Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Rusting stand

Hi All,
I know this is not an advanced topic but I wanted to get opionions from guys and girls that have been around awaile. Anyone ever hear of a tank stand failing from rust?

Thanks

Joe Damone
Old 01/26/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

yes...eventually it will rust enough where the legs/or side/bottom supports will not be able to support it...depends on where the rust is though.....
Old 01/26/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Wow!! its rusting all over . House in general is moist but especialy the fish room.The stand is about 3 years old and cant say how long I have noticed the rust.Looks like just surface rust at this point but need to figure out a course of action.I would say where the legs meet the floor is the most rusty part. What would you do?

Thanks

Joe
Old 01/26/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

the tanks 125g?....sand the rust off to see how deep....if just surface...then sand it ll down and use Rust-O-Lium paint....(howvere, thats a temp fix).....
I would look at making a DIY retrofit wood stand......you dont want to have to move the tank unless you have to.....
you any good at woodworking...
Old 01/26/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

yes its a 125 . Woodworking is not my strong suite. But have some friends that are good and I may be able to get some help from. Is rustolium ok to use around a reef tank?

You may be able to get an idea from my webcam.

http://joeyfishes.viewnetcam.com:5000 and click single you can increase the size of the view

thanks

jd
Old 01/26/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

PS have you had one fail?

jd
Old 01/27/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Look up POR15. It won't rust anymore after that. That is, or course, if you follow the direction to the T.
Old 01/28/2007, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

thanks have you used this around a reef tank?

jd
Old 01/28/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

No, I have not used it in a reef tank, but if you are just putting it on the stand it should not matter. It is a moisture cured paint so it is only going to get stronger with the water contact. The only thing that is absolutely critical is to have the piece you are painting 100% dry. You have to use a blowdryer to do this. Even if it looks dry it is not. You really doin't even need most of their preparation products. If you are applying directly to steel it does not need much prep work. Just hit it with a wire brush. It does however HAVE to be in direct contact with the steel to work correctly.
Old 01/28/2007, 07:38 PM
Master Blaster

Just a though. I've done a fair amount of body work to cars and such in the past. I'm by no means a pro, but I remember using a product in the past called a rust converter. This product can be found in any auto parts store and claims to convert rust to a black primer that will not rust again. Sand, prime, paint and your done. I wouldn't use sprays around a running tank. Try to find some metal paint that you can brush on. I know I've seen it. hth

happy reefing,

Josh
Old 01/28/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

That rust converter is oftentimes a phosphoric acid base. It works for a couple of years but you will just be dealing with the problem again eventually. That POR15 is a 50+ year paint.
Old 01/28/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys not sure what product im gonna use yet but thanks for the info. I am hopeing to find someone that has used one of these on an up and running reef with no ill effects before I jump in

Thanks

Joe
Old 01/28/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

PS I have talked to guys that own aquarium stores for 20 years and guys that work at Public aquariums and no one has heard of a metal tank failing because of rust. But I dont want to be the FIRST

Thanks

jd