Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

seaclone protein skimmer

hi everyone, i was thinking about getting a seaclone protein skimmer, ive been running skimmerless for the last year and recently ive had an outbreak of red slime algae, ive tried adding macro and doing water changes but nothing seems to help, it just comes right back. so ive decided to give in and get a skimmer, i like this one because its cheap, im still in high school with no job and having to pay for gas for my car, and seeing as how everything for my tank comes out of my pocket, this seems to be the best buy, being at $65 as the cheapest ive found. but my question is, my 90 gallon is 4 inches from the wall and i was wondering, would the skimmer fit in this space without having to move the tank? i would want it to be as a hang on sice i have a lot of equipment in the tank already. i do not have a sump, and my fuge is a separate tank in my basement. ive looked all over online trying to find the size measurements of this skimmer and no luck at all, everything i find is just " helps to remove organic wastes from your aquarium." i was looking at this skimmer at petsmart today and remember it having some size to it, and enough to raise a question whether or not it will be big enough, so if anyone has this skimmer (the 100 version) could u please tell me if it will fit in the 4 in i have? thank you for your time.
Old 03/13/2005, 08:19 PM
Moved On

truth be known even with extensive modification the seaclone isn't going to cut it on your tank, don't waste the $$$ on it, save and get a Remora pro if thats all you can get, it will fit in the space allowed on your tank as well.

myself, i dont much care for the CPR bakpak eitehr......

kc
Old 03/13/2005, 08:19 PM
IM KING NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

the seaclones suck go with a cpr bakpak
Old 03/13/2005, 08:34 PM
Explorer

atleast the bakpak has some contact time, the seaclone on the other hand is just a waste

well, waste as skimmers go, but I had one that is a carbon/phosban reactor

sam
Old 03/13/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

To actually answer your ?. Yes it will fit. My seaclone 100 works just fine, it is only a 37 gallon with light bio load though.
Old 03/13/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

thanks FFFrog
Old 03/13/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

My seaclone works well also. It worked good, and I decided to try one of the mods, which was to cut the tube that sticks up into the cup about a 1/4 inch, and it produces a little more now. I like it. I may go with something else down the road, at least a little easier to clean, but I'm happy with this one. 2 years running now.
Old 03/13/2005, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Euro Reef, all the way, you get what you pay for. I had a home made 4ft tall skimmer for several years, worked great it just took 2 hours once a month to clean. Euro reef takes just a few min to clean and works great. Good luck.
Old 03/13/2005, 10:22 PM
Explorer

sorry for the seaclone users, but the design is a bad one, no matter how you cut it,

when people said they work "fine", "good", are they really making a comparison to what a good skimmer procudes?

my answer is no, have used it and would recommend everyone so they don't waste their money on it,

making mods to improve performace should tell it all,

all in all, just my opinion thats all,

sam
Old 03/13/2005, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

im with nunez- even though my seaclone may work well, i have seen the stuff i could be pulling out. but, like many, money makes us settle. i am getting a better one though, probably an aquaC pro with the prefilter box.
just my opinion , too
ck
Old 03/14/2005, 04:11 PM
Eye on our reefs

I have a seclone that does the job, but I will be upgrading to the Turbofloater Multi at Christmas
Old 03/16/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Seaclone skimmers the skimmer we love to hate.I have one had it for over a year now just cut the inside tube down to 2inches long it works better now. If you have bought one dont be upset it will be ok for a while but if you havent and are thinking of getting one I would go for something better without a doubt.There kind of like records that you buy and only like one song on the whole thing beats me why the makers of seaclones dont fix them so they work better it wouldnt take much and it would save us the hassle of having to do it for them
Old 03/16/2005, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

I have both Seaclone versions.. one is on a 10 gallon the other is on a 55 gallon .

I have to say... They are a pain in the A**...

I am constantly having to adjust it.. Starts working fine and than just quits producing waste...

I will NEVER EVER by a SeaClone again....

My 3 cents.. Save YOUR Money....

