Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

FWIW I contacted David at CoralVue when I was looking for an Octopus skimmer and he told me to go to CustomAquatics. I orderd from them and they could not have been more helpful or professional. I had seen Marine Solutions's website and just had a bad feeling about ordering from them. plus I have also heard about the "cheaper" Octopus skimmer from other posts I have read. Sorry for your bad experience tkeracer619.
Old 10/15/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I've been there done that and here is what I believe to be true (I could be wrong) ...

The skimmers from Coralvue and those from Marine Solutions are indeed from the same manufacturer (PCI as well). They are the same skimmer. You are just either getting them from an authorized Coralvue seller or you are getting an SWC labeled skimmer from Marine Solutions. So, who is going to better take care of you should there be a problem? Coralvues dealers or Marine Solutions. I know the answer to that and it's not for me to say. Then there is the representation of the skimmer by Marine Solutions. IMHO, it does lead one to believe that they are buying the Coralvue product and getting the customer support that Corlavue would provide. But there again, that is just my opinion, everyone has their own perspective.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:14 PM
phins are on the clock

I can't believe they wanted to send you a new cup when the skimmer itself has problems. You pay good money and expect good service.
Watch out, there might be lead in the paint since it's from china.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Here is a very good reason to only buy from good reputable companies. These companies that import cheap crap from China have next to no contact with the actual manufacturing. Why is this particular problem just popping up? I bet it's because these skimmers have been manufactured by multiple different manufacturers over time. Some of them might have actually done a decent job and those who bought the skimmers at the time were quite pleased with the results. They tell their friends how great a deal they got and more and more people start buying them. Then they start manufacturing at a plant that cuts more corners and outputs some seriously inferior garbage. Now you have what happens in this thread. It is simply a crap-shoot when dealing with these types of imports. The importer kinda gets screwed in the deal because it's doubtful that they'll get any restitution from the manufacturer. But I don't feel sorry for them because they should know what they are getting into. Who I feel sorry for is the people who spend good money to buy a product that doesn't even hold up for a week.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:51 PM
I like sticks in my tank

I would like to point out again that Marine Solutions has offered up a replacement skimmer - not just the cup.
Old 10/15/2007, 08:13 PM
phins are on the clock

That's because of this forum. Kudos to marine solutions for doing the right thing.
Old 10/15/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

I can tell you this forum has nothing to do with him getting a replacement unit. We have replaced more than one skimmer in the last 3 years that we have been offering products on the web. We are not a new company, we have been in business for nearly 14 years now. We were here yesterday, we will be here tomorrow.

As for different versions of the skimmers, as far as one being better than the other. I have heard that some have different plumbing sizes. I know that there are different sizes of impellers that have been offered lately - this is dependent on when the reseller received the product.

There will soon be an "Extreme" version of the skimmer coming out within the next couple of months, these will include Sicce pumps (the same ones utilized by the ATI Bubble Master).
Old 10/15/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I ordered my NW-200 almost 2 weeks ago. It had a broken Impeller!!! For OVER A WEEK now I have been callling and emailing Marince Solutions. NO RESPONSE. I email Coral Vue and they will be happy to provide a new impeller at a discount. Here is a copy of what I got from Coral Vue.

BTW... My acrylic is fine no cracks or anything.

(email from the President of Vue)
Hello Christopher

I am really sorry for the trouble you are having. We are not associated with marine solutions in anyway. They are selling skimmers using our Octopus name and this is confusing to our customers as they have also taken the domain name www.octopusskimmer.com. If you look on Reef Central you will see a thread started today from another customer that received a damaged skimmer from them. Not until this customer started this thread on Reef Central did marine solutions contact them to offer support. The best I can do for you is to offer you a new needle wheel for your pump at a discounted price. I am sorry for the trouble this company has caused you. We are not getting between 3 and 5 calls or emails a week with customers having the same problems with these guys. Here is a link to the thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1228569

Please make a post letting customers know about your experience with Marine Solutions and you should get a response and possibly a replacement part from them.

If they will not help you let me know and we will help you with the needle wheel replacement.

