Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2006, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up MASLAC August Meeting!

Hey Everyone,

This Saturday, August 12 at 6:30 p.m., MASLAC will have its August meeting at Salads Galore in Encino. Our featured speaker will be Randy from SoCal Creations, manufacturers of custom acrylic aquariums. The topic will be acrylic maintenance and scratch removal. Here is a great opportunity for you to learn how to avoid those annoying scratches on your acrylic aquarium.

We will also have a featured tank presentation from Ken Lunde. He will share his awesome new system for the first time.

There will also be two brief vendor presentations from John Warner of Warner Marine and Jim Newman from Makin' Waves.

Of course, we have our fantastic raffle to end a fantastic night!
Remember, your raffle purchases help bring out future speakers and fun club activities. And, speaking of future presentations, here is our upcoming Fall Schedule:

September: The one and only Bob Fenner author of many hobby books and articles, visits MASLAC for the first time in
several years!

October: Sarah Lardizabal will speak on seagrasses in the
aquarium.

November: Adam Blundell will talk about "What is Reef Safe?".

If you are thinking about becoming involved in the MASLAC planning committee, we will hold our board meeting at 5:30 p.m. before the general meeting. Please come and join us! We are actively looking for new members to join the board.

There is a lot going on in MASLAC so be a part of it!

Regards,
Scott F.
President
Old 08/07/2006, 10:05 PM
Fish Yenta

Hey, Scott, how's the seagrass tank coming?
Old 08/07/2006, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Hi Nicole:

Finally have the tank in (just last week). It's really beautiful. Of course, I need to get some water in there! I'll be working on the plumbing next, and then, hopefully, I'll be up and running by September! The biology part is what I'm really looking forward to...It's this plumbing and hardware stuff that's driving me nuts!

A certain seagrass expert I know will be in town in October for some on-site consultation, so I think if I pressure myself to get the yucky stuff done, I'll be rearin' to go real soon!

How is your Halophila growing?

Hope to see you in October!

Scott
Old 08/07/2006, 10:54 PM
Moved On

What a club......lot's of exciting things going on.... I wouldn't miss it!
Dennis
Old 08/07/2006, 11:03 PM
Fish Yenta

Quote:

A certain seagrass expert I know will be in town in October for some on-site consultation, so I think if I pressure myself to get the yucky stuff done, I'll be rearin' to go real soon!

How is your Halophila growing?
The Halodule and Halophila has just stabalized, and then I downsize and moved them again. It's too soon to say if they will die back and regrow again, if they're not stress, or if I killed them.

One thing in the big tank I had a problem with was coralline growing on the algae and killing it. I don't know if that was because it wasn't vigorous enough yet to fight it of, or if it had little defense since coralline isn't really lagoonal algae.
Old 08/07/2006, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Let's hope that it comes back!

Did you get any native mud with the Halodule? That's the searass I'm going to start with, then work in the Halophila and maybe some Syringodium....And I can't resist throwing in some Halimeda in for macroalgae representation!

Lots to do, but looking forward to it! I hope that you cna make it up here in October when Sarah comes!

Scott
Old 08/07/2006, 11:27 PM
Fish Yenta

No, no native mud, just the baggie of plants Sarah sent me. I did mix in some Biosediment to get some nice fine sand in with my Southdown, and I am also using fertilizer pellets in the sand.
Old 08/08/2006, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I was going to join that date. But I need to work Saturday
Old 08/08/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

I was looking forward to this one but I have a wedding to go to....