Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2004, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Flasher/Fairy Wrasse Questions

Hello - this will be for a 125g.

In my research for our 125g stock, I came to know about the Flasher and Fairy Wrasses. Now...I want to get a few things clear in my head.

Flasher Wrasses - they "flash" their color in the presence of a female? So keeping 1 male/2 females would be a perfect setup to get the "best" out of these fish?

If so, I've looked into the Carpenter's and Filamented Flashers. I think I'm learning towards the Carpenters....but which one grows bigger and is one recommended over the other for any reason?

Also, some older posts I read discuss how females are hard to find. Has anyone had success in getting females? If so, where?

Fairy Wrasses - they can be kept alone and still display great colors? Or do they do better in pairs/trios?

Finally - can these wrasses all coexist? Ideally, I would like to get a trio of flashers and 2 different Fairy Wrasses if they can be kept as singles.

THanks a lot

btw, in case bronco (I think that was it) is reading this...I hear you are a wrasse guru? I happen to see a post where u mention Cap Bay LFS in Roswell...well, I live near the area as well so I was wondering if you knew of any good LFS that carry wrasses in GA.

Thanks =D
Old 09/21/2004, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I'm also a wrasse guru! I love flasher's as well- my favorite wrasse. Yes, flashers "flash" when in the presence of a female, but it's not always necessary. Sometimes they'll flash in front of other fish, but I guess the real reason is unknown. I've also read of people using mirrors to induce their fish to flash.

Filamented and Carpenter's are both great fish. They really are very similar, and both would do fine in your tank, although Carpenter's are more common. There are so many different kinds of flasher wrasse anyway, that are all so similar, that the wrasse you think you are buying may not be the wrasse you are buying- if you can make sense of that.

Online vendors such as www.liveaquaria.com offer both females and males, and are good ways to ensure you're getting what your paying for.

Also, all wrasses including fairy and even flasher can all be kept alone, and will keep their colorations.

And finally, yes, all fairy wrasses can be kept together. They are great, EXTREMELY peaceful fish that make great tank additions. I ahve read rare cases of fairies showing aggression, but it's mainly been only in cases when the wrasse has to defend itself against larger more aggressive fish.

Good luck with these awesome fish! They rock! And will make your tank flourish with color while adding great diversity and movement to your living reef.
Old 09/22/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

As Sting said, flasher wrasses will display for females...but the more common reason I see them flashing is in a territorial dispute - two males flaring up at one another.

Personally, I think you might have better luck in getting a half dozen or more small flashers and letting them grow up together. Aesthetics aside, it's VERY difficult to find females for the vast majority of these wrasses...and when you do find them, it's usually not easy to identify them down to more than three or four possible species! There are exceptions to this, but it's something you want to keep in mind.

I would recommend caution in mixing some of these wrasses. Speaking generally, the flashers are not as territorial as the fairies...and the larger the fairy, the more aggressive it is. They will NOT all coexist - males of similar species do not tend to care much for each other in smaller tanks. It's certainly possible to mix a group of flashers and a couple individual fairies, but do take care in your species choices.
Old 09/22/2004, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Hm well I was considering a trio of flashers. Probably a carpenter's. Should I try for juveniles then or...? Where would they sell these?

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions on obtaining a male + 2 female trio of carpenters? Filamented's?

As for the fairy...I want about 2 individuals.

Any suggestions on two colorful additions that'll coexist together as well as with the flashers?

Thanks!
Old 09/22/2004, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

They also jump. I had a beautiful pair with a really nice super-male. I mean out of this world. One jumped onto the carpet the other into my overflow. Both now dead.
Old 09/22/2004, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

My experience with wrasses is that the flamented flasher wrasse DOES NOT get along with other fairy wrasse. As far as the carpenter's, it is a timid fish, easily bullied around. If your going to add them, try and make them the first fish in. If they are persistently harassed when first introduced, they will hide and starve to death.

Great book I've picked up is intitled "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael. Has 500 different kinds of fish, everything from wrasses, triggers, angelfish, dottybacks, cardinalfish, butterflyfish, damselfish, etc... Little expensive ($30) but it tells you how easy it is to keep, what it eats and how often, reef safe or not, its behavior, and what not to keep it with.
Old 09/22/2004, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

I didn't know Michael had a book on wrasses...it's been a while since I looked at Vol. 1, but I'm pretty sure volumes 2 and 3 don't cover wrasses. Are you referring to his "PocketExpert" book?

If fairy and flasher wrasses are your thing, I've not seen a book come close to Kuiter's "Fairy and Rainbow Wrasses and their Relatives."
Old 09/22/2004, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

My avatar is a lubucki fairy wrasse. Obviously I photo shopped, but it is still a pretty fish. The female, guess what, jumped into the center brace and died the same day.
Old 09/24/2004, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

i was wondering if I could keep a pair of Flasher wrasses instead of a trio? Or do I need a trio for aggression distribution or something?

Also - how do people obtain the female flasher/fairy wrasses then?

Thanks
Old 09/24/2004, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Wow? Lost to the center brace? Something must have been terribly wrong then, because you'd think the fish would have sense enough to flop back over into the water Sorry for your loss.
Old 09/25/2004, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Great thread!

I'm just starting to stock a 300g FOWLR which will be mostly butterflyfish. I'm considering a group of flasher wrasses and would like to get them in and settled before any larger fish. My LFS is getting in 5 Paracheilinus bellae this week
http://www.themarinecenter.com/bellae.htm

Anyone have any experience with these flashers?