David
Old 10/15/2007, 08:52 PM
phins are on the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by dphinsx2
That's because of this forum. Kudos to marine solutions for doing the right thing.
I take back what I said. They sound very stuck up and I am glad I do my business with a reputable company like premium aquatics!
Old 10/15/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

PA is where I picked up my octo 150....very nice!
Old 10/15/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ckusnierek
I ordered my NW-200 almost 2 weeks ago. It had a broken Impeller!!! For OVER A WEEK now I have been callling and emailing Marince Solutions. NO RESPONSE. I email Coral Vue and they will be happy to provide a new impeller at a discount. Here is a copy of what I got from Coral Vue.

Hello Christopher

I am really sorry for the trouble you are having. We are not associated with marine solutions in anyway. They are selling skimmers using our Octopus name and this is confusing to our customers as they have also taken the domain name www.octopusskimmer.com. If you look on Reef Central you will see a thread started today from another customer that received a damaged skimmer from them. Not until this customer started this thread on Reef Central did marine solutions contact them to offer support. The best I can do for you is to offer you a new needle wheel for your pump at a discounted price. I am sorry for the trouble this company has caused you. We are not getting between 3 and 5 calls or emails a week with customers having the same problems with these guys. Here is a link to the thread.

Please make a post letting customers know about your experience with Marine Solutions and you should get a response and possibly a replacement part from them.

If they will not help you let me know and we will help you with the needle wheel replacement.

David
wow... first post... i wonder why...
Old 10/15/2007, 09:38 PM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

Quote:
Originally posted by daytonreefRob
I can tell you this forum has nothing to do with him getting a replacement unit. We have replaced more than one skimmer in the last 3 years that we have been offering products on the web. We are not a new company, we have been in business for nearly 14 years now. We were here yesterday, we will be here tomorrow.

As for different versions of the skimmers, as far as one being better than the other. I have heard that some have different plumbing sizes. I know that there are different sizes of impellers that have been offered lately - this is dependent on when the reseller received the product.

There will soon be an "Extreme" version of the skimmer coming out within the next couple of months, these will include Sicce pumps (the same ones utilized by the ATI Bubble Master).
My OTP3000 pump stopped working about two months after I purchased from Marine Solutions (DNW-200) I emailed them probably a dozen times with no response. Finally got through on the phone and was told that they wouldn't replace the pump that "how do we know it wasn't a mod that went bad" MESHMOD is what i'm sure they were referring to. I told them that I have never even cleaned the skimmer yet that it just stopped and there should be a warranty of some sort. Went back and forth for about 10 mins got a little heated and was told there was nothing they could do for me and hung up on me.

This was probably almost a year ago so I see that they still have "EXCELLENT" customer suopport.

I wouldn't buy a cup of water from them if my mouth was on fire!

Called Coralvue and they were very helpful and sold me a complete pump for half of what the normally charge and told me the same story about this particular vendor.
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 10/15/2007, 10:36 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Quote:

Hello Christopher

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1228569

David

Quote:
wow... first post... i wonder why...

my thoughts exactly! what gave it away was the typo, you said 'not' instead of 'now'

nice try, easy way to get banned though

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 10/15/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

for $500 i wouldnt even want a replacment.. it seems you are getting an octopus skimmer which you are really not. You will get the same junk.

For that money i would get a DAS EX2, these are great skimmers.

I would just ge your money backa nd move on
Old 10/15/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd

my thoughts exactly! what gave it away was the typo, you said 'not' instead of 'now'

nice try, easy way to get banned though
I'm confused??? Am I being accused of somthing????
Listen I am having a problem with MarineSolutions. I came here looking for help. The only reason I came here was the email I received form coral vue. I am a long time member of TRT with 1300+ posts. To come here for help and be accused of somthing is rediculas. I will just stick to TRT If this is how RC treats ppl
Old 10/16/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Sometimes people make new accounts to trash other people without any reasoning. If you make a negative post as your first post then the conspiricy theorists tend to show themselves.

It's best to ignore them, since the only people who know if you have another account are the moderators.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 10/16/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I had an Octopus DNW-200 and I have to say I loved the skimmer. I had a friend that purchased a Octopus skimmer from Marine Solutions also known as www.octopusskimmerm.com When he received the skimmer it appeared to have been used! He tried contacting Marine solutions by phone and email for two weeks. I am not sure if his ordeal was ever resolved, but when I was looking to purchase one of these skimmers he told me
whatever I do, don't buy anything from marine solutions. I decided to call Coralvue personally for a list of their resellers. They told me to make sure that the Octopus skimmer I purchased came in a true Octopus skimmer box which has the Octopus art work on the box. They told me anything with a Canada address on the box is not a true octopus product and they could not
offer the manufacturer warranty or customer support that is offered with a true octopus product.

