Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 11:48 PM
Lap San

OT,it's better to build or buy those name brand desk top computer

it's time for a new desk top.any hook up?i kinda like the new 24 inhes Mac.but i already have a 28 inches monitor on the way.any sugestion is welcome.i have 90 days to return that 28 inches monitor.Thanks in advance

lapsan
Old 11/25/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

I would build your own. Check out www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com Both are reputable and very good customer service.

I just finished pricing a mid range set-up (AMD 64 bit 2.6Ghz) and without monitor/keyboard/mouse I was looking at about $550.

You can use www.tomshardware.com to caompare different processors, video cards, harddrives etc. to se which one works best for your needs.

I've built 3 computers this way and saved tons. The last two I built for work cost about 3K each, but way out performed the top of the line dell priced at over $5500.

The only drawback is if you run into problems you don't have a "help line" to call.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by webbstock
I would build your own. Check out www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com Both are reputable and very good customer service.

I just finished pricing a mid range set-up (AMD 64 bit 2.6Ghz) and without monitor/keyboard/mouse I was looking at about $550.

You can use www.tomshardware.com to caompare different processors, video cards, harddrives etc. to se which one works best for your needs.

I've built 3 computers this way and saved tons. The last two I built for work cost about 3K each, but way out performed the top of the line dell priced at over $5500.

The only drawback is if you run into problems you don't have a "help line" to call.
A couple more things (great suggestions btw, I also built mine as well and got a porshe (3 years ago) for the price of a pinto) -

Are you computer literate? Have you installed windows before? Are you comfortable playing around in the system BIOS? - This can be a (frustrating? intimidating? overwhelming?) learning experience if you haven't done this before... don't walk away if you haven't - just realize there is a steeper learning curve. Bringing up the newer MBs that have 25 different possible BIOS settings for RAID, JBOD, Drives, etc... can really be confusing. There's also a lot of fun and satisfaction when you finally get that "windows" screen.

One piece that most people overlook is a 3.5" floppy drive... Floppy drive you say? What on earth for? Well, to flash your BIOS, you may have to have a working computer nearby with internet access (that also has a 3.5" drive) and get the latest BIOS and RAID driver settings - and then boot off the 3.5" drive into DOS to load/flash the new bios.

Lastly, before you do anything, there is an awesome forum, complete with "help me buy/build" and "free clinic" over at http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/index.php - I would have never attempted, nor been successful in tripping my way through the process without the support group there (think "reef central - for computer geeks").

- Jeff
Old 11/26/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

build is better :P
Old 11/26/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

just pm'ed you
Old 11/26/2007, 03:37 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

Build for less price better puter. Pay more for less hassle. Look at it that way. My guess is that since your into reefkeeping and probably love to tinker. So build would be the way for you.

Chris
Old 11/26/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

I have always built my own PC's in the past but ever since I purchased my Mac 4 months ago I'm never going back to a PC again. You'll pay more for an Apple but I think it's worth the extra $$$.

Elos 70 (30"x22.5"x20)

Semi-Cube (36"36"x24" old setup)

DIY Stand Build Thread
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1207997

Last edited by nanoguy; 11/26/2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:51 PM
Resident physicist.

Depends what you want to do with your computer, if you don't care about higher end graphics cards and the like building isn't always better. Once you factor in the cost of a decent case, video card, cpu, mother board you're upwards of the cost of a cheap Dell type computer. I absolutely would agree pound for pound a built one is cheaper, but again if you don't need a lot of that other stuff it might be a waste.

That being said I will build my own, simply because I do like that extra garbage
Old 11/26/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

While we're talking about computers, I need to build a new graphics machine. I'm looking at either Dual or quadcore and I'm wonderring what everyone else thinks about the two compaired.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

How about laptops? Same sites?

Scott
Old 11/26/2007, 03:14 PM
who?

If you need it for business and/or need support I would buy it. If not build away! Time is also money though, so don't forget to figure whatever your time is worth into the equation.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 11/26/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How about laptops? Same sites?
They do sell laptops, however I have not compared their prices to other retailers. They also carry some laptop upgrades, like memory or drives.

GreshamH From what I've read quad core does out perform dual core (duh!) but the average user wouldn't really notice it. Besides for quad core you'll be spending about twice as much for not too much "apparent effect". You'd probably be better off spending the extra money on better motherboard, graphics card etc. One trap lots off people fall into when building their own computer is to buy a top of the line processor and then stick it in a lousy motherboard or use low quality RAM, video card etc.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Thing is I can find cheaper quad cores and more expensive dual cores. I've been looking at different Dells and the higher end graphic machines seem to not be quads but rather duals.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:34 PM
Resident physicist.

Is your graphics software actually optimized to take advantage of the quad core? Planning on running dual video cards SLI mode?
Old 11/26/2007, 08:03 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Lap - if you're looking for an all in one machine for you and your family to use at home that will not take up real estate on your desk then I would say the iMac is the better choice.

I am so glad to be free from viruses and .dll files. Not to start an argument, but after having to rebuild a machine software wise from the ground up for the umpteenth time many years ago I made the switch and have not looked back.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:38 PM
Moved On

ubid dot com has some great deals if you know what you're looking for and what it's worth. computers are really so cheap nowadays.