I got mine used. They are a very 'classic' venturi skimmer, with the pros and cons that comes with, but mine is very, very recommended.
Another option that comes to mind is an AquaMEdic Blue 3000, which can employ a small foot print in a sump by having only the pump and outlet in the sump and everything else out. I have not seen one of these in action, but they are getting some good reviews tho', of course, AM skimmers are not sexy at this point in time.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:49 AM
DIY Junkie

I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about needing an ATO for a constant water level for your skimmer. You just need to put a baffle in your sump to make a constant level compartment for the skimmer. Like this...
Photobucket

And if you need to run the skimmer in lower water levels you can put a raised platform under it. If height is an issue in your stand, just make the baffle to a shorter height.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
i have the octopus recirc 150...

good thing with a recirc is ...you can run it external,feed it straight from your overflow,doesnt require a certain height in the sump to work properly,has more contact time,some includes a gate valve,
Is octopus recirc 150 quiet or noisy?

thanks
Old 12/29/2007, 03:06 AM
DIY Junkie

I can't speek for the 150, but my DNW110 is fairly quiet. If it were in the stand i don;t think I'd hear it. As it is now, the noise of the air sucking in the un-mufflered airline is the loudest thing about the skimmer.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Yeah if you have a sump were the water fluctuates a lot it will affect your skimmers performance
Old 12/29/2007, 02:07 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99
Yeah if you have a sump were the water fluctuates a lot it will affect your skimmers performance
Not with a recirc
Old 12/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Exactly that is what i was trying to say and why i suggested the Recirc on the 1st page
Old 12/29/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I guess I'm leaning toward Octopus 150 recirc. It's going to be my choice if it's quiet.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

go with a algae turf scrubber.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnavor180
go with a algae turf scrubber.
what is it? linky?
Old 12/30/2007, 12:02 AM
DIY Junkie

The ATS (algea turf scrubber) is a whole other concept of skimmerless filtration going back to berlin systems and plenums and such. They do have advantages, but their large size, noise, salt spray, and yellowing of the water tend to be their downfall. Also with an ATS you generally can't kepp as high a bioload. Most of what is accomplished with an ATS is done with fuges and growing Macro algea anymore.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

I think the water level problem is if you are installing the Tunze in your tank with out a sump.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:18 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Burns
I think the water level problem is if you are installing the Tunze in your tank with out a sump.
Now that's silly, who would put an in sump skimmer directly INSIDE of their display tank?

Actually, some people don't have a constant level copmpartment in their sump and have to place the skimmer in the return compartment where all of the water level fluctuations form evaporation and topoff happen.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:42 AM
Reef Ready

I have the smaller 110 recirc and I find that the air intake is a bit noisier than I would like. I'm going to try some kind of silencer, but I wouldn't say that it's quiet.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Tunze skimmers are made to go in sump or in the tank for people who don't want a sump.