Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Wondering when I will be able to post a thread like this ..
Old 10/14/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
Thanks dude. Do you have a link to the HQI Lumenarcs or the Reeflux 12ks? I definitely want to run 250 d/e hqi bulbs btw.
Here you go Sang,

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc.htm

The thing is, there is no point in posting a picture with the lights on because the colors get distorted in the photo.

Sanjay did a few tests and iirc, the lumenarcs are pretty good. I use 2 on my 300.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

I didn't know you were out of the hobby, Elite. What happened?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionicdragon
Here you go Sang,

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc.htm

The thing is, there is no point in posting a picture with the lights on because the colors get distorted in the photo.

Sanjay did a few tests and iirc, the lumenarcs are pretty good. I use 2 on my 300.
Ahh, the light fixtures. I thought they were a type of bulb!
Old 10/14/2007, 11:50 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Don't worry, you guys will probly see Phong here soon enough.. he still viewing reefcentral.. so I know the itch is killing you phong... just plung back in...

" Charles V "
Old 10/14/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite
Wondering when I will be able to post a thread like this ..
very soon buddy...your 210 is collecting dust
Old 10/14/2007, 11:55 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Just scratch that itch PHONG

" Charles V "
Old 10/15/2007, 12:44 AM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Thanks Mark! Btw, I am taking deposits on the sale of my future hardware and livestock. Boy, I sound like Kinetic!!!
Haha lol sang. People form their own lines!! =PpPpP I guess for good reason haha.

Glad you're getting back into it!

Btw: I was doing a search on the Spectras, but none of the usuals carried it. I think they used to be around, but may have been discontinued, at least in the states?

I saw a european company selling the spectras as a 2x400 halide with t5 supplements, but that's all I found on first glance.

I believe you can order them sans ballasts, and go with whatever SE bulb wattage you want given you get the right ballast.

I went with the 175watt Iwasaki 15K's and Aquactinics fixture. Not the pretties, but it's not ugly either. The Iwasakis, like you and others know will get you the 250watt PAR ratings or more with an icecap elec. ballast.

Did you look into Jesse's lighting fixtures too? They're not too shabby... get it painted with Ferrari paint

... Btw there's some flak about the Sfiligoli's having major fuse issues (talk to Fliger), and Giesemann over some of their warranty support issues. But that's just hearsay so I'm not too sure on the details, but be cautious. I guess that goes for all purchases =P

Also, if you go BB on your tank, look into having ELOS make a pvc bottom for you over the bottom glass. The 120 has a multi-piece bottom, thus it flexes a bit (so when there's an earthquake or your stand is kinda off etc you'll be ok). It also looks a little ugly if you're going BB, you can see the black silicon and since it's multi-layered, it's also glued together. The bottom silicon is kind of sloppy IMO, though every other silicon on that tank is flawless. So consider the PVC bottom if you will go BB... and even if you don't, maybe it also helps.

also, if you don't end up getting the sump from ELOS as well... and go with SoCalCreations for the stand, you can have them make you a rimless sump system. They have some insane sump building skills
Old 10/15/2007, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Kinetic. I'm going try to visit Jesse tomorrow and make a decision on the stand. Lighting is still up in the air as well. I've been doing some research on live rock and the Lalo rock sold by fosters and smith looks nice. Anyone ever seen Lalo rock before?
Old 10/15/2007, 01:52 AM
Tailspot Blenny

When you go see Jesse, have him pull out a door for you, he has a stash that's not attached to the stands yet so you can get a good feel of them. they're pretty sturdy and strong, but a tad heavy. He may also have a nice ferrari red door still sitting around. Those are cool =)
Old 10/15/2007, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hmm, I am not so sure I can live with the color of the base rock, lol! I know coralline will spread eventually, but it would take a few months. Hmm, I wonder if people have any before and after pics of their tank using marco rocks?
I think Lap used it for his tank.He could post some pic. but maybe a few in the BAR site when he was part of the tank tour.He give me a some base rock for my next tank.
Old 10/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Hi Sang,
Great news and welcome back. Your BM is pulling gunk out of Marcorock base rock. I have both origin, Fiji and Tonga. They are basically dead LR. I found dead crab, algae and other critters in the rocks. PM me your e-mail and I will send you pics of the rocks and my tank that currently cycling that use 100% marcorocks (seeding it with LR).
Old 10/15/2007, 02:37 PM
AIM: reefer on a budget

damn sang...are you truly an addict to come back again...sounds like an ex gf u cant say no to..lol jp. welcome back and hopefully u keep it that way.

on the other hand, i am perfectly happy retired from the hobby and have sold off even the equipment i planned on keeping for another setup.
Old 10/15/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radiolunatic
Hi Sang,
Great news and welcome back. Your BM is pulling gunk out of Marcorock base rock. I have both origin, Fiji and Tonga. They are basically dead LR. I found dead crab, algae and other critters in the rocks. PM me your e-mail and I will send you pics of the rocks and my tank that currently cycling that use 100% marcorocks (seeding it with LR).
Glad to hear it Roy! Is your tank set up with 100% marco rock?
Old 10/15/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer on a budget
damn sang...are you truly an addict to come back again...sounds like an ex gf u cant say no to..lol jp. welcome back and hopefully u keep it that way.

on the other hand, i am perfectly happy retired from the hobby and have sold off even the equipment i planned on keeping for another setup.
LOL! That's a damn near perfect analogy, Alex. I gotta remember that one! Believe me, I couldn't say no to her.... Anyways, yeah, I am a nut. I'm driving to Elos today to check out a couple tanks.
Old 10/15/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Glad to hear it Roy! Is your tank set up with 100% marco rock?
Yes, Sang. 100% Marcorock. I put some LR on the sump and also pieces in the main tank itself. The tank is in the garage, so the tank is cycling in the dark. I can e-mail you the pics. I am entering the fourth week of cycling now and I can see my nitrite is going down now.
Old 10/15/2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Man, I am just starting to price live rock from the LFS, and damn! On my last tank, I bought 150lbs of Marshall Island rock from Jeffs Exotic fish and paid around $3.00/lb. Most stores are charging $5-$7/lb for inferior rock! I guess it might be time to mail order or go with the Marco rocks.
Old 10/15/2007, 04:12 PM
August TFR Relay '07

welcome back bud!
Old 10/15/2007, 04:18 PM
Lap San

Alex keep saying He's wouldn't be back.He's hung out here more then me.Alex be back before u know.

lapsan
Old 10/15/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tfp
welcome back bud!
Thanks bro!
Old 10/15/2007, 05:48 PM
AIM: reefer on a budget

Quote:
Originally posted by orientalexpress
Alex keep saying He's wouldn't be back.He's hung out here more then me.Alex be back before u know.

lapsan
i go on just when im extremely bored from the other forums i visit. u can find me on the obvious mustang, mma and real estate sites..lol
i also have another thread about some timeshare id like to share w/ everyone..what would be a better place to spam than RC? i will just live vicariously through all your tanks...thanks

sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Well, the deed is done! My tank from Elos should be here next week! What a cool guy Jesse is. I just came back from his shop and had a great time.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:52 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Are you getting the 120xl? The whole shebang?
Old 10/15/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

Hey Kinetic, I decided to go with the 120xl, stand, and plumbing fixtures. I didn't get the sump or skimmer as I ordered an H&S skimmer. I still need to order my sump.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:58 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

dammmmm... Elos, I am so jealous.

Yes go with the MARCO rocks.. I am soon...

" Charles V "