Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 09/06/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Bleaching Montis

I have a tank that contains various montis, acros, and numerous soft coral. Everything's been normal for the last year or so until I started noticing that some of my montis (plating/branching) had begun to show minor bleaching. Not my acros, just most of the montis.

I thought this was strange and began looking for any possible culprits like nudibranches, without success. There aren't any and I don't see any other obvious parasites on them.

Also, everything else looks normal. Any ideas about a pathogen that would be so specific to the montis?

Thanks-Mike
Old 09/06/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Check your lighting = age of bulbs, specifically any ho of vho actinis.
Old 09/06/2007, 03:18 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I had the same problem. Changed bulbs, did water changes. Nothing. Just pulled out my large green cap skeleton last night

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/06/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

But, why would the lighting only affect the montis? My acros are even growing under the current ones.
Old 09/06/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Light bulb CHANGE....montis don't need much in the way of light particularly compared to acros....a light bulb change or anything increasing light output can bleach them IME
Old 09/06/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I just experienced this as well, it was right after a fresh carbon change and I added Po4 remover to the tank. kinda like blotches of my caps were missing.
Old 09/07/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Light bulb CHANGE....montis don't need much in the way of light particularly compared to acros....a light bulb change or anything increasing light output can bleach them IME
I haven't upgraded my lights in the last year. I'm still using the same type and wattage. They definitely aren't getting bleached by too much light. I wish I could upgrade, that just hasn't happened, yet. It doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon, either, unless I can get this situation corrected.

It did seem that it slowed downa little with my last water change, though. Any other ideas?
Old 09/07/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitroq2
I just experienced this as well, it was right after a fresh carbon change and I added Po4 remover to the tank. kinda like blotches of my caps were missing.
Carbon...increased water clarity(particularly on a dirtier tank)....more light....bleaching.

PO4 remover......alkalinity drop...unknowing aquarist....recession

please don't blame it on the GFO as you should know that upon initial use it can cause alk and ph drops quite a bit and the aquarist should adjust accordingly
Old 09/07/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speckled trout
I haven't upgraded my lights in the last year. I'm still using the same type and wattage. They definitely aren't getting bleached by too much light. I wish I could upgrade, that just hasn't happened, yet. It doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon, either, unless I can get this situation corrected.

It did seem that it slowed downa little with my last water change, though. Any other ideas?

Nipping? Angels? Blennies? What kind of fish ya got?

Coral warfare maybe?

Nudis?

the list can go on
Old 09/07/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

I am having the same problem. I pulled a piece of a very large Green Monti out and put it in a seperate container after looking over it real well. Once the water fowled I found a bunch of small white parasites in the bottom of the container. They look like small white brine shrimp with more legs. Anyone have any ideas? Can Monties be dipped in fresh water or salt water with Lugols to get rid of parasites? I have a six line wrasse in the tank and he is not browsing on the colonies at all.

Clint
Old 09/10/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

I have a blennie but have never noticed any nipping. He does however "perch" on some of them occassionally. However, the digis seem the most of affected, particulary my orange ones and he never perches on them.

I haven't noticed any nipping by the rest of the fish and haven't discovered any nudis, either.

Coral warfare- The affected corals are widely dispersed throughout the tank. Also, none of the other corals are showing any adverse affects and one of my plating orange montis tries to recover once an area has shown bleaching. Several areas on it have turned white only to return to an orangish color that is a little lighter.

This has been ongoing for several months.

Down for the count:
1. green plating monti
2. several small orange digi colonies
3. several green digis
4. pink digi - large colony
5. purple digi

Down but not out:
1. Purple plating monti
2. several green digis
3. orange plating monti
Old 09/10/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

sounds like the carbon took out all your iodine which corals use to neutralze free radicals that build up in its tissues as a result of photosynthiesis ,.........where's the lugols??