If you have a spare cup of salt can you send some to Hollback... I hear he could use some... :)
Old 03/16/2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

This is what I mean why dont the guys who make them sit up an listen to us they need constant fixing and tweaking as said buy hundreds of people on the forums. It does amuse me though that they can get so slagged off and yet we still keep buying them and tinkering with them. Im quite fond of mine mybe in years to come they will be valued as retro skimmers
Old 03/16/2005, 05:10 PM
Explorer

guys, maybe the target was not knowledge reefers, but people that see it in action, and say "Man that looks so cool"

You think a newbe, would like a skimmer that makes skimate so nasty and smeally (wife complaining, ect) that stinks like hell

sam
Old 03/16/2005, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

im going to attempt to use the body for a DIY skimmer.
Old 03/16/2005, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

I too am going to turn my seaclone into a phosphate chamber and upgrade to aquac, or did i already say that?
ck
Old 03/16/2005, 07:03 PM
Local Lizard

Seaclone's are slightly better than Bakpak's in my book and a heck of a lot better than the dreaded skilter, but they are still a VERY low end skimmer and will cause nothing but headaches. Better off buying quality once than crap twice.

Quote:
Originally posted by BryanJ
I have a seclone that does the job, but I will be upgrading to the Turbofloater Multi at Christmas

I would also stay away from Turbofloater's...unless they have drastically changed their design (which i doubt), they are also a PITA! Aqua-C all the way.
Old 03/16/2005, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Here's a seaclone question ; in the viewable area between the bottom of the collection cup and the top of the body, where the water exits the skimmer, I have noticed that the water level rises and lowers the foam. It goes up and stays there for about 5 seconds then goes below this "viewable area" for about 10 seconds, and then back up again. Is this normal? Shouldn't thie water levle stay constant in the skimmer?
ck
Old 03/16/2005, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Chineseknife - My "un-modded" Seaclone 150 does the exact same thing. I inherited it with the used tank I purchased (a running 90G FO). I now have an AquaC EV180. I use the Seaclone as an aerator for a spare tank holding live sand. With a lot of fiddling, it will skim, but I too noticed the water level in it fluctuating. Hey, BTW... you coming to Saturday's Charlotte reef meeting?... www.rasoc.org

Bunifa - I know it's tough when every penny counts and you have a specific budget for something. But please save your money and buy something good used. The Seaclone is not worth much on a 90G. It will help aerate your water, and it will do some skimming, but the amount of skimming won't mean much, IME. Look for a good used skimmer. You can get a Remora or better. Even used, these will generally cost more than $65, but not necessarily significantly (depending on what/where you find) and the difference will be unbelievable if you had the luxury to compare the two side by side (Seaclone and a good skimmer). Maybe someone in a local reef club has something spare that they will help you out with. You could also make one for your price range, but IMO it's kind of hard to make something that you don't yet understand how it works or how exactly it's supposed to function. I would have made my first one, but didn't for this reason. After using a good skimmer for quite a while, I would probably make one now because I have a good feel for what it is supposed to do and how it is supposed to perform.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Greg
Old 03/16/2005, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Leaks

Anyone have any problems with their seaclone leaking? I was cleaning the prefilter and the intake tube just seperated from the body. All in all I'm happy with it but the design as far as the connections stinks. Any suggestions?
Old 03/16/2005, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Well, at least has come in handy for you,lol. And yes, I am going to try and make it to the meeting this Saturday, it will be my first if I do.
ck
Old 03/16/2005, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

I get pea-sized bubbles in the reaction chamber, even after going through it's cyclone, *laugh out loud*. Someone is sending me a bio-ball mod for the mj1200 it uses.
@kimmer- do you get those big bubbles to?
ck
Old 03/16/2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

thx everyone, i think im gonna start lookin around and savin 4 sumthin better, thx again 4 ur advice.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

This will make most of you laugh, but, the seclone 100 and 150 are still over $200 in Canada. They are carried at most small LFS, however, you never see them at a LFS dedicated to marine aquaria. That being said, I haven't had any problems with mine. I guess the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss" applies to me as I have never owned what most members of this forum call a real skimmer. I will definately be getting a real skimmer in the next 30 days for my new larger set up.