Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2005, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

Eibl's Angelfish is wasting???

I've had my tank up and running about three months now. All the numbers have stabilized and seem to be ok. I have about 100 lbs of LR and 60 lbs of LS. I added a brown powder tang and a coral beauty about 6 weeks ago and all are doing very well.

I added an Eibl's Angelfish about 2 weeks ago. From the start, it swam in vertical circles and didn't appear to be able to position itself in the water column. It kept swimming up and down along the back corner of the tank. This lasted about a week or so. Finally, he appears to be swimming better... although still remains hidden most of the time. This shyness doesn't concern me... BUT he still has yet to start eating (after 2weeks) and beginning to show signs of wasting. The other pygmy angel is doing well and eats almost anything served.

I've tried the following.... dried bits, flakes, Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies, mysid shrimp, and Cyclop-eez. Nothing seems to attract this little guy. I've only seen him pick at some algae in the rocks once. I,'m concerned he isn't going to make it. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Geoff
Old 01/02/2005, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

i dont know what sea veggies are but i guess he could eat nori (not sure). Have you tried garlic?
Old 01/03/2005, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Maybe the coral beauty is harrassing it and it doesn't feel confortable enough to come out and eat.
Old 01/03/2005, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. When the fish was first introduced, I had a damsel that was occasionally harrassing, but he has been removed and seems to get along well with the other two fish.

The Eibl just doesn't seem interested in eating. How long do you think he can go before he starves??? Also, should I put him into a hospital tank and try to feed him that way (or is that too much more stressful?)
Old 01/03/2005, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

I'd bet the Coral Beauty is harassing him...I wouldn't transfer him to the QT though, too much stress. Did you QT the Eibli in the first place?