I think it is interesting to point out that marine solutions is the
same company that has the domain name www.asmskimmer.com I was told by the owner of my LFS that ASM cut sales off to marine solutions because they would not obey the MSRP they set on the skimmers and consumers thought they were purchasing ASM skimmers directly from the manufacturer. It looks like once marine solutions got cut off from ASM they went after the Octopus product line and did the samething by taking the domain name www.octopusskimmer.com Their prices are lower than all other online resellers of octopus skimmers but it is not worth dealing with a company like this. There are a lot of reputable online companies that sell Octopus skimmers and I am sure they are purchasing them through Coralvue which gives me peace of mind knowing if I have a problem or need a spare part I can contact them or one of the authorized resellers. Just my
thoughts on this situation.

I hope this thread will help other to be aware of companies like Marine Solutions. If your looking at getting an Octo skimmer, purchase it from a reputable dealer or call Coralvue and they can direct you to one.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ckusnierek

Hello Christopher

David
I didnt think you were off base i thought you were showing frustration with marine soluion like everyone else

I would and i have placed my last 2 orders with premium aquatics, they are the best, period. they carry tons of stuff, will pricematch it all and customer service is the best i have ever seen.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the warning. I don't need this kind of jackassery when buying a $500 skimmer.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:33 AM
saltwater in my veins

lol.. I'll be buying from them real soon.. yeh..

All the RC sponsers are awesome from my experience, I have pretty much used them all and all of them go above and beyond. Just stick with RC sponsers for zero headaches. In the case of Octopus products, just go to Premium Aquatics.

Last edited by HBtank; 10/16/2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10/16/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Just a side note on the structural integrity of "crazed" acrylic. I work on airliners for a living, when we find a passenger window crazed at heavy check, it gets replaced for appearance only. They may fly for nearly a year being pressurized. This proves that it will not "fall apart" as commonly thought. I would be ticked if I spent that kind of money and it started crazing right off.
I would not use vinegar again though, it is an acid and can react and attack the acrylic.
Bill
Old 10/16/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmb527
I would not use vinegar again though, it is an acid and can react and attack the acrylic.
Bill
I have used vinegar in to clean my skimmer since I got into the hobby, and never had acrylic craze on me. The cheapest of the cheapest skimmer manufacturers never crazed. I modded half a dozen Octo skimmers and after modification I give everyone of them a run in vinegar, and still have not seen this happen. I even give my Aqua Euro Usa a cleaning with vinegar every other month to get the coraline out.

I have only witnessed crazing in older acrylic and in some skimmer that ran ozone. Am I lucky that It has not happend, and should not use Vinegar?
Old 10/16/2007, 09:59 AM
I like sticks in my tank

I have always used vinegar as well and have never had any problems with it.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
Here is a very good reason to only buy from good reputable companies. These companies that import cheap crap from China have next to no contact with the actual manufacturing. Why is this particular problem just popping up? I bet it's because these skimmers have been manufactured by multiple different manufacturers over time. Some of them might have actually done a decent job and those who bought the skimmers at the time were quite pleased with the results. They tell their friends how great a deal they got and more and more people start buying them. Then they start manufacturing at a plant that cuts more corners and outputs some seriously inferior garbage. Now you have what happens in this thread. It is simply a crap-shoot when dealing with these types of imports. The importer kinda gets screwed in the deal because it's doubtful that they'll get any restitution from the manufacturer. But I don't feel sorry for them because they should know what they are getting into. Who I feel sorry for is the people who spend good money to buy a product that doesn't even hold up for a week.

thats pretty insulting with the China comment, especially when a lot of US consumer products are made in China.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

As long as daytonreefRob is responding to this thread, can you answer why there is a price difference between how the NW150 is listed on www.octopusskimmer.com ($125.99), and then when you click on it you get taken to www.marinesolutionsinc.com where the price is "$149.99 - $154.99"?