Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 12/24/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Emperor Angel not eatting

I have my new emp. in a Q tank right now ( for 4 days now) he's about 4 to 5" and has his adult colors. He did eat at the store before I bought him (which is why I got him). He does look to be picking at stuff everyonce in while and I have seen him poop(lol) What can I do to get him to eat again?
Old 12/24/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

What are you feeding him? and what was he eating at the store? maybe matching exactly what they were feeding it at the store, or using live brine or something could help.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Try New Life Spectrum Pellets (Thera A)

Check water parameters and try New Life Spectrum Pellets (Thera A). I feed my emperor the jumbo pellets. He loves them.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

your water will be different from the lfs. Let him adjust to it first. Try brine shrimp at first to get him feeding....then start introducing other foods. Make sure your water is top-notch during the first 2 weeks.

If he is picking at the rocks etc etc...its a good sign.

All my angels were like that at first.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

I think the store has been feeding BRINE SHRIMP I have tried feeding almost everything. I also have feed Spectrum Pellets he will look at the food but not eat it. maybe his eating it after I stop watching him. I also am trying Higke(sp) mega angle food(frozen food) and freshwater mysis. hopefully he will chill out and start to eat more. I really took on too much at one time I also have a clown trigger I have in a different tank that I just got. He is doing great ( but I got him form a friend that is moving).
Old 12/25/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Are you adding garlic to the food? Try that? I just got my emperor yesterday (3" juvi), he didn't eat at first but probably because the boss of the tank, a 6" passer, had him spooked. Now all the fish have settled down (also added a 4" chocolate tang and a 4" purple tang). My emperor ate today, a mix of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, emerald entree, angel&butterfly diet and algae sheets. I soak all my food in garlic and also add vitamins. He should be eating very soon. Like everyone else said, check your water parameters and give him some time. What size tank is he in? Does he have any cover?
Old 12/25/2007, 02:23 AM
Premium Member

yeah he has some PVC in the tank right now to hide. I have him in a 30g quarantine tank. Which I have a 55g quarantine tank cycling right now so hopefully he makes it a couple of weeks and will move him there. can I use any garlic (food grade) or need to find some at LFS?
Old 12/25/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

i would get the kind you get at your LFS like lugols or seacheam....not like human garlic...and yes picking at the rocks is a very good sign,im sure as long as your parmeters are good he will be eating in no time.....mysis,brine,algae sheet pieces or something...its just a matter of time
Old 12/25/2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

thats something else I was wondering about, algae sheet's I think he is eatting some of that. I hope you guys are right, I know he will be happy in the main tank lots of room..lol